@me123
Probably because of the vast amount of extra spending per head in Scotland compared to England, on the backs of English Tax payers, but that's a whole other argument. And North Sea oil peaked in 1999, so Scotland cannot survive on that as the SNP argue.
If you read what I say, I'm not arguing with you. We both agree that Transport and especially railways are seen as low priority for central government. Whether they should be is a whole different argument, we may well disagree with.
We all rely on the transport system every day, even if that's for delivery of food and getting people to work that keep the economy going. Without transport you don't have a modern economy an can only support a fraction of the population we have in the country.
However how much spending goes on that system to keep it working is up for debate. If you read what I said, I'm not making a case to spend money of West country railways at the expense of local schools and hospitals, I'm saying that the latter is what people want money spent on, despite the transport system being much more important than people think. It's that lack of investment is why you have problems with transport in this country.
I agree with a lot of what you say here, especially nationalism for Scotland. Not an option at the moment, but one which is sadly being considered because Westminster haven't made a Scottish decision in ages.
And the key problem is: fares are high, because funding isn't covered by taxes, and people will moan either way. Without a tax raise, I don't think the railways can get what they want and, in some cases, need.