Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Denham to Denham Golf on the Chiltern must be one of the most pointless journeys. Takes 2 mins on the train and costs £2.90 single. It’s about 0.6 miles along the tracks but double that on foot as there is no direct path and you have to follow the roads.
Denham to Denham Golf on the Chiltern must be one of the most pointless journeys. Takes 2 mins on the train and costs £2.90 single. It’s about 0.6 miles along the tracks but double that on foot as there is no direct path and you have to follow the roads.
It's quite expensive on a per-mile basis but I'd say it was useful to avoid the walk if the weather is bad or you have heavy baggage such as golf clubs.
Not pointless journey but pointless fare, peak Thurso Dover Priory, off peak appears to be available on all options, I suspect that there are actually loads of these and I know it is slightly off topic, but it interested me.
Not pointless journey but pointless fare, peak Thurso Dover Priory, off peak appears to be available on all options, I suspect that there are actually loads of these and I know it is slightly off topic, but it interested me.
Perhaps pointless if you were doing the journey all in one go, but I would imagine most people would decide to break their journey (possibly overnight) when travelling such a long distance by train. You might then come acropper of Off-Peak restrictions if restarting at a different time. Depending on the circumstances it may then be cheapest to get an Anytime ticket.
Not pointless journey but pointless fare, peak Thurso Dover Priory, off peak appears to be available on all options, I suspect that there are actually loads of these and I know it is slightly off topic, but it interested me.
However if you break your journey overnight then the Anytime (SOS) fare offers no restrictions whereas the Off-Peak Single (SSS) has a restriction on arriving into London before 11:17.
In this particular case the SOS is only an extra £5.90 so might well be worth it.
Maybe sees some use for someone living between the two stations as a cost saving to avoid buying a return ticket, similar to some of those Glasgow area ones
Would the conductor even charge you? By the time you’ve boarded and told the conductor you’re getting off at Culrain (it’s not even worth sitting down), it’ll be time for the conductor to open the doors again.
I suspect that this ticket is prized by enthusiasts for the novelty factor, but I can imagine it’s probably most often bought online and collected from TVMs as a souvenir, rather than issued by conductors on the train. I wonder how many such tickets have existed?
Banavie to Corpach on the Mallaig line is probably another such journey in Scotland for which the conductor will not have time to sell a ticket, and for which tickets are probably snapped up by enthusiasts as novelty items.
I suspect that this ticket is prized by enthusiasts for the novelty factor, but I can imagine it’s probably most often bought online and collected from TVMs as a souvenir, rather than issued by conductors on the train. I wonder how many such tickets have existed?
I believe uk.railway did a "virtual meet" a while ago in which this ticket, with reservations, was purchased by a fair few people. I don't think anyone actually travelled, though some were talking about it.
Would the conductor even charge you? By the time you’ve boarded and told the conductor you’re getting off at Culrain (it’s not even worth sitting down), it’ll be time for the conductor to open the doors again.
I suspect that this ticket is prized by enthusiasts for the novelty factor, but I can imagine it’s probably most often bought online and collected from TVMs as a souvenir, rather than issued by conductors on the train.
Before the footbridge as attached to the viaduct (which I think was not all that long ago -- 2000 according to Wikipedia) it's something people might well have done as a real journey, as it's a few miles to the nearest alternative crossing.
Bromley North to Bromley South is surprisingly quick (39 minutes) by train - changing at Grove Park and Petts Wood - but the £3.40 is steep compared to £1.50 if you take any of 10 bus routes for the three stops (or you can walk in 11 minutes).
This seems to be a real fare - PAYG would be cheaper at £2.40/£2.80.
Exeter St Davids to Exeter Central ( or St James Park to Central) - you can see central's platforms from the end of St James Platforms!
Also Surbition to Kingston. I've actually done this one for a laugh. The ticket office didn't want me to buy a ticket, but to get the bus outside the station ( much quicker). Involves a change at New Malden - heading in the opposite direction to start with( and a long wait!) - I caught the bus back !!
£4.70 for a paper single ticket (Route Via London not Underground) - the £3.40 "Not via London" ticket doesn't appear in the National Rail Planner - is there any valid route for this ticket...?
Walking it's a bit under 3/4 mile (so about 15 min).
By rail, the quickest journey on the above is 46min via Blackfriars and London Bridge (sometimes up to 1h15m from the looks).
Chuck in Travelcard routes as offered on the NR journey planner (or Oyster I suppose), and you get some interesting suggestions out of the planner, like this:
Crofton Park -> Catford
Catford -> Catford Bridge (walk)
Catford Bridge -> New Cross
New Cross -> New Cross Gate (walk 0.4mile)
New Cross Gate -> Honor Oak Park
All in 48min with 3 trains, no timetabled journey longer than 9 min, and 2 walks...
Talking of which, I have tried to look up a fare from Catford to Catford Bridge without success
A good one I unearthed is Harrow & Wealdstone to Harrow-on-the-Hill, £5.90 single or £11,80 return via Queen's Park and London Marylebone.
Also, Greenford to South Ruislip via West Ealing, to avoid the Central Line direct. Various fares between £5.50 and £23.30 came up. The £22.30 fare involves changing at West Ealing, Paddington, Marylebone and Gerrards Cross.
Moorthorpe and South Elmsall are both in Weat Yorkshire but you could use the South Yorkshire rail/tram/tram-train/bus Rover £8 80( SYConnect+) via trains using Swinton/Meadowhall/Sheffield and then Doncaster,
That's another that you can easily walk. When I worked in Kingston the trains from Clapham were 7:51 and 8:06. If I missed the 51 (or it was delayed or cancelled), I used to get the 8:00 Alton, first stop Surbiton, walk from there and reach the office quicker than if I'd waited for the 8:06.
Yup. The original plan was for the SW mainline to run a little bit north of where it is with a mainline station where Kingston University and Surrey County Hall is. The good burgers of the Royal Borough of Kingston refused as they wanted to protect the mail coach business (Kingston was the first stop out of London - and the first Thames crossing after London Bridge). So the London and Southampton (?) built the mainline where it is today and Surbiton station was for a number of years was known as Kingston upon Railway.
Or you could go 1 stop on a bus for £1.50 and only pay the fare if you were not using other buses around then
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Talking of which, I have tried to look up a fare from Catford to Catford Bridge without success
A good one I unearthed is Harrow & Wealdstone to Harrow-on-the-Hill, £5.90 single or £11,80 return via Queen's Park and London Marylebone.
Also, Greenford to South Ruislip via West Ealing, to avoid the Central Line direct. Various fares between £5.50 and £23.30 came up. The £22.30 fare involves changing at West Ealing, Paddington, Marylebone and Gerrards Cross.
Also, Greenford to South Ruislip via West Ealing, to avoid the Central Line direct. Various fares between £5.50 and £23.30 came up. The £22.30 fare involves changing at West Ealing, Paddington, Marylebone and Gerrards Cross.
Would the conductor even charge you? By the time you’ve boarded and told the conductor you’re getting off at Culrain (it’s not even worth sitting down), it’ll be time for the conductor to open the doors again.
I suspect that this ticket is prized by enthusiasts for the novelty factor, but I can imagine it’s probably most often bought online and collected from TVMs as a souvenir, rather than issued by conductors on the train. I wonder how many such tickets have existed?
Banavie to Corpach on the Mallaig line is probably another such journey in Scotland for which the conductor will not have time to sell a ticket, and for which tickets are probably snapped up by enthusiasts as novelty items.
I used to frequently cycle down the hill from the Uni, board a train to Central then use the ramp at the far end of the platform to cycle back up Pennsylvania Road to the Uni. This was in 2003 when there were no barriers. I think barriers must be fairly recent at Exeter.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.