• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Morocco photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I`m just curious what the current state of play is in Morocco, are they enthusiast and rail photography friendly?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
I`m just curious what the current state of play is in Morocco, are they enthusiast and rail photography friendly?


I have a mate who has done Morocco twice. He says that railway photography is not encouraged, possibly even banned, and could be dangerous in the wrong place. Having said that there are often lineside photos in the French railway press (due to the obvious historic close ties). I suspect that is the difference. Taking a lineside shot in the countryside especially if hand held with a modest camera (ie not set up starkly with a tripod and associated paraphernalia a la Ais Gill) is probably easier.

.
 

MarkyT

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
7,598
Location
Torbay
I took very few railway photos on my trip a few years ago, but had no problems on stations. I did have a issue however taking what appeared at first to be a bog standard shot of the palace gates in a square in Fez having just arrived from the station. I had inadvertantly caught a police guard in my shot. I was very suddenly surrounded by a gaggle of them saying 'must delete'. I had bought the camera the day before departing and had no idea how to do that and under the pressure and confusion I got into a panic attack trying to explain under their constant demands. I was almost at the point of dashing my camera on the ground before they finally lost interest and left me alone. I was in a funk for the rest of the day after that but eventually managed to calm down and enjoy that amazing city. Later, in my guidebook, I read the advice that photography of government officials is forbidden, but no mention of particular sensitive places, railways etc. It's possible that railway staff might be classified as 'government officials'.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I took very few railway photos on my trip a few years ago, but had no problems on stations. I did have a issue however taking what appeared at first to be a bog standard shot of the palace gates in a square in Fez having just arrived from the station. I had inadvertantly caught a police guard in my shot. I was very suddenly surrounded by a gaggle of them saying 'must delete'. I had bought the camera the day before departing and had no idea how to do that and under the pressure and confusion I got into a panic attack trying to explain under their constant demands. I was almost at the point of dashing my camera on the ground before they finally lost interest and left me alone. I was in a funk for the rest of the day after that but eventually managed to calm down and enjoy that amazing city. Later, in my guidebook, I read the advice that photography of government officials is forbidden, but no mention of particular sensitive places, railways etc. It's possible that railway staff might be classified as 'government officials'.

Thank you very much for that, my mates just arrived in Fez this morning, not heard from him since :lol: I managed to get arrested and held for 3 house in Macedonia in September, and we had a few issues in Kosovo and Belgrade, so still a bit wary of some of these places.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
I have found many countries seem to ignore you at stations if you clearly look like a tourist and use a mobile phone for pictures.

The guidebook for Tehran said that you faced immediate arrest and detention for photography at the main station there, but I took a few shots on my phone and no-one batted an eyelid.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I took quite a few photos when I visited last May and didn't have any problems. There are a few bad apples of course, but Moroccans were imo some of the friendliest people I've met anywhere and that went for the few railway officials/police I spoke with. Just try to avoid making it look like you're deliberately photgraphing the staff, and be aware of safety issues - platforms can often be dangerously busy, trains can and do depart occasionally with doors open and I heard that pickpockets operate in some of the larger stations. Train travel was so ridiculously cheap too, with segments rarely costing more than a fiver. Definitely worth a trip if the airfare/ferry there isn't too pricey.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I took quite a few photos when I visited last May and didn't have any problems. There are a few bad apples of course, but Moroccans were imo some of the friendliest people I've met anywhere and that went for the few railway officials/police I spoke with. Just try to avoid making it look like you're deliberately photgraphing the staff, and be aware of safety issues - platforms can often be dangerously busy, trains can and do depart occasionally with doors open and I heard that pickpockets operate in some of the larger stations. Train travel was so ridiculously cheap too, with segments rarely costing more than a fiver. Definitely worth a trip if the airfare/ferry there isn't too pricey.


Thanks very much for that, just had a mail this morning, my mate asked to take pictures at Fez railway station and they said fine and let him get on with it, shame Blackpool North were not so accommodating :roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top