Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Thanks
I thought the 'Jubilee' was another amazing model - the only problem is I removed the connecting rods in an attempt to fix an issue with part of them and haven't been able to put them back on. It's a real shame because the engine was so detailed and performed really well.
I'd love to see one of these for real at some point - that photo makes me want to even more! That looks as though it has more of a grey roof than mine: I expect that's from years of being 'weathered' by the clag from the engine
Thanks! I got four test train/departmental coaches not too long ago from my local model shop. All Hornby; 1 Mk2 (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 BG (NR yellow), 1 Mk1 (BR Old Oak Common Yellow), 1 Mk1 (Lab 10 red+blue livery). They're lovely coaches. I'm planning on getting a Class 31 at some point to fit my TTS 31 decoder into (currently in 50046), so I'll probably go for NR yellow to match the coaches. The plan is to get a Class 31 loco and Class 50 TTS decoder at the same time so I can swap the decoders into the right engines, but the problem is finding somewhere which has a decoder in stock...
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
==========================
The tenth day of the OJMR advent calendar sticks with DCC and the east end of London... View attachment 86948
This is 47164, from the Bachmann 25-2014 25th Anniversary set, which also included 45552 Silver Jubilee. This engine is one the best-performing in my fleet; it doesn't hesitate on bits of the track where other engines stop and it can do really slow to really fast. I say we've gone to East London with this model as I believe the real thing was actually turned out in this special livery by Stratford Depot, London, although I may be wrong. This photo doesn't show the front lights, the cab lights, and barely shows the driver in the cab, but I can assure you that they are all there! In the background of the photo, you can see the latest addition to the railway - more news on this soon...
I have seen that in service on a Norwich train and at open days at Stratford depot!
Please comment on my advent as endless forced edits rather than new posts are a pain! @Cowley - can you get that daft annoying feature removed if posted on another day?
Thanks
I thought the 'Jubilee' was another amazing model - the only problem is I removed the connecting rods in an attempt to fix an issue with part of them and haven't been able to put them back on. It's a real shame because the engine was so detailed and performed really well.
I'd love to see one of these for real at some point - that photo makes me want to even more! That looks as though it has more of a grey roof than mine: I expect that's from years of being 'weathered' by the clag from the engine
Ah yes, connecting rods are rather intricate and best left alone in my experience, but sometimes you have no choice. Perhaps weathering the roof could be a future project for you
I have seen that in service on a Norwich train and at open days at Stratford depot!
Please comment on my advent as endless forced edits rather than new posts are a pain! @Cowley - can you get that daft annoying feature removed if posted on another day?
Ah brilliant, that must have been quite a nice thing to see!
I'll make a comment on your thread - I keep reading it but forget to post as I'm always on my phone when I read it
Ah yes, connecting rods are rather intricate and best left alone in my experience, but sometimes you have no choice. Perhaps weathering the roof could be a future project for you
I wish I hadn't bothered trying to fix it now but we are where we are I suppose. I might think about weathering the roof at some point but I quite like the shiny aspect - sets it apart
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
=======================
The eleventh day of December sees me being very tired and busy and so you'll have to do with a photo I already have....
This model is the Hornby 6021 'King Richard II' - it's fitted with TTS but I believe there's an issue with the motor so it won't run more than a few millimetres. Apart from that, it's a lovely model in a brilliant livery - I actually would like to get an A1, probably a Bachmann one, in this livery at some point to go with my Hornby 60163.
Hope you enjoyed.
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
======================
The twelfth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us look at quite an interesting engine...
This is an old Lima Class 50 which I repainted into 50007/50014 (GBRf) in Easter 2019. I made a thread on the subject on the forums at the time and it was the first model I'd repainted - which is actually still true! My plan is to fix some of the small issues with the livery application at some point - I may even get a new bodyshell to use as the paint may not stay on the gloss varnish applied to this bodyshell. This engine came from Hattons and was DCC fitted by them but unfortunately no longer runs, even after I tried to fix it by re-soldering an unconnected wire.
Hope you liked this one.
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
===================
The thirteenth day of the OJMR advent calendar has not been unlucky - in fact, quite the reverse; I've managed to get the terminating/bay platforms of Oldmoor Junction station fully working! To celebrate, a certain GWR engine has been running between Oldmoor Junction and Eastfield Road...
Today's engine is 2759, an oddball in my collection in that it wasn't an engine I'd planned to get - it came from a family friend via Facebook marketplace or whatever it's called and has actually proved to be a 'really useful engine', to quote a certain vicar...
This engine has been used fairly extensively today on out-and-back runs between Oldmoor Junction and Eastfield Road, the what-will-be 1980s/1990s-themed station on my layout, making full use of the GWR/BR autocoach, to the right of the frame in the above photo. I'll make a larger update post at some point when I get around to taking photos and cleaning the layout!
Ah brilliant, that must have been quite a nice thing to see!
I'll make a comment on your thread - I keep reading it but forget to post as I'm always on my phone when I read it
I wish I hadn't bothered trying to fix it now but we are where we are I suppose. I might think about weathering the roof at some point but I quite like the shiny aspect - sets it apart
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
=======================
The eleventh day of December sees me being very tired and busy and so you'll have to do with a photo I already have....
View attachment 86985
This model is the Hornby 6021 'King Richard II' - it's fitted with TTS but I believe there's an issue with the motor so it won't run more than a few millimetres. Apart from that, it's a lovely model in a brilliant livery - I actually would like to get an A1, probably a Bachmann one, in this livery at some point to go with my Hornby 60163.
Hope you enjoyed.
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
======================
The twelfth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us look at quite an interesting engine...
View attachment 87043
This is an old Lima Class 50 which I repainted into 50007/50014 (GBRf) in Easter 2019. I made a thread on the subject on the forums at the time and it was the first model I'd repainted - which is actually still true! My plan is to fix some of the small issues with the livery application at some point - I may even get a new bodyshell to use as the paint may not stay on the gloss varnish applied to this bodyshell. This engine came from Hattons and was DCC fitted by them but unfortunately no longer runs, even after I tried to fix it by re-soldering an unconnected wire.
Hope you liked this one.
-Peter
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
===================
The thirteenth day of the OJMR advent calendar has not been unlucky - in fact, quite the reverse; I've managed to get the terminating/bay platforms of Oldmoor Junction station fully working! To celebrate, a certain GWR engine has been running between Oldmoor Junction and Eastfield Road...
View attachment 87093
Today's engine is 2759, an oddball in my collection in that it wasn't an engine I'd planned to get - it came from a family friend via Facebook marketplace or whatever it's called and has actually proved to be a 'really useful engine', to quote a certain vicar...
This engine has been used fairly extensively today on out-and-back runs between Oldmoor Junction and Eastfield Road, the what-will-be 1980s/1990s-themed station on my layout, making full use of the GWR/BR autocoach, to the right of the frame in the above photo. I'll make a larger update post at some point when I get around to taking photos and cleaning the layout!
The Great Western Railway has always been my favourite of the Big Four and the layout definitely has a Western Region theme, although there are a few interlopers from the Eastern Region!
Thanks - I've been to Didcot more times than I can count and that's where things like the idea for a Railway Centre on the layout came from. I really need to look into getting a second autocoach and a 14xx at some point!
Thanks! Most of the engines are those from @reddragon and each of them is destined for the paintshop in the not-too-distant future (in fact, I'm currently working on ideas for painting some of the engines and will share these thoughts soon). I never understood how people could have such large collections until fairly recently - I seem to be the crazy cat lady of model railways...!
================================
The fourteenth day of the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway Advent Calendar is the second of two Class 50s on the layout, and it has a (somewhat) interesting* backstory...
This is 50046 'Ajax' and I believe it was the third engine I got for the layout. I chose this one four years ago, I think, after having seen 50042 'Triumph' at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in Cornwall when on holiday and having become really interested in the class. I went for 50046 - the other Hornby option at the time being 50024 - as the number was closer to 50042, therefore making a potential re-numbering easier. Forward thinking hasn't been seen on such a scale on the OJMR since! This engine was from a Hornby section of a shop, both of which have now sadly closed (the Hornby section having closed before the shop; from what I remember, it closed as this was the time when Hornby were in financial issues a few years ago), and was originally a display example - I expect this engine is probably the most-viewed engine on the layout, having been seen by many from behind a window in that shop! The less said about the people selling it, though, the better; let's just say they weren't best-suited to selling models and opening boxes was an issue.
Anyway - that was quite a long description; I hope you enjoyed!
-Peter
*(Please note interesting description may not actually be that interesting)
Well Peter I think you should keep at as 50046 in a way because being bit of an 80s Laira loco it’s had their treatment of receiving a Laira black roof. 50042 always had a grey one and was quite well known for its shabby appearance when allocated to the DCWA sector at the end of its days.
I must admit that 50042 was my favourite 50 so I was really pleased that it ended up at Bodmin.
Well Peter I think you should keep at as 50046 in a way because being bit of an 80s Laira loco it’s had their treatment of receiving a Laira black roof. 50042 always had a grey one and was quite well known for its shabby appearance when allocated to the DCWA sector at the end of its days.
I must admit that 50042 was my favourite 50 so I was really pleased that it ended up at Bodmin.
Ah OK - thanks for the info; it's been so long since I got the engine and I haven't done anything with it yet so I think I'll probably wait and see if I can get a Lima 50042 - I've seen them on eBay a few times.
===============
Because I completely forgot to do anything for the OJMR advent calendar yesterday, I thought I'd do two engines today - do not adjust your sets!
For the sixteenth day, we see D6830 not once, but twice! These are two Triang models I believe, and this photo shows the two liveries Triang produced them in AFAIK. The blue one came from the Severn Valley Railway, specifically Kidderminster, a couple of years ago and was quite fun to run around the layout until the motor gave up (I think it's having a sulk now it's not the only 37 on the layout ), whereas the green one came from @reddragon and, when I can persuade it to move, is a very smooth runner compared to its blue twin. Having taken a look at the motor shows it to be different to that of the blue example, but apart from that, I'm clueless as to how the two compare mechanically! They have a magnet in the motor and the motor bogie on the blue one, at least, is quite useful as it can pick up track pins after I've finished work on the railway!
Ah OK - thanks for the info; it's been so long since I got the engine and I haven't done anything with it yet so I think I'll probably wait and see if I can get a Lima 50042 - I've seen them on eBay a few times.
===============
Because I completely forgot to do anything for the OJMR advent calendar yesterday, I thought I'd do two engines today - do not adjust your sets! View attachment 87223
For the sixteenth day, we see D6830 not once, but twice! These are two Triang models I believe, and this photo shows the two liveries Triang produced them in AFAIK. The blue one came from the Severn Valley Railway, specifically Kidderminster, a couple of years ago and was quite fun to run around the layout until the motor gave up (I think it's having a sulk now it's not the only 37 on the layout ), whereas the green one came from @reddragon and, when I can persuade it to move, is a very smooth runner compared to its blue twin. Having taken a look at the motor shows it to be different to that of the blue example, but apart from that, I'm clueless as to how the two compare mechanically! They have a magnet in the motor and the motor bogie on the blue one, at least, is quite useful as it can pick up track pins after I've finished work on the railway!
Ha! I've got two of the same Triang DMU motor cars, with the same number, and I thought that was bad - now I've got three of the same engine; it's like Noah's Ark, two of everything!
Ha! I've got two of the same Triang DMU motor cars, with the same number, and I thought that was bad - now I've got three of the same engine; it's like Noah's Ark, two of everything!
The seventeenth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us take a look at the star of recent conversation, 37541...
This engine is a fictional one in that 37541 was never built! This is one of the four Class 37s now on the layout, and is one of the best-running ones. The front end is more like the 37s I've seen on the national network, considering a lot of them still carry this design. 37541 came from @reddragon and will require a repaint and renumbering before I can consider it to be a main part of the layout really. The other end also needs a bit of work as the two circles for where the lights would go on the real thing are just holes and so is the bit where the front light box would be.
The seventeenth day of the OJMR advent calendar sees us take a look at the star of recent conversation, 37541...
View attachment 87257
This engine is a fictional one in that 37541 was never built! This is one of the four Class 37s now on the layout, and is one of the best-running ones. The front end is more like the 37s I've seen on the national network, considering a lot of them still carry this design. 37541 came from @reddragon and will require a repaint and renumbering before I can consider it to be a main part of the layout really. The other end also needs a bit of work as the two circles for where the lights would go on the real thing are just holes and so is the bit where the front light box would be.
Wow that looks like it’s had an interesting life.
The reason it’s got that arrangement with the lights is because it’s a model of a refurbished one (originally numbered either 375xx or 377xx). That’s the treatment former split headcode ones received when they were refurbished in the 1980s, there’s still quite a few around, and you can also tell it was a refurbished one by the grilles on the side of the nose. I guess it’s a Lima model?
Wow that looks like it’s had an interesting life.
The reason it’s got that arrangement with the lights is because it’s a model of a refurbished one (originally numbered either 375xx or 377xx). That’s the treatment former split headcode ones received when they were refurbished in the 1980s, there’s still quite a few around, and you can also tell it was a refurbished one by the grilles on the side of the nose. I guess it’s a Lima model?
It definitely does look well-loved, doesn't it?
That's really interesting - thanks for the explanation. I'm really quite a novice when it comes to this sort of difference between different diesels so it's always nice to learn. I believe it is a Lima model, yes.
I was younger than you (I think) when they started refurbishing some of the 37s, they were already twenty years old then. Amazing that they’re still roaming the network 35 years later!
I was younger than you (I think) when they started refurbishing some of the 37s, they were already twenty years old then. Amazing that they’re still roaming the network 35 years later!
I'm always impressed, and amazed, that the 37s are still running around doing 'proper' jobs like working on measurement trains and the like. I saw a couple on an LSL private charter a short while ago; they'd been done up in BR green and really looked the part! I'm thinking about maybe doing one of the 37s I've got in that livery...
I'm always impressed, and amazed, that the 37s are still running around doing 'proper' jobs like working on measurement trains and the like. I saw a couple on an LSL private charter a short while ago; they'd been done up in BR green and really looked the part! I'm thinking about maybe doing one of the 37s I've got in that livery...
English Electric built their locos with standard parts, heavily over Engineered and near indestructible. Whilst other preserved / older locos will eventually give up as parts become impossible to restore and old EE loco like a class 08 will be dug up in 1000 years and start first time!
English Electric built their locos with standard parts, heavily over Engineered and near indestructible. Whilst other preserved / older locos will eventually give up as parts become impossible to restore and old EE loco like a class 08 will be dug up in 1000 years and start first time!
Haha - brilliant English Electric engines and Nokia phones will form the backbone of the world in a thousand years then!
========================
The eighteenth day of the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway advent calendar brings us to a standard BR diesel...
This is D1676 'Vulcan' - a Class 47 from @reddragon - and is currently in British Railways green. It's an alright runner but needs a proper service and a good clean (along with a buffer, which I've just noticed is missing). In between taking this photo and finishing this post, I've got distracted and removed the large lines between the colours, along with the headcode boxes, in the first step towards turning this engine into 47376 from the GWSR. It's probably the first engine I'll have repainted from the lot I was given and I'm quite looking forward to it. My plan is to maybe make a couple of GWSR engines from the ones I've got.
Haha
Over the past hour or so, I've gone and removed the prominent lines between the colours on the bodyshell sides, removed the headcode boxes, removed various lines around the headcode box area, and then begun researching what paint(s) I'll need.
I'm looking to do 47376 in GWSR condition - this being Freightliner, ex Railfreight Trainload, grey. Photo (not mine): http://www.hondawanderer.com/47376_Greet_Tunnel_2013.htm
After doing some research, I think I'll need P182, P183, P148, and P975, each of the 14ml satin (dull) variant, for the livery. Can anyone tell me if these would be the right colours?
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.