• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most comfortable London-> North mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I find 350/1s to be quite comfortable, but 350/2s to be absolutely awful - like sitting on concrete! Please tell me London Midland have never ran Birmingham - Euston services with /2s.
I must be the only person who doesn't really have a problem with those seats :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
I must be the only person who doesn't really have a problem with those seats :D

I haven't a problem either, and I've used them to go to Birmingham using their absurdly cheap advances.

They run /2s to Crewe which must be galling to see us getting on a /1 next door going all the way to Watford Junction... :lol:
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
It's strange, I'm absolutely fine with 377/6s and even managed to get comfortable on an ex-Merseyrail Pacer, but as soon as I plonk down on a 350/2 seat, my bum goes absolutely numb!
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
It's strange, I'm absolutely fine with 377/6s and even managed to get comfortable on an ex-Merseyrail Pacer, but as soon as I plonk down on a 350/2 seat, my bum goes absolutely numb!

It's probably because I'm pretty used to it now after regularly using HC 360 and SWT 450/455 :P

What about on a SN 455 or any middle coach on a 377 /1-/5 variant? Because if anyone thinks that 350/2, 360, 450 and SWT 455 seats are rock hard I think they need to try those mentioned above :D.

I used a 377/6 just the once for a short journey but didn't have any problems with the seats.
 

craigwilson

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
424
Location
Buxton, Derbyshire
I wouldn't worry about travel sickness induced by tilt on Pendolinos and Voyagers.
You don't really sense the tilt unless you are concentrating on it.

I'd agree - I can hardly sense it all - often the only way I can tell the train is tilted is by looking out the window - if I had the blinds down, I'd never be able to tell.

The worst riding trains I've ridden were the 395s in their early days (2010-ish), where they used to shake violently at high speed in the tunnels. They're much better these days, although I still make sure I don't have anything spillable near me just in case! :lol:
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,609
Location
Isle of Man
Please tell me London Midland have never ran Birmingham - Euston services with /2s.

The Euston to Birmingham trains are often 350/2s, and the 350/2s even make it to Liverpool. They do crop up on the Crewes every now and again, although that tends to be when the evening 12-cars are the wrong way round, dropping the /1 at Northampton instead of the /2. Some of this will change when the 110mph timetable kicks in, as the /2s haven't been altered.

I don't mind the /2s for my journey into Euston, but my journey is a 30 minute commute. The idea of being on one for over two hours makes me shudder.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,197
The Euston to Birmingham trains are often 350/2s, and the 350/2s even make it to Liverpool. They do crop up on the Crewes every now and again, although that tends to be when the evening 12-cars are the wrong way round, dropping the /1 at Northampton instead of the /2. Some of this will change when the 110mph timetable kicks in, as the /2s haven't been altered.

I don't mind the /2s for my journey into Euston, but my journey is a 30 minute commute. The idea of being on one for over two hours makes me shudder.

Since the new timetable the /2s are pretty much non-existant on the Crewe-Euston (except 17:24 Euston-Crewe and 05:18 Crewe-Euston). During the day I've not worked one or even seen one at all, I've been told this is due to trying to limit the mileage of the /2 fleet and obviously Crewe-Euston being higher mileage.
Approx 50% of Birmingham-Liverpools are now /2s though, 1 extra diagram seems to be one now so I think its 4 diagrams for each /1 and /2 now on that.
 
Joined
9 Aug 2012
Messages
374
Location
Nottingham
Off topic I know (sorry) but I've mused for a while as to why 350s are diagrammed for a significant number of Wolverhampton - Walsall services. I'm not complaining of course, but surely they are overkill?
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
I would rather take the ECML as I get really bad motion sickness on the WCML with the Pendolinos.

Unfortunately I live near the WCML so I would have to take the Pendo option. At least I rarely have to use it.

I also get comparable sickness on Class 142's, ships, boats, and when travelling as a passenger in a car.


I had no problem with the loco hauled Mk3 stock that came before the Pendolinos and wish they were still here.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,197
With the wolves-walsall 350s it saves a couple of 323s to work the cross city as no other traction works that. Also some of the diagraming takes the units for that from crewe in the early am such as 06:20 crewe-walsall, a couple then end up on a birmingham-northampton peak service so possibly its more efficient use of units too.
Also crewe drivers sign walsall and do quite a few turns on wolves-walsall services which couldn't happen with 323s as nobody t Crewe signs those.
There is now also 1st class fares on the Walsalls as more if not all diagrams are due to be 350 eventually.
 

aylesbury2

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2014
Messages
120
I must be the only person who doesn't really have a problem with those seats :D

I find them perfectly fine, and I've been from WFJ to BHM on a 350/2. I understand where you're coming from on the Pendo motion sickness, having made the journey from Euston/MKC to New Street multiple times on one. This summer I'm going to Edinburgh for the fringe on a Pendo and this will be my longest ever train journey of over 4 hours, honestly I can't wait! :) Hopefully it's OK.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top