• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most vivid childhood railway memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
The first real railway memory is traveling on a CIG (this would have been in 1994/1995) approaching Cosham and watching two 37s hauling a rake of petrol tankers in the opposite direction. When I developed an interest in the railways when I was 11 or 12, I was confused as to why there would be a petrol train on the Southampton - Fareham line, until I discovered a couple of years ago there used to be an oil terminal near Chichester. It's highly likely that the train I saw originated from there.

Another memory, again from 1994-5, is standing in the playground of the primary school I went to near Fareham and discovering what I now know was a 466 passing by. I'm assuming the EMU was being tested: if anyone could confirm whether Networkers were tested around Portsmouth please let me know.

Finally, I remember seeing a 319 arrive at Eastleigh (circa 1994/5) on a passenger working, not on an ECS move (I remember the train stopping and passengers boarding.). Today I'm surprised that a 319 operated on the South Western division in revenue earning service, although I could be wrong.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Something I'd like to check. Did 47-hauled MkI rakes ever stop at Stevenage? I seem to remember going to London on a MkI in about 1986-87, and the loco hauling it failed. We ended up on a 312 instead, and saw the 47 sitting in a siding at Welwyn Garden City.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Ex GWR 2-8-2 tank in the goods yard at Ammanford - given access to the footplate and very reluctantly taken off it ... kindly train crew insisted they were going to Scotland and too far for a 4 year old.

Brand new green DMU's (with yellow whiskers) on a day out to Aberavon Beach (and return on a steam hauled non compartment train) , school trip to Bristol Zoo on a steam hauled and maroon painted MK1. Very fortunate in seeing the end of steam in the early 1960's in West Wales.
 

stevread1

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2013
Messages
19
Location
rugby
So you gave the railway the boot for a few cans of SKOL, and the ladies with shoulder pads and big hair. :D.........(me too, ;))

The photo's on the internet has took me back looking at times past. :cry:

Bottles of SKOL WHITE TOP if I rember right :lol:

The WCML modernisation brought it all back when we had class 37's and 31's stabled at Rugby on engineering trains backed up with any other class of loco that moved at the time.:D
Plus railfreight 47's 56's and 58's thrashing thru on freight trains. Virgin hst's plus thunderbird loco's in the bay platforms.

What more could you want ? Shame it was short lived.
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Yes in those days it seemed like BR blue and heritage traction would last forever. My biggest regret is the what I missed as I thought it always would be their.
Second regret in my "youth" years gave up trains for a few years (women and beer seemed more fun at the time) as it was uncool and threw away all my old photos. :( from the early 80's) :(

I lost interest for a good 10 years or so but luckily kept my photos and models in my dads loft!

Need to get my photos scanned and onto Flickr at some point
 

Harlesden

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
968
Location
LONDON NW10
Beginning to regret that in my late teens and early twenties, railways were the furthest thing from my mind as I became drawn into the fringes of the reggae world due to the start of a 22-year friendship with a (now deceased) popular female reggae performer.
Learning so much on this forum. Great bunch of guys.
 

QJ

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2009
Messages
438
Location
Basingstoke Down Yard
Did 47-hauled MkI rakes ever stop at Stevenage?

Yes they did if they were working one of the Peterborough to Kings Cross or vice versa commuter trains before the line was electrified. There were also Kings Cross to Cambridge loco hauled services that may have been class 47 hauled on occasions (though I cannot remember when that service stopped).

IIRC a few longer distance East Coast trains also called there such as the London to Cleethorpes services and the York semi fasts. It was a long time ago when I travelled on these services whenever something more interesting than a class 47 turned up on them. So I cannot say for definite whether any of the trains I mentioned still ran in 1986/7.

My first recollections of rail interest as a kid was back in the 1960s when my grandmother lived in a prefab virtually next to Laira Depot. Lots of withdrawn locos parked up next to the path past the site of the station that used to be there. My home backed onto the disused Turnchapel branch and I used to regularly walk or cycle the line past Oreston station as far as the missing swing bridge over Hooe Lake. My mother used to take me on the occasional DMU journey to Tavistock North until the line closed but all I remember of that is the long climb back up to the station to get the train back to Plymouth.

In March 1967, at the age of 7, my mum took my brother and I for a ride from Plymouth to Cardiff on a footex. I assume it was a Western that hauled the train and I wish I could find out the details of the route (alleged to have used the line around the back of Exeter Saint Davids station and around Saint Phillips Marsh and the Rhubarb curve). I have recollections of sitting in the train but nowt else.

My mother took me to an infants school near to Plymouth's Friary station. I remember peering through the gap in the houses to watch the locos trundling off on their freights up to Exeter Riverside and beyond. I used to gaze longingly at the station wishing I could one day catch a train there (after many attempts I did manage it on a railtour that ran into the arrival platform road and not just stop under the road bridge).

Then a bit later on, when I was old enough to catch the school bus the five miles to school I used to occasionally see the freights trundling along the Plymstock Junction and Cattewater branches behind the 03s that Laira had allocated for the job (managed to get a charter train along those routes too eventually - a dubious move or two filled in the gaps). :lol:

My other grandmother lived in South Wales in a village near Pontypridd. Christmases were spent there walking the paths up the hillside that crossed the railway line from the village to the Merthyr line. This was in the days of the Aust Ferry (sadly my father didn't use the motorail shuttle through the tunnel) with it's turntable and two wooden planks to allow cars on and off. The route to my grandmother's house took in views of the main line at Magor and the Fright line to Machen and Bedwas. On one occasion a fright was passed with a class 37 at the helm by a level crossing. I asked my dad to stop so I could photograph it but he refused. Cheers dad.

As soon as I was old enough I used to take a 116 to Radyr and Cardiff Central to view the trains. Class 37s were my interest at the time (until I moved to London in my late teens for my first job and discovered class 40s on the overnights out of the Cross). To this day it is still a thrill to travel by train up the remaining South Wales Valleys lines even though most of the industrial interest has disappeared as has the rows of class 37s parked up at Radyr and Canton.

No dodgy fisher girls to distract me back in the day. A bit too young to appreciate them then. I made up for it later. :roll:
 
Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Two memories for me-
In October 1963 travelling on the Haywards Heath-Ardingly-Horsted Keynes line on the last day of service. The stock was a pre-war 2BIL unit.
In 1964 travelling on a footex from Norwood Junction to Southampton hauled by a Bullied Pacific plus grimy mark 1 stock throughout. The fare for a child return 8/- (40p) and admission for a child to see the match 1/6d (about 8p)
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,783
Location
Newport Pagnell
Yes - Chester St Bus station was an interesting place, for as well as the destinations you mention and the Hebble services to Halifax via Shelf, Queensbury or Wibsey, it was also the terminus for the X12 service to Manchester and the Yorkshire Woollen District dd. all the way to Sheffield.

I regularly travelled on the Brighouse via Shelf serrvice operated by strange single deckers from Halifax.

Not to mention those really exotic locations you could get to on a summer Saturday from the coach/car park above the station.

It wasn't the same once the interchange opened but by then I'd discovered trains and at just the right time the Day Rover was introduced so it was trains most weekends with the odd bus to fill the gaps.
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
I can just about remember seeing Westerns at Dawlish Warren when I was very young - must have been mid 1970s.

The first railway journey I can remember is going from Gloucester Eastgate to Swindon and back in summer 1975. It was some sort of DMU both ways (117 or 101 probably). I remember being delayed at Standish Junction on the way back due to overheated points.

Another memorable one was travelling by gravity train from Tunnel South to Dduallt along the now abandoned section of the Ffestiniog Railway. This must have been about 1977 I think.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Not that long ago, but for me it's a day at Reading on a damp day in 2006 (probably September 5th, as I remember all the papers having the untimely death of Steve Irwin on the cover!), the sound of the Valenta's and the properly comfortable (and green!) interiors will live with me for a long time, and I remember having a very tasty pasty from a shop on the station concourse.

It was also the first journey I went on where a Family Railcard was used.

Ah memories. :)
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Standing on a bench in the old church hall by Shortlands station, watching a boat train heading for Vic. Probably my sister's baptism - it was our temporary church till 1955. Memory says (wrongly) that it was the Golden Arrow. And standing on the footbridge east of the station watching units with letter headcodes. I think they'd gone on the Chatham by 1956?
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
Yes they did if they were working one of the Peterborough to Kings Cross or vice versa commuter trains before the line was electrified. There were also Kings Cross to Cambridge loco hauled services that may have been class 47 hauled on occasions (though I cannot remember when that service stopped).

IIRC a few longer distance East Coast trains also called there such as the London to Cleethorpes services and the York semi fasts. It was a long time ago when I travelled on these services whenever something more interesting than a class 47 turned up on them. So I cannot say for definite whether any of the trains I mentioned still ran in 1986/7.

My first recollections of rail interest as a kid was back in the 1960s when my grandmother lived in a prefab virtually next to Laira Depot. Lots of withdrawn locos parked up next to the path past the site of the station that used to be there. My home backed onto the disused Turnchapel branch and I used to regularly walk or cycle the line past Oreston station as far as the missing swing bridge over Hooe Lake. My mother used to take me on the occasional DMU journey to Tavistock North until the line closed but all I remember of that is the long climb back up to the station to get the train back to Plymouth.

In March 1967, at the age of 7, my mum took my brother and I for a ride from Plymouth to Cardiff on a footex. I assume it was a Western that hauled the train and I wish I could find out the details of the route (alleged to have used the line around the back of Exeter Saint Davids station and around Saint Phillips Marsh and the Rhubarb curve). I have recollections of sitting in the train but nowt else.

My mother took me to an infants school near to Plymouth's Friary station. I remember peering through the gap in the houses to watch the locos trundling off on their freights up to Exeter Riverside and beyond. I used to gaze longingly at the station wishing I could one day catch a train there (after many attempts I did manage it on a railtour that ran into the arrival platform road and not just stop under the road bridge).

Then a bit later on, when I was old enough to catch the school bus the five miles to school I used to occasionally see the freights trundling along the Plymstock Junction and Cattewater branches behind the 03s that Laira had allocated for the job (managed to get a charter train along those routes too eventually - a dubious move or two filled in the gaps). :lol:

My other grandmother lived in South Wales in a village near Pontypridd. Christmases were spent there walking the paths up the hillside that crossed the railway line from the village to the Merthyr line. This was in the days of the Aust Ferry (sadly my father didn't use the motorail shuttle through the tunnel) with it's turntable and two wooden planks to allow cars on and off. The route to my grandmother's house took in views of the main line at Magor and the Fright line to Machen and Bedwas. On one occasion a fright was passed with a class 37 at the helm by a level crossing. I asked my dad to stop so I could photograph it but he refused. Cheers dad.

As soon as I was old enough I used to take a 116 to Radyr and Cardiff Central to view the trains. Class 37s were my interest at the time (until I moved to London in my late teens for my first job and discovered class 40s on the overnights out of the Cross). To this day it is still a thrill to travel by train up the remaining South Wales Valleys lines even though most of the industrial interest has disappeared as has the rows of class 37s parked up at Radyr and Canton.

No dodgy fisher girls to distract me back in the day. A bit too young to appreciate them then. I made up for it later. :roll:

Thanks for that. And very interesting to hear that a proto-Chunnel operated under the Severn, I had no idea.
 

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,129
Location
South East london
When I was very little, my house used to back onto the South London Line between Queens Road Peckham and Peckham Rye, so in the early 1990s, I remember seeing class 455 and 456 units pass by, plus occasionally NSE and Blue/Grey liveried EPBs and 4VEPs too. At the other end of my street, the "Chatham Lines" towards Nunhead etc, had Networkers, CEPs, VEPs and the last remaining EPB units, plus various freight trains, although I don't remember those.

In 1995, my Grandparents staged their 40th wedding aniversary in Morecambe for some reason, but I remember loads of railway related things happening! Visiting the now closed Steamtown in Carnforth and seeing trains passing on the WCML, 31s on the reggie rail services to Barrow, 86s and 87s on Intercity services etc.

So those are perhaps my earliest railway memories!
 

FlyinScotsman

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2013
Messages
40
Location
East Midlands
My first memory of a train was standing on Quorn & Woodhouse station, In the early '80's, for ages, having no idea of why or what we were doing there.

Only for my whole world to be shaked in front of my 4ish year old eyes, as a TOWERING A4 Pacific thundered into my world. Always went every week after that.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Probably my first real memory of railways is when my dad held me up above a bridge near Wolverhampton low level around 1960.

One train went one way as another went the opposite way I don't know what engines they were but oh that smell of smoke, always loved it ever since.
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,017
Location
Yellabelly Country
A number of early memories for me. As a young boy being taken to see 'Flying Scotsman' and 'Pendennis Castle' at Market Overton shed by my Grandad - a former steam driver; the various ironstone quarries around South Lincolnshire - many of which were in their twilight, but still had working locomotives - mainly diesel by then.

In later years the headstrong, and sometimes foolish trainspotter, that recalls misuse of Izal toilet rolls - thrown out of train windows - in one instance festooning itself between the signals on the Up Fast & Up Loop at Claypole - all ready to be broken by the waiting class 31 upon its departure.

The summer Sunday trips to Skeggy using the through service from Cambridge (booked for a class 37), a few beers in the Lumley Hotel, footy on the beach, chips for tea and then either the 37 back home or one of the pairs of 20's to Boston for the 37 onwards.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
An early memory for me was a family holiday in Braunton, North Devon in 1974 with myself (aged 5) and my cousins playing on Braunton station and in the signal box as everything was still standing following closure in 1970 as there was a failed preservation attempt going on at the time.

Another holiday memory is being on the night boat to Guernsey in 1983 and seeing the boat train pull in at Weymouth Quay...33112 if I remember correctly.

Also, as a kid, as Mum worked in a shop in Jericho in Oxford, I would often wander down there to spot on a summer's afternoon and have a memory of a 47 on a stone train under Walton Well Road bridge waiting for the line to clear to run off the double-tracked LNWR Bletchley line so it could run through Oxford station (the line was taken up around 1975) and also a Western passing right by me at my spotting point to go into the sidings where all the new student housing is. Again, this area was ripped up around 1975, though not developed until recently. Those events occured with my Mum with me, but from about 1977 or 1978 I was allowed to wander down there on my own and that's where I heard 'I Don't Like Mondays' blaring out of a radio on in Lucy's foundary on the other side of the canal as I walked down the towpath.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
I recall waiting as a young girl on the freezing platform at Three Oaks for the last train of the night, after my mother's birthday do. Kicking the platform surface and getting excited as a Class 207 decked in Connex's finest roared towards us..

...and roared right past with a blast of its horn.

The first experience I properly remember and its of Connex's famed reliability.
 

swcovas

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2012
Messages
344
Location
North Portugal
Probably my earliest memory of ANYTHING let alone railways is going on trips by train to Mumbles rd station on the old Central Wales Line to swansea Victoria and spending the day by the sea watching the Mumbles railway trains trundling past. I used to hassle my mother to take me on a trip on the "Mumbles" but but she saw reason to do so but eventually relented and I made the trip. The following summer it was gone forever so my one and only trip must have been in 1959 when I was 4. Amazingly it still sticks in the mind......they were superb, enormous machines and a sad loss.
 

quarella

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
820
My Godson's most vivid early rail related memory is being terrified by an HST. For the next year or so it made my life easier if journeys could be made on "little trains."
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Probably my earliest memory of ANYTHING let alone railways is going on trips by train to Mumbles rd station on the old Central Wales Line to swansea Victoria and spending the day by the sea watching the Mumbles railway trains trundling past. I used to hassle my mother to take me on a trip on the "Mumbles" but but she saw reason to do so but eventually relented and I made the trip. The following summer it was gone forever so my one and only trip must have been in 1959 when I was 4. Amazingly it still sticks in the mind......they were superb, enormous machines and a sad loss.

I was told I was taken on the Mumbles tram -but no memories (must have been 3 or 4) - I do recall though the trains from Swansea Victoria running along the Slip and rushing onto the cast iron bridge (now removed alas) - filthy black Panniers and red non corridor stock. Oh for a a time machine ......
 

quarella

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
820
I was told I was taken on the Mumbles tram -but no memories (must have been 3 or 4) - I do recall though the trains from Swansea Victoria running along the Slip and rushing onto the cast iron bridge (now removed alas) - filthy black Panniers and red non corridor stock. Oh for a a time machine ......

Oh for the council to put the slip bridge back where it belongs as we were led to believe it was going to be!!
 

Batman

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2011
Messages
497
Location
North Birmingham
My earliest memories of the railways were probably in about 1992/3 when my grandmother used to take me on shopping trips on Saturdays from Cannock to Walsall on old 1st generation DMU's and eventually on 150's. I always thought Cannock was the posh station on the Chase Line (only went a far as Hednesford back then) because it had benches on the Birmingham platform, when the other local stations only had bus shelters.

I was always fascinated by the coal depot between Landywood and Bloxwich North (closed mod-90's although the track was only lifted recently).
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,386
Location
Yorks
VEP's in the 80's decked out in blue/grey and still with tungsten lighting:D used to travel quite regularly between Ashford and Tonbridge to visit me nan.
 

EssexGonzo

Member
Joined
9 May 2012
Messages
637
This one. The venue is likely to be Coventry, Rugby or somewhere in Devon. Maybe someone can tell by the headcode? C. 1972 - 1975.

tebe8uhe.jpg
 

swcovas

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2012
Messages
344
Location
North Portugal
I was told I was taken on the Mumbles tram -but no memories (must have been 3 or 4) - I do recall though the trains from Swansea Victoria running along the Slip and rushing onto the cast iron bridge (now removed alas) - filthy black Panniers and red non corridor stock. Oh for a a time machine ......

Hey!!! We must be about the same age.....if we're talking about the last few years that is!!! Also remember the panniers and non corridor stock. There used to be a single SO working to from Swansea Vic to Llandybie where I lived which was our train back from days at the beach. I have never understood why there was this one odd working to Llandybie only which wasn't extended to Llandeilo or Llandovery.

Other memory I have of those last years of steam were the Jubilees relegated from more illustrious work to operate Salop - Swansea Vic services.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top