Hi and thanks for the update. Don't panic!
GTR will very likely be willing to settle out of court if you respond apologetically and briefly. See posts by
@Hadders suggesting points to make, but certainly tell them about your change of address and the fact that you told them about it!
if you could post a (redacted) copy of the summons, so we can know what GTR are saying, what law/byelaw is involved etc, that would help us give more advice. And feel free to post your draft reply for us to comment.
Good afternoon and Happy New Year.
Thanks for your kind reply, time and dedication.
I have attached the Witness Statement filled by the Govia's officer who stopped me and my reply to Govia would be as follows:
Dear Prosecutor
Re: GT Prosecution Case No: ****************
I am writing to you in response to the Summons dated 30/12/2024.
On 29/08/24, I was issued a Witness Statement Receipt with reference No. **************
On Friday the 15/10/24 I emailed you my change of address.
You informed me on the phone that your notice of Intention to Prosecute letter was sent on the 23/10/24 to my previous address, **********************, which was the refuge where I was living.
The refuge told me that they never received any letters addressed to me. Please, find attached their letter
(Exhibit 1) confirming that.
I only received the Single Justice Procedure Notice to my current address on 30/12/24.
I am very grateful to have the opportunity to explain what happened on 29/08/24 now after informing you that I never received your letter.
On 29/08/24 I was living in a refuge and rushing to the train station to take my 2 years old to his nursery in ************. It was the first day of his settling period and I was late. When I arrived at ******* Train Station my son was throwing a tantrum, screaming whilst struggling through the buggy’s straps and chucking his toys around.
I would normally top up my Oyster Card at ****** Station, but as my son was being unruly, I knew it would be difficult for me to do so at the fare machine, so I chose to use my debit card as a reliable solution.
I remember rushing through the open gate using my debit card as my train was about to arrive. I was very distracted by my toddler’s tantrums and worried he might launch his cars at other members of the public, as well as suddenly getting off the buggy in a busy station. My son has a patch in his heart, and I live in constant fear that he may fall and hit his chest.
When I noticed the ticket officers I was in **** Hill, four stops before my final destination. Had I knowingly intended to skip the fare I would have had enough time to get off the train and avoid being questioned by the officers. However, not only did I stay but also waited for them to approach me and give them my debit card. I was confident that my fare had been paid by the debit card so when the officer asked me why payment was not appearing I assumed it could be my bank since on other occasions my debit card had not worked on the bus and train.
I contacted Barclays Bank, and they said that my debit card had been declined due to reasons explained in
Exhibit 2. I still do not know why my card was declined by the issuer as I had funds in it and it was not frozen.
It was a difficult time, I was very absent minded due to being in a refuge with my two kids, suffering from complex PTSD. My hippocampus has shrunk due to trauma affecting my memory and concentration and my anxiety levels were significantly high. See
Exhibit 1.
In 16 years of living in this country, I have always paid my fares and never committed any crimes. I am incredibly mortified for the inconvenience that deeply embarrasses me.
I am and was well aware of the consequences of not paying a fare.
If I were to go to court, I would have to disclose again the particulars of my mental health and circumstances. This would be extremely triggering for me. I never intended to skip a fare and have never had this issue before.
I would be enormously grateful to settle this matter outside court. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare and all your administrative and legal costs in dealing with this matter.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
******* *********
Exhibit 1 and 3 is a letter from the refuge explaining my circumstances, and mental health and that they never received any letters for me.
Exhibit 2 is an email from Barclays saying that my card had been declined by the card issuer.
T H A N K Y O U !!!!!!