YorkshireBear
Established Member
- Joined
- 23 Jul 2010
- Messages
- 9,673
I like the sound of the 66s to be honest.
I like the sound of the 66s to be honest.
I prefer that throaty roar of a 37 than ying ying of a 66!
You'd soon change your main if you had to sit on one all night....! :grin:
I prefer that throaty roar of a 37 than ying ying of a 66!
I agree XCDriver, the sound of a Whistler working hard is 'music to the ears', you wouldn't get that with GM traction!
That was a one off speed record attempt though, the Duchesses didn't manage those sorts of speeds routinely and that one record attempt wasn't far off a disastrous finish. And of course the wires were going up as far as Weaver Junction and Liverpool as soon as steam was being phased out, so there was no need for a more powerful diesel loco for the West Coast in the medium term.Oh yes, and the Duchess speed record was 114 mph, so why a loco that could not do 100? Maybe a few West Coast Deltics would have come in handy.