Not building as we might normally think here but if you are doing a lot if detail just as challenging!
1; Whole of Glasgow Tramway System:
Several years ago whilst at the Annual Scottish Model rail in Glasgow I came across a really giant sketch map of the former Glasgow Tramway closed in 1962. As a wee boy, I had fell in love with the trams and it gave me an idea for doing maybe part of it via a railway simulator. In the end, I bought Auran Trainz which is far easier to build even for a novice. I had no intention of building the whole thing as was too big - only ghe West where I live. However I got frustrated at tram lines finishing in blank places so then it was another part then another . It took me off an on about three and a half years and I walked every single route or should say where they once were. Probably walked around 140 miles and carefully traced each terminus. Glasgow tranways was the largest outside of London and I was determined it would be remembered in a practical fashion. Although modern trams can be run on my project, I have all the Glasgow ones - Standard, Kilmarnock bogie, Single-Decker, Coronation, Cunarder. When I get round to tinkling with some wee passing zilches I intend to get it up on the Trainz site so those with the Trainz Sim can use it.
2. Northern Ireland Railways:
The Province of Ulster is the worst of the home countries for drastic rail closures decades ago. From nearly 900 miles, the N.I.R inherited around 220 miles but still challenging to build. To date, I have with scenery, built to following.
(1) Belfast - Bangor.
(2) Belfast - Londonderry.
(3) Lisburn - Antrim Junction.
(4) Coleraine - Portrush.
(5) Belfast - Newry/Border.
(6) Belfast - Larne - still to complete vut got as far as past Magheramorne Stm.
In addition, track has been laid from Newry across the Border to Dublin (Connolly). So far no scenery bus stations put in at Dundalk, Drogheda and the platforms at Dublin. The DART branch to Howth will be included as will the goods only to the Tara Mines. If I can stick to this would allow Belfast-Dublin "Enterprise Express" to be run.
In Trainz you can programme what a train does or drive it or hop from one to another. Block signalling works also if a train in the section you will get a red signal. Signal crossing give the warning sounds and lights, barriers lower and cars stop. On the tramway you have the same operating principles and an instant map on pressing "M". Points on trams or rail can be changed on the screen the map or inside a cab.This can take up as much time as a model railway but gives you plenty of opportunity beyond a room or garage! For a look please visit my two websites....
www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com
www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com
1; Whole of Glasgow Tramway System:
Several years ago whilst at the Annual Scottish Model rail in Glasgow I came across a really giant sketch map of the former Glasgow Tramway closed in 1962. As a wee boy, I had fell in love with the trams and it gave me an idea for doing maybe part of it via a railway simulator. In the end, I bought Auran Trainz which is far easier to build even for a novice. I had no intention of building the whole thing as was too big - only ghe West where I live. However I got frustrated at tram lines finishing in blank places so then it was another part then another . It took me off an on about three and a half years and I walked every single route or should say where they once were. Probably walked around 140 miles and carefully traced each terminus. Glasgow tranways was the largest outside of London and I was determined it would be remembered in a practical fashion. Although modern trams can be run on my project, I have all the Glasgow ones - Standard, Kilmarnock bogie, Single-Decker, Coronation, Cunarder. When I get round to tinkling with some wee passing zilches I intend to get it up on the Trainz site so those with the Trainz Sim can use it.
2. Northern Ireland Railways:
The Province of Ulster is the worst of the home countries for drastic rail closures decades ago. From nearly 900 miles, the N.I.R inherited around 220 miles but still challenging to build. To date, I have with scenery, built to following.
(1) Belfast - Bangor.
(2) Belfast - Londonderry.
(3) Lisburn - Antrim Junction.
(4) Coleraine - Portrush.
(5) Belfast - Newry/Border.
(6) Belfast - Larne - still to complete vut got as far as past Magheramorne Stm.
In addition, track has been laid from Newry across the Border to Dublin (Connolly). So far no scenery bus stations put in at Dundalk, Drogheda and the platforms at Dublin. The DART branch to Howth will be included as will the goods only to the Tara Mines. If I can stick to this would allow Belfast-Dublin "Enterprise Express" to be run.
In Trainz you can programme what a train does or drive it or hop from one to another. Block signalling works also if a train in the section you will get a red signal. Signal crossing give the warning sounds and lights, barriers lower and cars stop. On the tramway you have the same operating principles and an instant map on pressing "M". Points on trams or rail can be changed on the screen the map or inside a cab.This can take up as much time as a model railway but gives you plenty of opportunity beyond a room or garage! For a look please visit my two websites....
www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com
www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com