• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More bad news for Scottish residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,510
Location
Cheshire
Sky is the obvious one but then why STV/BBC - what are they benefiting out of this? I did have in my mind that in terms of Sky - I just think the media are short sighted if people will watch TV, people will eventually switch off
The BBC have plenty of content to buy or rent on various streaming services...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
The BBC have plenty of content to buy or rent on various streaming services...

Yet have the license fee, could be the same for STV as they have their player/hub as well as be "ad funded" (maybe using wrong term) - so whats the aim then - trying to gain more viewers to their services? (I see another health emergency coming.... via tv but will be comviently forgotten - I know this is more of a UK thing really not isolated to Scotland but it just smacks of hypocrisy again!)
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Yet have the license fee, could be the same for STV as they have their player/hub as well as be "ad funded" (maybe using wrong term) - so whats the aim then - trying to gain more viewers to their services? (I see another health emergency coming.... via tv!)

They're going really big on Britbox now. Their programmes are also now on many mainstream streaming services such as Netflix, Prime etc.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Granted it'll follow for colleges too. (Me)

Solidarity with you.
Thank you. After having my Outlook spammed with emails from Peter Mathieson and Colm Harmon promising more in-person hours this next semester, knowing that we're going back to square one is totally infuriating. I probably won't see a proper lecture till the end of second year, if I'm lucky. What can I say? Sturgeon hates us, probably because we're mostly English, and the uni execs are cheating, two-faced rat bastards. If I see them on the street they're getting more than an earful.

I really hope the outlook is a bit better for you, but unfortunately Sturgeon did also mention colleges. Solidarity, and I hope you have a productive and enjoyable term nevertheless.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Thank you. After having my Outlook spammed with emails from Peter Mathieson and Colm Harmon promising more in-person hours this next semester, knowing that we're going back to square one is totally infuriating. I probably won't see a proper lecture till the end of second year, if I'm lucky. What can I say? Sturgeon hates us, probably because we're mostly English, and the uni execs are cheating, two-faced rat bastards. If I see them on the street they're getting more than an earful.

I really hope the outlook is a bit better for you, but unfortunately Sturgeon did also mention colleges. Solidarity, and I hope you have a productive and enjoyable term nevertheless.
Annoyingly, i’m on a Film course this year and being online really doesn’t help us at all.

Thank you, I hope the remainder of your term turns out okay too!
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Annoyingly, i’m on a Film course this year and being online really doesn’t help us at all.

Thank you, I hope the remainder of your term turns out okay too!
Thank you! That sounds particularly unhelpful so I'm sorry about that.

I guess this is what happens when your crooked VC cares more about filling his wallets and cosying up to Holyrood then he does about, like, paying his staff - and when the SU has no meaningful power (it's not even called a union, it's an 'association') and is about as useful as a wet fish with a narrow focus on superficial inclusivity which isn't carried forward in earnest. It even feels a teensy bit like a punishment for the staff strikes that happened at the start of December lol
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,603
Nicola's putting uni students like us back into online learning.

Pray for me, guys
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Presumably this is part of the spectacularly pointless game of pretending that students doing home-learning stay home with their parents.

FWIW I'm just waiting for her to copy the Welsh, and introduce fines for people going to work if they can't justify not doing it from home to some idiot with a clipboard.

If you don't call it a lockdown then you can apparently make it even worse than last year
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Presumably this is part of the spectacularly pointless game of pretending that students doing home-learning stay home with their parents.

FWIW I'm just waiting for her to copy the Welsh, and introduce fines for people going to work if they can't justify not doing it from home to some idiot with a clipboard.

If you don't call it a lockdown then you can apparently make it even worse than last year
There's absolutely no justification for it, either. We're all vaxxed; some of us are now vaxxed three times over.

It reveals their unwitting xenophobia towards foreign students, because they clearly don't feel foreign countries are capable of actually jabbing people properly. A tiny bit of a neocolonial attitude there. International students are promoted in the EU neoliberal corporate-pluralist fashion, but not if they come from [gasps] Asia.
 

Scotrail12

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2014
Messages
840
I fully expected uni to go online again sadly. Strathclyde were already planning to keep doing multiple of the classes online anyway and in probably my only time ever in education, I did lose my patience and gave the lecturer a few choice words about it. I regret that a little bit but I suppose they need to hear it from someone rather than us just nodding and accepting this sort of treatment.

This is the FIFTH semester in a row that we've been crapped on. At this point, I actually feel robbed of my uni experience. No ability to make friends, barely any interaction, not the same vibe in class, poor teaching, lack of structure, no relationships. Almost feels like I can't live my youth and have missed out on years that I cannot get back. I'm ready to pack up and leave, it's not been the highlight of my life it was sold to me as. I don't think I was ever going to be that person who peaked at uni but I did see some potential in 2019 once I'd settled in that I would have a good time. No chance now. I'm stuck in a flat in Glasgow doing classes I don't even enjoy that much with no social interaction. That is not what I wanted.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
I fully expected uni to go online again sadly. Strathclyde were already planning to keep doing multiple of the classes online anyway and in probably my only time ever in education, I did lose my patience and gave the lecturer a few choice words about it. I regret that a little bit but I suppose they need to hear it from someone rather than us just nodding and accepting this sort of treatment.

This is the FIFTH semester in a row that we've been crapped on. At this point, I actually feel robbed of my uni experience. No ability to make friends, barely any interaction, not the same vibe in class, poor teaching, lack of structure, no relationships. Almost feels like I can't live my youth and have missed out on years that I cannot get back. I'm ready to pack up and leave, it's not been the highlight of my life it was sold to me as. I don't think I was ever going to be that person who peaked at uni but I did see some potential in 2019 once I'd settled in that I would have a good time. No chance now. I'm stuck in a flat in Glasgow doing classes I don't even enjoy that much with no social interaction. That is not what I wanted.
Yes I completely agree with and relate to everything you’ve said here. I moved to Glasgow in 2019 for my first year of university. I met some fantastic new friends, settled in well to my course, enjoyed a relatively busy social life and had a generally great time.

Unfortunately, in March 2020 that was robbed from us. We were convinced it would be a few weeks, and that by June we would be back to enjoy a normal summer and to settle back into second year. This really is what kept me going through the first lockdown!

In June 2020, it became clear that summer would be heavily restricted, but I remained confident that I would be able to move back to uni and make up for lost-time.

In September 2020, things started to change. It became clear that, instead of simply getting “through the peak” of the virus, we were now facing a prolonged period of restrictions and/or lockdown until the population was vaccinated. I moved back to university in Glasgow, but I don’t think I’ve ever felt so isolated and lonely as I did during this time. I remember waking up hating everyone and feeling hopeless.

In November 2020, I did a 5-week placement in a secondary school. This provided some MUCH needed social interaction. It was, on the other hand, depressing to see how schools were different (distanced and masked up) and it was a constant reminder that society was far from normal. I relied quite heavily on visiting my parents back home and consuming more alcohol than I should have to get me through this.

Come January 2021, back into full lockdown, I could see this would be a much harsher, longer lockdown. I moved back home to stay with my parents, as I couldn’t bear the thought of a prolonged lockdown living alone. Online uni was complimented by zoom quiz nights and me drinking more than I should have a good few nights a week to get me through.

I remember feeling enraged at Sturgeon’s announcement for the “routemap” out of lockdown. Accepting heavy restrictions for many more months really was a tough pill to swallow, and I was under no impression that dates given were likely to remain as they were and not be delayed to “be safe”.

Spring/Summer 2021 was actually an okay time for me. I finished my second year of university, starting a part-time job, and spent a lot of time socialising or traveling (often with many members of this forum! If you’re struggling I would definitely recommend attending a forum meet!)

Now, I think I’m about as angry as I’ve ever been. I feel cheated, as if the promise of “freedom” after two vaccine doses has been a complete and utter lie, I feel as if there are very little people who share my viewpoint outwith this forum (my family and friends from uni are entirely drawn into the mainstream narrative).

I feel angriest of all that 50% of my entire university life has been wasted, or completely diminished in quality, purely because of a societal overreaction to a virus we really didn’t need to take such extreme measures for. I’m anxious, and worried, as I now see no way out of this (I’ve went from 2-3 months ago feeling confident and assured that the end was in sight next spring), to now worrying about the reimposition of full lockdown despite 3 vaccine doses.

I’m most angry of all at Nicola Sturgeon, her government, and Jason Leitch, who I feel have robbed so much of my life from me and don’t seem to give the slightest care in this regard. One thing is for sure, I know now, with certainty, I do not want to settle in Scotland.

If you’re ever struggling, as a fellow Glasgow student, please do get in touch. I’m always happy to meet new people (especially ones with similar views!) and would be very happy to meet for a walk, coffee, pint or indeed anything else! :)
 

Berliner

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2020
Messages
399
Location
Edinburgh
Yes I completely agree with and relate to everything you’ve said here. I moved to Glasgow in 2019 for my first year of university. I met some fantastic new friends, settled in well to my course, enjoyed a relatively busy social life and had a generally great time.

Unfortunately, in March 2020 that was robbed from us. We were convinced it would be a few weeks, and that by June we would be back to enjoy a normal summer and to settle back into second year. This really is what kept me going through the first lockdown!

In June 2020, it became clear that summer would be heavily restricted, but I remained confident that I would be able to move back to uni and make up for lost-time.

In September 2020, things started to change. It became clear that, instead of simply getting “through the peak” of the virus, we were now facing a prolonged period of restrictions and/or lockdown until the population was vaccinated. I moved back to university in Glasgow, but I don’t think I’ve ever felt so isolated and lonely as I did during this time. I remember waking up hating everyone and feeling hopeless.

In November 2020, I did a 5-week placement in a secondary school. This provided some MUCH needed social interaction. It was, on the other hand, depressing to see how schools were different (distanced and masked up) and it was a constant reminder that society was far from normal. I relied quite heavily on visiting my parents back home and consuming more alcohol than I should have to get me through this.

Come January 2021, back into full lockdown, I could see this would be a much harsher, longer lockdown. I moved back home to stay with my parents, as I couldn’t bear the thought of a prolonged lockdown living alone. Online uni was complimented by zoom quiz nights and me drinking more than I should have a good few nights a week to get me through.

I remember feeling enraged at Sturgeon’s announcement for the “routemap” out of lockdown. Accepting heavy restrictions for many more months really was a tough pill to swallow, and I was under no impression that dates given were likely to remain as they were and not be delayed to “be safe”.

Spring/Summer 2021 was actually an okay time for me. I finished my second year of university, starting a part-time job, and spent a lot of time socialising or traveling (often with many members of this forum! If you’re struggling I would definitely recommend attending a forum meet!)

Now, I think I’m about as angry as I’ve ever been. I feel cheated, as if the promise of “freedom” after two vaccine doses has been a complete and utter lie, I feel as if there are very little people who share my viewpoint outwith this forum (my family and friends from uni are entirely drawn into the mainstream narrative).

I feel angriest of all that 50% of my entire university life has been wasted, or completely diminished in quality, purely because of a societal overreaction to a virus we really didn’t need to take such extreme measures for. I’m anxious, and worried, as I now see no way out of this (I’ve went from 2-3 months ago feeling confident and assured that the end was in sight next spring), to now worrying about the reimposition of full lockdown despite 3 vaccine doses.

I’m most angry of all at Nicola Sturgeon, her government, and Jason Leitch, who I feel have robbed so much of my life from me and don’t seem to give the slightest care in this regard. One thing is for sure, I know now, with certainty, I do not want to settle in Scotland.

If you’re ever struggling, as a fellow Glasgow student, please do get in touch. I’m always happy to meet new people (especially ones with similar views!) and would be very happy to meet for a walk, coffee, pint or indeed anything else! :)

Completely agree. I can only sympathise as my student days are long gone, but last summer I worked with many who were having anything but a normal student life. The things this government has done cannot be forgiven. Robbing young people of once in a lifetime experiences is just cruel and they have done it with such vigor and, it seems, for absolutely nothing as we are now going backwards yet again because there is a complete unwillingness to even attempt to normalise life with covid. I really don't think anything will ever convince Sturgeon to move on and just put covid behind us...well unless one of her doom and gloom advisors says it's ok. I can only hope she resigns, although it's not looking likely. Whatever the outcome, I hope one day she, and all the others who have done this to us the world over, have to face a jury.
 
Last edited:

farleigh

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2016
Messages
1,156
Completely agree. I can only sympathise as my student days are long gone, but last summer I worked with many who were having anyhtinjg but a normal student life. The things this government has done cannot be forgiven. Robbing young people of once in a lifetime experiences is just cruel and they have done it with such vigor and, it seems, for absolutely nothing as we are now going backwards yet again because there is a complete unwillingness to even attempt to normalise life with covid. I really don't think anything will ever convince Sturgeon to move on and just put covid behind us...well unless one of her doom and gloom advisors says it's ok. I can only hope she resigns, although it's not looking likely. Whatever the outcome, I hope one day she, and all the others who have done this to us the world over, have to face a jury.
Excellent post.

The impact on the younger generation has been unfair.

I am not young
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
This (above) is why Boris isn't going anywhere. Whatever he does, she goes further right on cue.
A genuine question - is the SNP a right or left wing party? I always thought it was left of centre but commentators say it's not that simple.
 

MattA7

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
473
My fear is that she is away to start 2022 as she means to continue with another year of peoples lives wasted and made ill by the restrictions not the virus. People said 2021 would be better but we’re wrong especially for Scottish residents so who’s to say 2022 will be any different.
 

Berliner

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2020
Messages
399
Location
Edinburgh
My fear is that she is away to start 2022 as she means to continue with another year of peoples lives wasted and made ill by the restrictions not the virus. People said 2021 would be better but we’re wrong especially for Scottish residents so who’s to say 2022 will be any different.

This is my fear too. Another year of massive disruption to our lives with decisions made on a whim and announced last minute. Another year of international travel gone, which may not feature high on many people's list of priorities, but I am now seriously starting to think I may never see some very elderly relatives abroad again as I just don't trust any government to suddenly throw a spanner in the works, least of all my home one. I hope in 2022 we see more businesses just refusing to comply and force governments' hands. Not something I'd normally support, but times are desperate and someone needs to step in and try and force normality gain.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,603
A genuine question - is the SNP a right or left wing party? I always thought it was left of centre but commentators say it's not that simple.
Going back to the 70s they gained the monicker "tartan Tories", and up to Salmond they never really did anything that could reasonably be regarded as left wing economically, or progressively for that matter. In the early days of the Scottish parliament the left wing of the Indy movement tended to focus around the Scottish Socialist Party. Once that imploded in acrimony I guess some of them shifted over to the SNP.

More important really was the unholy mess labour made of the independence vote - joining forces with Cameron's Tories without ever understanding that Cameron was not a principled man, and was really more focused on throwing allies under the bus than on opposing the people he purported to oppose. It's the same as in Brexit and the coalition - get close to him and he had a knife lined up for your back and to hell with the long-term consequences.

At the end of that, and with Scottish Labour exhausted and out of credible leadership, Sturgeon was well placed to present herself as the progressive alternative to the Westminster Tories. The fact that they've really never walked the walk - too slow to act progressively on income tax, willing to see councils go to the wall with a council tax freeze, bad transport policy, slow on gay marriage, that's all beside the point. It's just a matter of characterisation at this point. Arriving late to the the social liberalism party they've picked at a few policies the Tories have left as open targets, but most of it is just Identity politics bluster and no action.

In summary they're really more 1950s Tories than anything else - right wing, but not extremely enough to alarm the horses
 

21C101

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2014
Messages
2,559
Going back to the 70s they gained the monicker "tartan Tories", and up to Salmond they never really did anything that could reasonably be regarded as left wing economically, or progressively for that matter. In the early days of the Scottish parliament the left wing of the Indy movement tended to focus around the Scottish Socialist Party. Once that imploded in acrimony I guess some of them shifted over to the SNP.

More important really was the unholy mess labour made of the independence vote - joining forces with Cameron's Tories without ever understanding that Cameron was not a principled man, and was really more focused on throwing allies under the bus than on opposing the people he purported to oppose. It's the same as in Brexit and the coalition - get close to him and he had a knife lined up for your back and to hell with the long-term consequences.

At the end of that, and with Scottish Labour exhausted and out of credible leadership, Sturgeon was well placed to present herself as the progressive alternative to the Westminster Tories. The fact that they've really never walked the walk - too slow to act progressively on income tax, willing to see councils go to the wall with a council tax freeze, bad transport policy, slow on gay marriage, that's all beside the point. It's just a matter of characterisation at this point. Arriving late to the the social liberalism party they've picked at a few policies the Tories have left as open targets, but most of it is just Identity politics bluster and no action.

In summary they're really more 1950s Tories than anything else - right wing, but not extremely enough to alarm the horses
Their actions are more authoritarian than the tories, as evidenced by their lockdown policies as well as in things like child protection, and Scottish free speech/vs hate crime laws.

While there is a good slew of the tory party that is just as authoritarian, it is balanced by a libertarian wing that far more resemble 19th century classical liberals than the Libdems do. The odd thing is that Gove, until Covid one of the latter, has changed sides.

However, the overriding impression down here is that the SNP are wholly unprincipled and all policies are aimed at fostering division and breakup of the UK. So if Boris suddenly started acting like Jacinda Ardern, it wouldn't be any great surprise to see the SNP offering a referendum on bringing back Section 28 and championing Swedens policies on Covid.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
I fully expected uni to go online again sadly. Strathclyde were already planning to keep doing multiple of the classes online anyway and in probably my only time ever in education, I did lose my patience and gave the lecturer a few choice words about it. I regret that a little bit but I suppose they need to hear it from someone rather than us just nodding and accepting this sort of treatment.

This is the FIFTH semester in a row that we've been crapped on. At this point, I actually feel robbed of my uni experience. No ability to make friends, barely any interaction, not the same vibe in class, poor teaching, lack of structure, no relationships. Almost feels like I can't live my youth and have missed out on years that I cannot get back. I'm ready to pack up and leave, it's not been the highlight of my life it was sold to me as. I don't think I was ever going to be that person who peaked at uni but I did see some potential in 2019 once I'd settled in that I would have a good time. No chance now. I'm stuck in a flat in Glasgow doing classes I don't even enjoy that much with no social interaction. That is not what I wanted.
I agree.

I was in City of Glasgow College when we went into the first lockdown and went fully online. Then I started a Photography course later that year, lasted in-person until December and went fully online. I fear the same is going to happen again.

Have any student bodies marched on Holyrood yet to protest going online? I really think students need to get their voices heard.

For example, this year we didn't know we'd be going online for the last week at all. We got told via a lecturer who was equally as angry that the student association didn't bother telling us via email, yet they are perfectly fine advertising events.

Enough is enough now.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
This is my fear too. Another year of massive disruption to our lives with decisions made on a whim and announced last minute. Another year of international travel gone, which may not feature high on many people's list of priorities, but I am now seriously starting to think I may never see some very elderly relatives abroad again as I just don't trust any government to suddenly throw a spanner in the works, least of all my home one. I hope in 2022 we see more businesses just refusing to comply and force governments' hands. Not something I'd normally support, but times are desperate and someone needs to step in and try and force normality gain.

That's a bit of an exaggeration !!!

I've managed to get to Ireland, Germany , Greece, Albania and Turkey in the last few months.

It could have been easier but has been possible if you have your wits about you.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
More important really was the unholy mess labour made of the independence vote - joining forces with Cameron's Tories without ever understanding that Cameron was not a principled man, and was really more focused on throwing allies under the bus than on opposing the people he purported to oppose.
Why would Labour have done anything else?
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,603
Why would Labour have done anything else?
There was no need or value in having a combined No campaign. Same applied in the Brexit referendum - if you don't combine forces it turns out you can get more distinct messages out and spend twice as much money. Extremely off-topic anyway
 

Berliner

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2020
Messages
399
Location
Edinburgh
That's a bit of an exaggeration !!!

I've managed to get to Ireland, Germany , Greece, Albania and Turkey in the last few months.

It could have been easier but has been possible if you have your wits about you.

Well, I got away too, last-minute European breaks on a few occasions. They were fine, although 2 of my holidays would now be forbidden due to the entry rules of the other countries. That said, the USA was closed until recently and that's where I need to go.

What I meant was you can't forward plan anything as you just don't know what restrictions will come back and it's not an exaggeration, for much of this year and a lot of last year travel, even domestic, was written off, indeed it was illegal.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
Well, I got away too, last-minute European breaks on a few occasions. They were fine, although 2 of my holidays would now be forbidden due to the entry rules of the other countries. That said, the USA was closed until recently and that's where I need to go.

What I meant was you can't forward plan anything as you just don't know what restrictions will come back and it's not an exaggeration, for much of this year and a lot of last year travel, even domestic, was written off, indeed it was illegal.

Agreed - the worst aspect of the current set up in my view the pre-return to the UK Test.

I was bricking it waiting for the little box to declare me covid free in Istanbul.

10 days there - ugghhhhh !!
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,756
Location
Midlands
Like for England Queen Nicola is withdrawing most Covid restrictions in Scotland but from what I have just read this is a return to the same as October so working from home, table service only for hospitality, masks on public transport & in shops and Covid passports for nightclubs and large gatherings / events unlike in England despite a lack of evidence that there are significant benefits.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,603
Like for England Queen Nicola is withdrawing most Covid restrictions in Scotland but from what I have just read this is a return to the same as October so working from home, table service only for hospitality, masks on public transport & in shops and Covid passports for nightclubs and large gatherings / events unlike in England despite a lack of evidence that there are significant benefits.
As far as I'm aware table service is going. It was certainly not in place between the summer and Christmas Day. Work from home is also going back to the *very* loosely-observed recommendation that was in place before December. The masks will be going back to the previous rules, albeit with much higher awareness that nobody in England is bothering and there's no enforcement. I expect them and vaccine passports to get quietly dumped by the government in march.

It is pretty disingenuous to claim that Scotland is getting rid of most restrictions though, when we're actually basically just going back to England's plan B
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Looks like the narrative has (finally!) changed in Scotland, took them long enough.

Restriction addict Jason Leitch has now come out and said we must learn to live with the virus, that masks in schools should go soon, and all remaining restrictions should be removed (albeit gradually).

The "day is coming" when the use of face masks in Scotland's schools will end, a top government adviser has said.
The Scottish government's national clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch, said he believed the requirement to wear masks in schools will be withdrawn soon, but he did not know when.
Prof Leitch also said science had now been able to "de-fang" Covid, and the worst was likely behind us.
However, he warned future restrictions could still be needed.
Asked on the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme about when face masks in schools would be discarded, Prof Leitch said "I honestly don't know" but that advice would follow.
He said an education recovery group, chaired by the public health expert and government adviser Linda Bauld, would make recommendations to government clinicians about the timing of the removal…

…
Prof Leitch was also asked about a claim by another public health expert, Prof Devi Sridhar, that science had "de-fanged" the virus.
He agreed, and said it was also right to think about how the remaining restrictions should be removed.
Pointing to working from home, testing and contact tracing, vaccination, and face coverings, he said these had to be removed gradually.
"We've learned removing the plaster all at once goes badly.
"So don't do it all at once. Do it gradually."
He added: "I think we have de-fanged the virus to some extent, and I think these things will in time go."

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60081412)

About time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top