• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mossley Railway Station - Research Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeS8

New Member
Joined
8 Sep 2015
Messages
3
Good afternoon all.

Firstly, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I’m a first time poster with a nascent interest in the history of Britain’s Railway infrastructure.

I’m after a website (or websites) that contains history and timelines for Britain’s active railway stations (construction, renovation, temporary decommission etc). I’ve found some excellent sites for Britain’s lost or abandoned railway stations but need something similar for those still in service.

As a starter, any information on the history of Mossley railway station would be hugely appreciated. I've performed a basic Google search but not a lot comers back.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,482
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Just in case it is not the Mossley station that is still open, there was a Mossley Halt on the Biddulph Valley Line of the North Staffordshire Railway. It was located by the bridge that spanned Reades Lane and was used by both coal miners and by furnacemen of the nearby Black Bull coal mine.

Mossley Halt closed on 13th July 1925.
 

Hornet

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2013
Messages
749
Good afternoon all.

Firstly, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I’m a first time poster with a nascent interest in the history of Britain’s Railway infrastructure.

I’m after a website (or websites) that contains history and timelines for Britain’s active railway stations (construction, renovation, temporary decommission etc). I’ve found some excellent sites for Britain’s lost or abandoned railway stations but need something similar for those still in service.

As a starter, any information on the history of Mossley railway station would be hugely appreciated. I've performed a basic Google search but not a lot comers back.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/
The above website also contains some Stations that are still active.

Also M. E. Quick's book is a prime reference book for all Britian's Railway Stations.

http://www.rchs.org.uk/trial/gwpf.php?wpage=Railway Station chronology

I have the 3rd edition fully scanned if you have certain stations you wish to refer to.
 
Last edited:

Hornet

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2013
Messages
749
Mossley.
 

Attachments

  • M.E. Quick 3rd Edition Stations Mossley.pdf
    193.8 KB · Views: 35

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
Hi Mike,

I'd check for books on local railway history. For the south west, Mike Oakley has an excellent series looking at stations in detail. Colin Maggs also did a series on south west railways, taking a more inclusive look. While I know Huddersfield is not in the south west, you may well find something similar for your area.
 
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
397
Location
Greater manchester.
Some information may be found on Mossley Railway Station in a book called
Miles Platting to Diggle via Ashton by the author Jeffrey Wells.
This book gives lots of information and photos of stations along the Huddersfield line of existing and closed stations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top