Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 12a
---------------------------------------------------
I thought I might as well inform anyone who's interested that Oldmoor Junction Model Railway operations have restarted after a period of several weeks.
The new trackwork (mainly the points to keep the geometry of the track through Oldmoor Junction) has allowed me to run trains again - but there have been a few problems: these being the track itself and some locomotives.
The trackwork is currently unballasted and doesn't have pins holding it down yet, meaning that vibrations from and the weight of trains moving over the curves, where there is no pointwork to keep the main running lines in place (less friction/weight), makes the track move. I think I've got this sorted for the most part, but I need to keep testing things over and over until I make sure it's all alright before pinning the track down.
The locomotives which have been playing up are 60163 Tornado and 50046 Ajax. I suspect the former is playing up because a wire has got caught somewhere in the mechanism and the wheels need a good clean. Nothing I can't fix. But the second one has been playing up for quite a while - I suspect it's in need of a wheel clean as well but I think there might also be a couple of issues with the DCC chip. The TTS decoder in 50046 is actually a Class 31 decoder - it was the closest thing to a 50 Hornby offered at the time - but I hope to get a 50 TTS decoder at some point so major work/checks on the decoder might not happen for a while.
That's what's being going on on the OJMR, if anyone's interested
-Peter
---------------------------------------------------
I thought I might as well inform anyone who's interested that Oldmoor Junction Model Railway operations have restarted after a period of several weeks.
The new trackwork (mainly the points to keep the geometry of the track through Oldmoor Junction) has allowed me to run trains again - but there have been a few problems: these being the track itself and some locomotives.
The trackwork is currently unballasted and doesn't have pins holding it down yet, meaning that vibrations from and the weight of trains moving over the curves, where there is no pointwork to keep the main running lines in place (less friction/weight), makes the track move. I think I've got this sorted for the most part, but I need to keep testing things over and over until I make sure it's all alright before pinning the track down.
The locomotives which have been playing up are 60163 Tornado and 50046 Ajax. I suspect the former is playing up because a wire has got caught somewhere in the mechanism and the wheels need a good clean. Nothing I can't fix. But the second one has been playing up for quite a while - I suspect it's in need of a wheel clean as well but I think there might also be a couple of issues with the DCC chip. The TTS decoder in 50046 is actually a Class 31 decoder - it was the closest thing to a 50 Hornby offered at the time - but I hope to get a 50 TTS decoder at some point so major work/checks on the decoder might not happen for a while.
That's what's being going on on the OJMR, if anyone's interested
-Peter
I've had issues with it for quite a while (maybe a year?) but now I've learnt more about how these things can be fixed/what the issue might be caused by, I'm (slightly) more confident in trying to fix it. I've also found that previous wheel-cleans were probably pointless - the Peco track rubber I used is curved on the edges, which doesn't allow for it to get into the corner of the wheel between the main bit which touches the rail and the flange, meaning a lot of dirt and whatever accumulates there over time. I've had this issue with cleaning the wheels of other locos but it turns out the Hornby track rubber can solve it - it's got sharper corners (as in straight edges meeting at 45 degrees) and so can get into that smaller area. The only issue is that my track rubber is very well-used and the edges have gone slightly curved now, meaning it's not as good - maybe having a track rubber for the track and one for wheel cleaning could work?




