Yes it would have done a lot of what the IEP is being ordered for. Probably at half the price.The development of an AC variant of the Class 444 (naturally to be numbered 344) is well overdue.
Yes it would have done a lot of what the IEP is being ordered for. Probably at half the price.The development of an AC variant of the Class 444 (naturally to be numbered 344) is well overdue.
But with 100/110mph top speed vs 140mph for IEP, meaning the latter will be faster and easier to path with [other] InterCity services - if I've said that correctly. Half the price is very vague, could you be a bit more specific please, with stats preferably.
RAGNARØKR;1295142 said:Yes it would have done a lot of what the IEP is being ordered for. Probably at half the price.
So you are thinking like an accountant then. How many seats can we cram in. Fortunately I do not need to use WCML very often.
Off topic: that's why we don't need HS2, just remove the legislation, and run faster, existing trains.
Personally I think I'd rather keep the safe slower railway we have than have a more dangerous high speed railway...
There are reasons why we need in-cab signalling to go faster and it isn't just 'elf an safety gone mad' legislation. Also worth noting that we are one of the few countries to have extensive running above 100mph without in-cab signalling so we're already on something of a fringe here.
In which case you are hardly an authority on the relative merits of Pendolino's. Besides, customers would much rather seat down than stand, surely you can understand that?
If we desperately needed it (capacity)
and the seating does not match up to the windows so some airline seats you have no window.
I think the class 168 is a great example of a modern comfortable train. Why couldn't they have designed the pendelinos in the same way
Is a fault of the much vaunted Mk3 also...
I think the class 168 is a great example of a modern comfortable train. Why couldn't they have designed the pendelinos in the same way. I travel on them enough to be able to make a qualified judgement that they are perhaps the worst designed trains for a long time. For example due to the need to tilt you cannot see out of the window if you are standing up as they are so small, and the seating does not match up to the windows so some airline seats you have no window. Overhead racks are far too small... Need I go on?
I think the class 168 is a great example of a modern comfortable train.
Why couldn't they have designed the pendelinos in the same way.
I travel on them enough to be able to make a qualified judgement that they are perhaps the worst designed trains for a long time.
For example due to the need to tilt you cannot see out of the window if you are standing up as they are so small
and the seating does not match up to the windows so some airline seats you have no window. Overhead racks are far too small
I think the class 168 is a great example of a modern comfortable train. Why couldn't they have designed the pendelinos in the same way. I travel on them enough to be able to make a qualified judgement that they are perhaps the worst designed trains for a long time. For example due to the need to tilt you cannot see out of the window if you are standing up as they are so small, and the seating does not match up to the windows so some airline seats you have no window. Overhead racks are far too small... Need I go on?

Who wants to guess what I am about to suggest?
....
....
An East Anglia Shinkansen running out of Liverpool Street to Norwich, entirely in tunnels within London (probably no station at Stratford though).
You probably get better value for money considering the absurd cost escalation that occurs whenever major upgrade work is planned, and it allows the existing slow timetable to stay as it or even get better.
Enabling the trains to tilt improves journey times which is a big selling point over the M6 and air travel given the check in times. Customers would much rather be able to sit down than have a view. And given how much they are paying for their tickets they are quite right in expecting to have a seat. I think it's pretty clear from your posts that you don't want to see the WCML prosper and simply want to wallow in nostalgia.
Regarding the design of the pendo's yes it does get very cosy on them when it is busy, also the all famed and desired "power sockets" are only available at table seats whereas on a 168 they are at every seat![]()
Regarding the design of the pendo's yes it does get very cosy on them when it is busy, also the all famed and desired "power sockets" are only available at table seats whereas on a 168 they are at every seat![]()
I never said that!! I want hs2 to be built to free up spare capacity on the WCML to encourage more freight and stopping services to encourage more ppl from their cars. A dedicated high speed line wouldn't require tilting trains so all the problems are resolved!
HS2 to Birmingham is many years from completion, let alone the extension to Manchester. So what do you expect customers to do in the mean time? Please refrain from making the assumption that all customers are rail enthusiasts obsessed with Mk3 coaches.
I'm sorry who said anything about rail enthusiasts? Like I said 168's are modern trains that are very nice. It is just a shame the pendo's are like they are. And why replace what is on GEML when what is already there works fine?
I am not usually a defender of Loco-haulage by any means, being mostly interested in units. But I really don't understand this constant obsession with doing away with the 90's and Mk3's on the Norwich line.
Like I said I think the 168 is a very comfortable modern train. The seats are very nice on them!
...but that doesn't mean that a "168 vs 390" argument is comparing apples with apples...
Ah but I think the seats on the 168 are better than the 390, I mean you don't need first class on the 168.
Fair enough - you were asking why couldn't they have designed the Pendolini in the same way as the 168s - I've tried to explain that they are very different beasts