Was it joined up BR thinking that introduced the additional routes from Gatwick Airport via Guildford when Cross Country were running the service?No chance. With joined up BR thinking maybe. Those days are long gone.
I would like more Cross Country trains via Guildford so that I can buy more advanced purchase tickets to Oxford. They don't seem to like selling them unless the train departs from Guildford. Hence on Sundays with engineering works you can get for more advanced purchase tickets from Guildford, if trains are diverted that way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Okay, I'll go along with this. If XC ran to Gatwick it'd be 1 change, the same as it is now [emoji14] Although I do appreciate your point: airport pax don't want changes
The lower SWML doesn't have the capacity constraints that the BML has. To me it does look very childish as you seem to be saying that if (I) can't have any, no one else can. What benefit is there to terminating XC at Reading? It doesn't make Brighton services any more beneficial so I don't see any reason why? If anything, surely the Basingstoke - London will have less capacity than Basingstoke - Bournemouth, so if anything XC services to Bournemouth are better than additional Bournemouth - London services?
Taking price out of the equation (by ignoring GatEx) I would change at StP for Thameslink*. As above, I know that airport passengers don't want changes. However, I don't expect the railway to be run purely for my convenience. I think that XC links to Airports is something that is good and should be provided where possible. However, I don't think it should be XC to Airports above anything else.
Its interesting that your argument doesn't seem to be the same for the rest of the airports. XC want to divert their 1tph serving Birmingham Intl away from it via Solihull (doesn't provide any extra links) yet that hasn't got a mention even though keeping this service would be a lot easier than bringing XC back to Gatwick. Why no argument that the XC that currently runs via Solihull to go via Coventry? Why not eliminate the change at Piccadilly and run XC to Manchester Airport? Heathrow only has direct services to Paddington. People seem to manage.
*In reality I probably wouldn't take the train to Gatwick anyway as the people I'd travel with would think that getting any train (changes or not) would be too much hassle [emoji38]
If we want to tempt Gatwick passengers onto the train, I think offering 'Airport advances' and things like that would do a much better job
Could the lower SWML be put to better uses than XC using the paths or is it simply the case that their are no other better uses since there is no demand in any other form than XC using it.
Is their any spare capacity from Portsmouth via Guildford and Reading or is only having two lines a big problem?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well Guildford's daily service in the morning and evening return is a token gesture. It may be simply rub for route knowledge purposes but it is still only once a day.Surely though, the extra capacity at Redhill is already clearly earmarked for the enhanced FGW service? IIRC XC's service to Gatwick/Brighton was a bit of a token gesture, and by no means a regular all day option.
Has anyone got the final timings immediately before they ceased to hand?
Is hindsight making these former XC services seem more regular and more important than they really were?
ISTM that NR and DfT would prefer to see a reliable clock face Brighton to London service through Gatwick, rather than stick a few random XC's into the mix over the course of a day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Out of interest, is there space to create passing facilities on the coastway? I'm not saying paths exist and it would happen. Purely from a hypothetical stand point.But they aren't available. The coastway paths are used by Southern for the Brighton - Southampton service, and the mix of fast and stopping services (and lack of passing facilities) means there are no paths for further services.