• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Morality of Delay Repay after an "incident"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
Below is a quote from the GWR website.

The part I've highlighted in bold - is that correct and are they allowed to withhold payment of compensation in those circumstances?
For now, yes, as they do not operate a Delay Repay scheme.
 

BigCj34

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2016
Messages
793
I got compensated for a journey that was 30 minutes late (technically 29 minutes by my watch but I did ask and Virgin said it would be fine to claim), and got reimbursed twice over for a £7.60 ticket. I was told to claim again when I enquired about my claim as it was taking a long time. I did tell Virgin I was paid twice but they said I could keep it.
 

Bellbell

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
245
I was very delayed on a packed Xmas-eve train to Glasgow after an 'incident', leaving me standing for more hours.

When I enquired about delay-repay to a member of the train crew they were apoplectic!

If it was in the immediate aftermath I can kind of understand a poor reaction, although apoplectic seems a bit much. It may be that the staff member knew staff members involved in the incident and was worried about them. It's very likely that they were busy dealing with connections/taxis with worried passengers, and having to liaise with control. I'm not in the slightest suggesting it's easy for passengers when these things happen, particularly on Xmas Eve, but it's certainly an occasion when staff earn their money and given that compensation is not something any onboard crew can sort for you, perhaps they felt the question was ill-timed? As I said, they still should not be reacting in such a way to be described as apoplectic, but a bit short I could understand.

In the same vein, but to the OP's question, I don't have a moral issue with claiming compensation although I think donating it to Samaritans is a nice idea. I do have a problem with people moaning on social media about the delays and asking about compensation then, when they've been told what the issue is.
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
I'm sure many of us would do likewise if we got 75% off ;)

Even if I didn't I wouldn't. Maybe in extreme circumstances where I was genuinely inconvenienced I would. But in general terms I wouldn't because I accept that sometimes stuff goes wrong and it's not always the railway at fault so I don't see why the railway should have to pay.
I think delay repay should be scrapped and each delay should be looked at on it's own merit. The current system is far to easy to manipulate and cheat and I don't think it does anything to incentivise the railway to improve timekeeping. In fact it can sometimes do the opposite.
I guess not many on here will agree with me but just my two penneth :lol:
 

Barn

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,487
There's a difference between fault and liability. It is probably not a retailer's fault if an item has a manufacturing problem, but they're still liable at law. That liability belongs to the railway because, even for those things that may always happen, the railway is best placed to take steps to understand, control and mitigate those risks. The cost of the liability is factored into the financial models of TOCs so to some extent by not claiming you may be allowing the TOC to itself profit from the incident.
 
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
570
I agree with Minilad things go wrong sometimes and that's life. I think delay repay is all part of the blame culture, rather than openly discuss how things can improve and reduce problems in future some one must be made an example of and people must be made to pay.
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
But such things, and I expect there will be others, makes it easier for the genuine and scamsters alike.

TOCs are now on the lookout for fraud (let's call it what it is, a criminal offence) since the advent of sites like Delay Repay Sniper. And they're beginning to talk to each other as well, because there are fraudsters who claim from more than one TOC.
 

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,582
Location
Lancashire
Are staff travelling on priv reduced tickets actually entitled to claim delay repay?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top