• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
This game lacks pace. If we're not careful, a whole load of us could end up orbiting Piccadilly Circus...

Try Wimbledon...
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Denham Golf Club - If there is an objection to this move, I would refer the objector to the World quarters in 1967 where Ingar Smalmsteen used this variation (now known as an Alliss) against Dr Engel Friedrikksson. As we all know, Ingar was a fine player, but like many English Tennis stars, never quite had the bottle to win a world title, getting knocked out in the semis for 5 years in succession
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
He was a vastly over rated bottler in the mould of Torbjorn Bjornerson. Such talent but ultimately achieved nothing. Smalmsteen was before my time but Bjornerson, that sudden death playoff defeat in the 87 world match play final - he just went to pieces, I mean East Acton - Regents Park-Old Street! What was he thinking?

And the 92 WPMC championship - Well You or I could have done better. I bet Herman Milch couldn’t not believe his luck. He just had to sit there and play a cautious game. For goodness sake a Collingwood reversal in a world final!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my Turn - Wembley Stadium
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
WOW! A lateral shift using the Betjamin Metroland bluff...Could get awkward now to get to a win in less than a week...

Using an obvious Trumpington move, Dalston Junction
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Well you should be aware of the victory in 2004 of Shamus O'Riordon in the WPMCC . He came from no where to win that world title! Total surprise but he was mercurial during that run to the final

As an aside where do you stand on the big WPMCC/ PMCWC debate. Personally I prefer the WPMCC but PMCWC have done well since they got the Sky TV money. It has all gone bit Hollywood but the Premier League they run has drawn so many people to the game.

I think the match play quality is higher in the WPMCC but I am a traditionalist!

I would value your views


FOR A MOVE - Osterley
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
A double Osterley loop? Is that allowed under Merchant's?

I agree, the WPMCC is a finer tournament than the PMCWC as can be seen by the actions of the late Humphrey Lyttleton who, even though classified as a professional (due to appearances on ISIHAC), would not counternance appearing in the PMCWC, preferring to commentate on the WPMCC as it was the pull of the amateur game that enthralled him.

As to a move, if we're not playing Merchant's, Fairlop. If Merchant's, the last move was invalid, but Fairlop is still OK from Goldhawk Road, not as good a move under Merchant's obviously.
 
Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
...I think that puts you in Nidd... :(
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Never mind, we appear to playing Merchant's, so you just have to wait for three players to pass Go and then you are in clear sight of a quadruple back-flip diagonal. In fact, anyone would think you had done it deliberately... :s :D

...St James's Park...
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Ah, I see what you did there, taking advantage with an Ambiguous Bilateral! :D

...North Shields...
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Shocking!!! :D [Buttsy, I make that two now.]

Alexandra Palace
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top