• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My photos and trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I thought I'd join the party and start one of these threads for myself... Mostly trains with a few buses, boats and a few other random bits and pieces thrown in for good measure.

I've been interested in photography for years, I'm currently using Fujifilm, mostly an X-T20 with an assortment of lenses and an X100F 23mm fixed lens camera.

I'll start with these...

165113 at Portway Park & Ride, visited in December as while visiting Bristol.
Portway Park And Ride by Adam P, on Flickr

197019 at Deganwy under a very dramatic sky.
197019 Deganwy by Adam P, on Flickr

CrossCountry HST Passing Dawlish during the last month of use in August 2023.
Dawlish HST by Adam P, on Flickr

CrosCountry Voyager passing Milford, near Belper.
Cross Country Voyager by Adam P, on Flickr

175010 At Chester, I've always loved traveling on these units along the North Wales Coast.
Chester - 175010 by Adam P, on Flickr

Last one for now, the DLR at Canary Wharf.
Canary Wharf - DLR by Adam P, on Flickr
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
I like the belper one . I don't personally do station shots myself if I can avoid them.

I loke both, trains in the landscape make for a more impressive shot, but station shots usually add the human element to the photo, if done right.

I've seen photos from the Belper location taken from within the filed, closer to the track, but on my visit, the access point was too overgrown.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
The Dawlish sea wall, Belper and Canary Wharf shots I  really like.
That sea wall spot, I used to sit there on summer visits in the early-mid 1980s.
The Canary Wharf motion-blur perfectly sums up the intense DLR service and my daily commute for several years. :)
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
The Dawlish sea wall, Belper and Canary Wharf shots I  really like.
That sea wall spot, I used to sit there on summer visits in the early-mid 1980s.
The Canary Wharf motion-blur perfectly sums up the intense DLR service and my daily commute for several years. :)

I find the DLR network fascinating and despite the Canary Wharf area supposedly being a bit soulless, very photogenic.

Classic first generation DMU's I've always found interesting...

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, class 119 to Stansted... if only!
Idridgehay to Stansted Airport by Adam P, on Flickr


Or maybe Shackerstone to the Conwy Valley...
M55005 by Adam P, on Flickr
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Classic first generation DMU's I've always found interesting...
My teens and my early 20s involved many trips on "classic" DMUs. The BRC&W 104s I thought were delightfully "throaty". GRC&W 119s, I found so comfortable, especially on services with declassified first class! But I enjoyed whatever DMU (or EMU) that offered me a view through the cab windows. 8-)

On a different vein - I set myself a photo challenge, Nov 2023 to May 2024, for the railway's "human factors". Here's a few.
 

Attachments

  • Workers_Marchwood.jpg
    Workers_Marchwood.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Workers_Warblington.JPG
    Workers_Warblington.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Waiting_Cosham.JPG
    Waiting_Cosham.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Waiting_Liss.jpg
    Waiting_Liss.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Railfan_BluebellRly.JPG
    Railfan_BluebellRly.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Railfan_Bedhampton.jpg
    Railfan_Bedhampton.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Crew_Cosham.jpg
    Crew_Cosham.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Crew_BeaulieuRoad.JPG
    Crew_BeaulieuRoad.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Waiting_Bedhampton.jpg
    Waiting_Bedhampton.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Can't say I've ever been a fan of black and white but those are very nice, especially the narrow boat, where was it taken, the railway and canal look very close?
Thanks. I'd noticed in your post #3, you said: "...station shots usually add the human element to the photo, if done right."

My photo of 59005 + 59004 with a Westbury bound "jumbo" working, is where the 'Berks and Hants' line runs beside the Kennet and Avon Canal. I've added my original to post #7.
Many good photo locations between Froxfield (where I took that shot) and Crofton. Noon to mid afternoon typically best for sun on the trains.
The railway and canal are similarly close together at Heyford (between Oxford and Banbury), on GWR's line to Birmingham.
 
Last edited:

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,728
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I really like the Voyagers shot. In the 1980s, my family visited my maternal grandmother in Exmouth each July - and I used to blag at least two trips to Dawlish and Langstone Rock per holiday! Happy days of Peaks, 47s, 50s and HSTs thundering past Dawlish's beach.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
Been meaning to post this for nearly 2 months, better late than never I suppose...

In the February half term, me and my 8 year old son took a day trip up to Glasgow, starting with a 350 up to Crewe from Lichfield, then onto 390008 from Crewe to Glasgow, arriving at around 10:30am.

390008 by Adam P, on Flickr

Once in Glasgow, we had half an hour on the Glasgow Subway, to ride some of the new trains, I have to say, they are nice!

Glasgow Subway by Adam P, on Flickr

From Glasgow, we got a 380012 to Largs, where we took a ride of the Calmac ferry MV Loch Shira over to the Isle of Cumbrae and back, complete with lightning storm!

380102 by Adam P, on Flickr

MV Loch Shira by Adam P, on Flickr

Isle of Cumbrae by Adam P, on Flickr

We got 380109 back into Glasgow which left us with enough time to grab some food from Wetherspoons before heading back to Glasgow Central to catch the 1730 Avanti back across the border.

380101 + 380109 by Adam P, on Flickr

All in all, a very enjoyable and memorable day that I'll certainly be looking to repeat at some point over the summer.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
What an epic adventure, well done and I'm glad you and your son enjoyed it.
Takes me back to Scottish Rail Rover trips, in the summers of 1988 and 1990. Weather was the same but a lot more throaty locos in those days!

Very long day, we left home at about 0530 to get the bus to the station, so the wife could use the car during the day and didn't get home until about 2345...

I have vague memories of doing a similar trip in the last days of the WCML loco hauled stock under Virgin before the 390s took over, as much as I like the 390s, they don't have the same character!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top