• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Music trains - normal service or special service

Should music trains be special additional trains?

  • Yes run additional trains as music trains not timetabled services

    Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No use existing trains on any line as music trains

    Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No use existing trains but only very lightly used ones as music trains

    Votes: 17 44.7%

  • Total voters
    38
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
I'm a bit disappointed at the generally negative attitude displayed towards Northern and a select few other operators providing some exposure for the traditional music of these shores, and taking the initiative to bring something different and potentially memorable to what were some of their more lightly loaded trains.

However, on balance the TOCs undertaking such activities should ensure that these music trains are provided with a minimum of a two car unit, to give those not interested in the music somewhere to escape to as I imagine that it would be a bit of a daunting and unwelcome surprise for the unitiated not expecting a live music performance on their train.

It was certainly memorable ! On the two car unit I was on, these 'musicians' entered both carriages, along with crowds of followers who joined in with a singalong 'performance' and pestered other passengers to join in as well <(.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
It was certainly memorable ! On the two car unit I was on, these 'musicians' entered both carriages, along with crowds of followers who joined in with a singalong 'performance' and pestered other passengers to join in as well <(.
I have to say that that situation sounds like it would be a bit too much: Everyone should be entitled to a bit of peace and quiet during a train journey; if the musicians stuck to a single carriage then fair enough but if they are moving through the train then that is unneccessary: As I say, there should certainly be somewhere for people not interested in the on-train entertainment to escape to!
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It was certainly memorable ! On the two car unit I was on, these 'musicians' entered both carriages, along with crowds of followers who joined in with a singalong 'performance' and pestered other passengers to join in as well <(.

Agreed, they should stick to one or two coaches. I wonder how many times you were called scrooge for not being a sheep? :roll:
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
I wonder how many times you were called scrooge for not being a sheep? :roll:

Yes, definitely one of those 'where's your Christmas Spirit' occasions for those who didn't want to take part. :roll:

The thing is, if you were in a pub where this started you could drink up and leave. On a train, there is no escape.
 

Seacook

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
456
Location
West Bromwich
I was once at a boardgames convention where the hotel decided it was a really good idea to have some live jazz in the bar. The whole thing was a little less popular than they hoped - all the customers moved to another room until the set was over. It was the only time I had ever seen no one in the bar over a lunchtime. For some reason it was never repeated.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, definitely one of those 'where's your Christmas Spirit' occasions for those who didn't want to take part. :roll:

The thing is, if you were in a pub where this started you could drink up and leave. On a train, there is no escape.

Exactly! I've been to pubs and bars where the live music has been awful, either becuase the music wasn't my taste or the band was poor. Sometimes you can go into another part of the bar where they are not so audible, which you might be able to do on a train, depending on the numbe rof carriages.

I think if music trains take over regular services they should be very well advertised so that people can make alternative arrangements!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top