Old Yard Dog
Established Member
- Joined
- 21 Aug 2011
- Messages
- 1,823
I picked up the 0900 Milford Haven to Manchester at Llanelli this morning and was only slightly surprised to find it was a very busy 2-car DMU. I assumed it would be strengthed at Swansea or Cardiff. On arrival at the far end of P4 we were told our train was going out of service and we should make our way to P2 where a 5-car train would be waiting.
So everybody piled out, including many elderly passengers with heavy luggage. We found a 2-car DMU locked and at the far end of P2. We were told to wait till a 3-car train came and attached. It turned out to be the 1002 Cardiff to Fishguard whose passengers were duly disgorged. Were they sent to P4 I wonder?
I get that TfW do try very hard to manage possible overcrowding. But today’s swap & the chaos it caused did seem a little OTT. At least one Fishguard passenger didn’t hear the message and stayed on board. He was told to seek help at Neath. I hope he caught his ferry.
My Manchester train didn’t lose too much time so I was able to divert from my 2-day HoW circular ranger at Bridgend and do the Maesteg branch for the first time. Then it was the through working to Ebbw Vale, a 2-hour trip, where I was delighted to find the breakdown prone cableway open and running.
So everybody piled out, including many elderly passengers with heavy luggage. We found a 2-car DMU locked and at the far end of P2. We were told to wait till a 3-car train came and attached. It turned out to be the 1002 Cardiff to Fishguard whose passengers were duly disgorged. Were they sent to P4 I wonder?
I get that TfW do try very hard to manage possible overcrowding. But today’s swap & the chaos it caused did seem a little OTT. At least one Fishguard passenger didn’t hear the message and stayed on board. He was told to seek help at Neath. I hope he caught his ferry.
My Manchester train didn’t lose too much time so I was able to divert from my 2-day HoW circular ranger at Bridgend and do the Maesteg branch for the first time. Then it was the through working to Ebbw Vale, a 2-hour trip, where I was delighted to find the breakdown prone cableway open and running.