• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most boring journeys between 2 Stations (Tunnels don’t count!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,933
Location
Newport
Chester to Crewe or vice versa...

Its one of the few journeys I seriously hate because its just boring
Crewe to Chester is just damned annoying because of the need to use the tin rocket shuttle, due to the dogma of running all TfW West Mids services the long way round via Wrecsam.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2019
Messages
804
I also agree about Chester-Crewe. Familiarity makes it boring, but actually it has good scenery - Beeston Castle, the marina, Crewe Heritage Centre APT in clear view.

Most boring to me is Chester-Liverpool up the Wirral. Identikit Merseyrail stations, stop-start-stop-start, always absolutely packed, 45 minutes-ish to do a journey that feels like it should be much quicker.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
I couldn't agree more. We're very lucky in the UK to have such a rich variety of different landscapes to travel through and the varied weather conditions mean no two journeys along a particular route are ever the same.

That said, I had my first journey on HS1 last month and found it a route based more on functionality than being aesthetically pleasing.

Absolutely with you on that with regards to the first paragraph. A couple of years ago I went to Las Vegas to visit the Grand Canyon. Sadly, it didn’t happen due to the weather, and I flew back to rain going almost horizontally!

The sheer variety of scenery, the colours, it was just all so nice to see after a few days in a place I *really* didn’t like. Las Vegas can jog on, not my sort of place whatsoever! Even the wind and rain couldn’t spoil my sheer delight at looking out of the window and seeing the British countryside. One could only make it more of a patriotic thing if I’d had the national anthem on too!

There’s a LOT of journeys I find tedious, but only in parts. Hereford to Leominster has some nice parts, but it is a bit dull in parts too. I used to get really bored of the route between Hereford and Birmingham, a few years ago now, as I used to do the journey often enough to make it dull. Of course, these days a 170 on that journey would be full of nostalgia! Lots of nice scenery on that line, although I will say that Hereford to Ledbury is just a bit boring. Nothing too exciting kind of thing.

Those mentioning the ECML being boring, yes I am in agreement. There’s some good parts of course, however I wouldn’t want to use that line too often.

I’d discuss more things at length but I’m way too tired today. Up at 0421 and it’s around 2147 right now. I’d hit the hay, however this hotel is so close to the Northern line that I can hear the trains very clearly!
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
I wish to nominate Newton Abbot to Torre.

a very dull journey, especially considering that Exeter to Newton Abbot is one of the most beautiful journeys in the country, and Torre to Paignton has some lovely sea views. But between Newton Abbot and Torre, there is nothing. Well, apart from one really old bridge.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,361
I wish to nominate Newton Abbot to Torre.

a very dull journey, especially considering that Exeter to Newton Abbot is one of the most beautiful journeys in the country, and Torre to Paignton has some lovely sea views. But between Newton Abbot and Torre, there is nothing. Well, apart from one really old bridge.
That's not completely boring for me, there is the fence at the end of my late uncle's garden to see for a start! Isn't there an Atmospheric Engine House somewhere too?
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,567
Location
Lichfield
I wish to nominate Newton Abbot to Torre.

a very dull journey, especially considering that Exeter to Newton Abbot is one of the most beautiful journeys in the country, and Torre to Paignton has some lovely sea views. But between Newton Abbot and Torre, there is nothing. Well, apart from one really old bridge.

Yeah, I get what you mean, that part of the journey feels much longer than it actually is.
 

Tetragon213

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
699
Location
West Midlands
Harrow & Wealdstone-Wembley is one I'm not fond of. It's all within the confines of a wide cutting and scruffy as hell with graffiti. The scenery is effectively just brickwork, dead urban sprawl, and vandalised infrastructure.

Thankfully the rest of the WCML more than makes up for it, especially north of Stafford.
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
another nomination: the Weston-super-Mare loop line.

Some nice countryside either side of it, but its difficult to like a line that passes through a seaside town but doesnt have a sea view.

The only interesting part of the journey for me is spotting two of my old homes along the route between Worle and Weston Milton!
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
On the left as you leave Kings Cross there's a house which featured on Grand Designs about 10-15 years ago. It's interesting to see how quickly the house has degenerated into a godawful eyesore.
Is that the one that looks a bit like a bomb shelter?
 

mike57

Established Member
Joined
13 Mar 2015
Messages
2,403
Location
East coast of Yorkshire
If you allow continental journeys I would nominate Charles de Gaulle Airport to Marne le Vallee Chessy, 10 minutes, train hardly reaches line speed, and view is boring. Could be shortest time wise TGV journey in France and 25E to boot.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,345
Any pair of stations between Wolverhampton & Birmingham New Street. Lots of dreart neglected former industrial landscape.
 

E B

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2024
Messages
404
Location
Nuneaton
Liverpool to Manchester via the CLC, maybe because i've done it so many times that it feels like a chore to do
I feel the same about Nuneaton - Birmingham and Nuneaton - Leicester. They are quite scenic at some points along the route, but because of the amount of times I travel on them it just feels like a chore now.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,361
To me the deep cutting is one of the most interesting parts, I don't know anywhere else with two separate deep cuttings that close to and crossing over each other.
The cuttings through Narroways Hill north of Stapleton Rd in Bristol are like that, except that it is like a hot-cross bun and the west-to-east line has gone!
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,361
That to me is quite interesting to see.
not as much fun now as when the foundries were working and you saw the glow of hot metal and loads of steam coming fron the top of the cupolas...
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,581
Location
Surrey
To me the deep cutting is one of the most interesting parts, I don't know anywhere else with two separate deep cuttings that close to and crossing over eachother.
One thing I have never seen from the Quarry Line is a quarry. But at least Covered Way Tunnel isn't covered any more!
 

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,064
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
There were quarries, back in the day. One of the reasons the Surrey Iron Railway headed for Merstham. Here's a shot of the over/under crossing near Star Lane...
 

Attachments

  • P1900381.JPG
    P1900381.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
To me the deep cutting is one of the most interesting parts, I don't know anywhere else with two separate deep cuttings that close to and crossing over eachother.

I agree. The complexity of the BML holds a fascination in itself.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,581
Location
Surrey
There were quarries, back in the day. One of the reasons the Surrey Iron Railway headed for Merstham. Here's a shot of the over/under crossing near Star Lane...
Part of the old SIR (Croydon Merstham and Godstone) trackbed just south of Star Lane is now being cultivated as a vineyard. Sadly you can't see it from a train.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top