To be fair to them, they did say as much in the piece.Why? The bbc asks, i can answer that! UK Govt put in 5bn into uk's private railways GDR pay in to state owned DB 10bn!
To be fair to them, they did say as much in the piece.Why? The bbc asks, i can answer that! UK Govt put in 5bn into uk's private railways GDR pay in to state owned DB 10bn!
How dare you take this thread off at such a ridiculous tangent ...........
See other thread. This one is about moaning newspapers and will inevitably descend into Godwinesque comments, which of course, I have studiously avoided. Actually, they are very slow off the mark this morning, probably new year office parties not recovered from yet (or political editors sunning in Barbados more probably).
Update I notice that the problems north of Carlisle have not been awoken to in any great degree, for instance. I had expected 'WCML meltdown' but nothing.
seemed fine this morning. Next!
One Evening Standard online offering this morning talked about the Arrival Trains Wales strike affecting services into Waterloo

I was handed a promotional postcard from an organisation called "Action for Rail" at my local station this morning, suggesting that "a publically owned railway" will free us from "overcrowded, under-staffed and often late train services". Now I am very much for a unified railway system, and believe that British Rail were a pretty effective organisation towards the end, but I think that these folks could do with removing their rose tinted spectacles if they think that all our ills will be cured simply by making the railways publically owned.![]()
And Railtrack throwing away (or passing to contractors) much of the vital records that BR had kept. One of the perils of privatisation, records cost money to keep.We're still paying quite a heavy price for our predecessors going about building and documenting their railways in some of the most cack-handed ways possible at times.
Least it was cheaper under BR for the same thing then.Quite. Whilst the railway cost less under BR, and certainly under sectorisation it was efficient, it was overcrowded, under staffed, and often late. That is more down to the fact that the network, then as now, is run at capacity, and that brown smelly stuff happens.
The Scum has Pandered to the lowest common denominator for years under Murdoch. He Belatedly realised that readers could get their daily dose of naked breast off the internet (especially via rival Desmond's subscription porn channels) so he moved on to migrant and minority bashing. Can't wait for the front page apology he has been ordered to make on that issue by the regulator.
Whilst the hate mail blames all our woes on immigrants, trade unionists and the crypto-communists embedded in the public sector. Therefore it hasn't moved on in the 75 years since it praised a certain inter-war German politician that also made a point of blaming all his country's woes on communists, ethnic minorities and trade unionists.
Least it was cheaper under BR for the same thing then.
*apart from failing to get 68 009 for haulage when it failed with a brake fault at Moor Street when I was waiting at Leamington to intercept it at 13.22, but I recovered the situation by quickly getting myself a ticket for the 13.32 to Stratford upon Avon and back in order to get the Hatton chord in my atlas...
It must be wonderful to live in a world where retail prices stayed frozen at the level when BR finally met its demise.
I am sure that many forum members can come up with a list of "then and now" prices. I will start the ball rolling by suggesting the price of a first class stamp in the same period.
Who uses stamps any more?
BR ceased to exist in 1997.
In 1997 I paid £70 per gigabyte for internet access. Today I pay less than 1% of that.
In 1997 I bought a new laptop for £1200. Today I saw one on sale for £200.
Retail price index? If so tickets would be much less.Back in 1997 they were both new technology, why don't you price up comparable things, house prices, new car prices, washing machines etc!
Just out of interest what do you think of the people who read / buy The Sun and The Daily Mail?
It must be wonderful to live in a world where retail prices stayed frozen at the level when BR finally met its demise.
I am sure that many forum members can come up with a list of "then and now" prices. I will start the ball rolling by suggesting the price of a first class stamp in the same period.
They were insane raises I have to sayIf you want to compare rail fare increases over time you may find the attached table of interest taken from Gourvish business history of British Rail. It shows fare increases were well in excess of inflation during the 1980s
Just out of interest do you mark your atlas with routes that you've traveled on?
So, were there any over-runs causing Rail Chaos?
Just out of interest what do you think of the people who read / buy The Sun and The Daily Mail?
I haven't bought a stamp in years!
If you want to compare rail fare increases over time you may find the attached table of interest taken from Gourvish business history of British Rail. It shows fare increases were well in excess of inflation during the 1980s