• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Expensive Fares (per unit distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,302
It's an important matter to be reported in local newspapers.

From what I've read in these forums, Northern & Merseyrail are relentless in their pursuit of non-fare payers. It's not hard to see the terrible consequences for an individual who didn't pay for this journey (perhaps through shock at the bizarre fare) as it was pursued through the courts/

I understand and agree with the sentiment, but is really hard to see that ever happening in this example. Rainford has no ticket office or machine so anyone making that journey would pay the guard, who'd realise something was very wrong. Likewise if you tried to buy it at another ticket office, it would be noticed.

The only way I can think of this ticket possibly being bought is at a machine if the buyer doesn't notice the price (will machines sell tickets that expensive? I've no idea) - which also means buying it from a machine which lets you choose a different origin station, which are rare.

I think it's safe to say no-one's ever bought it and was never likely to. Yeah of course mistakes should be fixed, but this is no massive scandal, surely.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
What on earth has happened there?!

Split at Carlisle (which you'd have to go via anyway) to save in excess of £30!!
That ticket is valid via Glasgow!

If anyone from Transport Scotland is watching ( ;) ) the answer would be to create new route Carlisle tickets, at around say £8 for an Off Peak Day Return. Still, I doubt many people would pay that and chose to travel by rail for that journey, unless they happened to want to break their journey in Carlisle.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I understand and agree with the sentiment, but is really hard to see that ever happening in this example. Rainford has no ticket office or machine so anyone making that journey would pay the guard, who'd realise something was very wrong. Likewise if you tried to buy it at another ticket office, it would be noticed.

The only way I can think of this ticket possibly being bought is at a machine if the buyer doesn't notice the price (will machines sell tickets that expensive? I've no idea) - which also means buying it from a machine which lets you choose a different origin station, which are rare.

I think it's safe to say no-one's ever bought it and was never likely to. Yeah of course mistakes should be fixed, but this is no massive scandal, surely.

Someone buying the ticket could be sold it if they happened to be a ticket office where they didn’t know where the two places were, although you’d hope it would still be noticed just for it’s very high cost anyway. TVM wise, a Northern TVM wouldn’t ‘sell’ me a Promise To Pay for a ticket less than that due to being higher than the machine floor limit so I expect certainly some TVM’s would be unable to sell it
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
Ignoring silly fares and artificially inflated cash fares in London, Heathrow Rail - Hayes and Harlington is often quoted as an example of extortionate unit pricing.

As it happens, the £36.10 Anytime Day Single between Ashford (Surrey) and Heathrow Rail is another one that comes up high in my list of expensive fares; it's only 2.5 miles, but you'd have to travel via central London, explaining the high fare. Anyone wanting to make such a journey would be well advised to catch a bus from Staines or Feltham, saving something like £30 and well over an hour of travel time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top