One afternoon during the RMT signallers' strikes in the Summer of 1994, I booked-on at Skipton for a late turn which involved relieving a Carlisle driver on the 14 18 Carlisle-Leeds. On this particular day the strike had ended at 14 00 and I hadn't had anything else to do for the first couple of hours of my shift. In rolled Corkerhill-allocated ScotRail unit 156 496.... complete with Radio Electronic Token Block in-cab equipment. It had obviously arrived in Carlisle from the Dumfries direction just before the strike began and when the strike ended it must have been the only DMU on hand there. I drove it to Leeds, where I coupled it to a Neville Hill unit and drove the two of them back to Skipton on the 17 25 departure, calling at all stations. I was then relieved by the same Carlisle driver who had brought it up and had had his PNB at Skipton.
On another occasion, a little more than ten years later, I booked-on at Skipton to work the 10 47 ex-Leeds to Carlisle. I couldn't believe my eyes when the Leeds driver brought in South West Trains three car unit 159 006. The 159s are electrically- and mechanically- identical to the 158s, so there was no traction knowledge issue....but I do remember being very impressed by the huge knob on the end of the power handle, compared to the tiny ones on the 158s. It turned out that Arriva Northern had borrowed the unit for a few weeks while some of their 158s we're being modified.
Going back much further to my teenage years in the Summer of 1973, a friend and I were waiting at Helensburgh Upper one sunny Saturday morning to catch the 07 55 Oban-Glasgow into Queen Street. We were very surprised to see it roll in bang on time with class 20 no. 8095 (soon to become 20 095) running nose-forward hauling the usual three Mark 1s. My first ever class 20 haulage. The booked 27 had failed at Oban the previous night and the Chopper had been purloined from a ballast train.