• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moston to Leeds, Off Peak Day Return Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
28 Aug 2007
Messages
14
I will be travelling from Moston to Leeds on 02/03/19 using an off peak day return for £14.80. This says it is valid on trains passing through Hebden Bridge only. The outward journey is via a change at Rochdale using only Northern services. The return journey shows some Transpennine services as being diverted via Hebden Bridge on this day, but would involve me travelling through to Manchester Victoria and then on to Moston. Will. My ticket still. Be valid on the Transpennine despite it being a short term diversion route? And will. There be an issue that I would be travelling through Moston to then travel back to it on a Northern service. Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
I will be travelling from Moston to Leeds on 02/03/19 using an off peak day return for £14.80. This says it is valid on trains passing through Hebden Bridge only. The outward journey is via a change at Rochdale using only Northern services. The return journey shows some Transpennine services as being diverted via Hebden Bridge on this day, but would involve me travelling through to Manchester Victoria and then on to Moston. Will. My ticket still. Be valid on the Transpennine despite it being a short term diversion route? And will. There be an issue that I would be travelling through Moston to then travel back to it on a Northern service. Thanks in advance.
If you have bought your ticket with an itinerary this way (as you still can), then it doesn't matter whether the train actually ends up going via Hebden Bridge or not - it is contractually valid either way.

It is perfectly valid to double back between Moston and Manchester Victoria in this case, as Moston is a member of the Manchester Routeing Point Group, and where there is a journey that involves travel from one Group (or Point) to another, e.g. Moston to Leeds, you can use all permitted routes from the one Routeing Point (Group) to the other, e.g. mapped routes, and then you are permitted to take the shortest route between the ticketed origin/destination and the Routeing Point (Group).

So, in short, the double back is valid.
 
Joined
28 Aug 2007
Messages
14
Thanks ks for the reply. I won't have an itinerary as such for the return as I don't know what time it will be, but to clarify, even with an open return if the TPE is timetabled to go via Hebden Bridge on that day my ticket will be valid?
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Thanks ks for the reply. I won't have an itinerary as such for the return as I don't know what time it will be, but to clarify, even with an open return if the TPE is timetabled to go via Hebden Bridge on that day my ticket will be valid?
Yes, if it is scheduled to go that way then there is no restriction on using a particular TOC - after all, it is 'via X' and not 'Northern only'.
 
Joined
28 Aug 2007
Messages
14
Sorry to bring up an old thread. The above ticket is stated as availabke on nation rail and the trainline websites. When I go onto NorthernApp it doesn't give me this option and has prices from £25 but that's not travelling via Hebden Bridge. I have tried emailing Northern but get one back basically saying they're too busy. Anyone any ideas what's going on?
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Sorry to bring up an old thread. The above ticket is stated as availabke on nation rail and the trainline websites. When I go onto NorthernApp it doesn't give me this option and has prices from £25 but that's not travelling via Hebden Bridge. I have tried emailing Northern but get one back basically saying they're too busy. Anyone any ideas what's going on?
Trainline app derivatives, such as Northern's app, don't have a 'via' option (a very basic omission, if you ask me!). It will only show you non-overtaken itineraries, and by and large I would have thought that all itineraries via Hebden Bridge are overtaken by itineraries not via Hebden Bridge.

If you use their website, you'll be able to enter via Hebden Bridge in the advanced search options and the fare will appear.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
On the LNER website, or the Northern Railways website, I specified that I wanted to go via Hebden Bridge and then was shown the £14.80 fare. On the Northern site, that fare is shown as valid for the return on direct trains or the trains via Manchester Victoria.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top