I was looking this morning at the OS town plans of Colne, Nelson, and Burnley (which just shows Rose grove station too) and noticed that all the platforms for all of these stations are labelled opposite to what has been written about, that is, the down platforms are labelled as Up and vice versa. The same applies to the loop line stations (Gt. Harwood & Padiham).
Next, I decided to look at an L&Y WTT from October 1885 more closely, all three stations on the loop line are listed in the Up direction which goes against the L&Y mileposts standard of measuring from Manchester Victoria and listing Victoria as in the Up direction, away, Down, and as I've mentioned before, the loop line mile posts were measured from the Rose Grove end (zero point at the junction there).
I then checked out Accrington on the OS 1890 map, but it only has the platform numbers listed, and by the time I get to Blackburn the platforms there are labelled correctly.
Could this be a throw back to ELR days?
Perhaps when the L&Y built the loop line they just carried on with the Up in the Colne direction?
Any thoughts, anyone?
Next, I decided to look at an L&Y WTT from October 1885 more closely, all three stations on the loop line are listed in the Up direction which goes against the L&Y mileposts standard of measuring from Manchester Victoria and listing Victoria as in the Up direction, away, Down, and as I've mentioned before, the loop line mile posts were measured from the Rose Grove end (zero point at the junction there).
I then checked out Accrington on the OS 1890 map, but it only has the platform numbers listed, and by the time I get to Blackburn the platforms there are labelled correctly.
Could this be a throw back to ELR days?
Perhaps when the L&Y built the loop line they just carried on with the Up in the Colne direction?
Any thoughts, anyone?