• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My idea for Waterloo to regain through services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
The most useful use would probably have been to have some LSWML services run through to Cannon Street for the City, Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, the District Line and the Central Line. But there isn't the spare capacity for that today.

Relieving the Drain would be the best usage if this idea ever came to fruition, so Cannon Street it would then be. Trouble is, the Cannon Street of thirty years ago with weekend closing and an offpeak shuttle to London Bridge is long gone so where's the capacity there now?

As books have been mentioned, Andrew Martin's 'Necropolis Railway' novel is worth a plug too- not the literary quality of my hero H.G. of course, but then what is?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Some of those deep level shelters in South London and Northern Line fast tunnels do still exist, (they have been mentioned in other threads on this forum.) it would be good to have a sort of parallel Northern line, express.

Yes, I think the Waterloo link line was used by Queen Victoria's special train as mentioned here.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Sorry - just to show that I can be a railway history pedant - the site of the Necropolis station (per the 1872 OS map) was on the south (actually it's east) side of the approach tracks roughly at the point where the underpass which the 521 and 211 buses and the taxis use to get to the station concourse comes out.

Thanks, then I have also been misinformed. Possibly by someone having confused York Road (then) and York Road (now).
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Three better ways to Angel I have tried:

a) Northern Line CHX branch southbound to Kennington then City Branch northbound (works well and avoids the Waterloo crush on any line going northbound in the peak)

b) 341 bus all the way - variable depending on time of day - my record is 18 minutes with a racing driver and not much traffic!

c) 521 bus to Chancery Lane then walk - more reliable than the 341 because the 521 takes the Aldwych underpass but takes a bit longer!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Now you have put your finger on a real benefit! Not a churchgoer but guess which I would go for??
Interestingly TFL journey planner didn't suggest any of those! I guess it would if I said bus only but the first one isn't bus only.
 

cyclebytrain

Member
Joined
11 Jul 2009
Messages
311
I can't believe that no one in this thread has yet commented that this idea would at a stroke make possible both trains from Ashford to Ashford and Gillingham to Gillingham (and Ashford to Gillingham of course)...
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
I don't think anyone has previously posted this link which I expect to be of interest (if it works):

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101201649

Yes - the comparison of this with the 1872 version which I have is interesting as in the 23 years between the two the north and south stations were built. However I suspect that we ought to transfer this subject to the railway historical area!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't believe that no one in this thread has yet commented that this idea would at a stroke make possible both trains from Ashford to Ashford and Gillingham to Gillingham (and Ashford to Gillingham of course)...

And just possibly Gillingham to Ashford via Ashford and Gillingham, although it might take a long time!
 

JamesRowden

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
1,762
Location
Ilfracombe
I can't believe that no one in this thread has yet commented that this idea would at a stroke make possible both trains from Ashford to Ashford and Gillingham to Gillingham (and Ashford to Gillingham of course)...

And just possibly Gillingham to Ashford via Ashford and Gillingham, although it might take a long time!

And trains stopping at Martin Mill (Kent), Ashford International, Ashford (Surrey) and Martins Heron (Bracknell).
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I can't believe that no one in this thread has yet commented that this idea would at a stroke make possible both trains from Ashford to Ashford and Gillingham to Gillingham (and Ashford to Gillingham of course)...

But, unfortunately, not Hayes to Hayes.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,704
Location
Hope Valley
I can't believe that no one in this thread has yet commented that this idea would at a stroke make possible both trains from Ashford to Ashford and Gillingham to Gillingham (and Ashford to Gillingham of course)...

Such a route has long been possible via the South London Line. (Just back from doing Hanborough to Wanborough BTW.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top