• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monday 4th January 2016 - Rail Chaos/Meltdown predicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceBishop

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2014
Messages
45
Location
Co. Durham
I suppose this is why most of the Country is so rude ! It DOES NOT HURT TO SAY THANKYOU! its just common decency, When I take a parcel from the Postie I say thankyou, or in a shop I say thankyou, but they are all being 'paid' ! in fact I find it quite annoying and simply bad manners when I put the effort in, and my Manager does not say 'Thankyou' !

I think I dealt with this point in a subsequent post to the one you've quoted. If you're interested see above.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,231
Anyway.... The Guardian is up to its usual slanderous reporting, this time about rail fare rises. Although to be fair they are right! Corbyn is calling for renationalisation which some people think is the be all and end all solution while others think that is the worst possible answer.


http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...r-staggering-rail-fare-rises?CMP=share_btn_tw

I note that the biggest increase they can find is an annual ticket between "Thame Bridge Parkway" (sic) and Nuneaton. Wonder how many of those get sold each year?
 

Andrewlong

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2013
Messages
373
Location
Earley
I note that the biggest increase they can find is an annual ticket between "Thame Bridge Parkway" (sic) and Nuneaton. Wonder how many of those get sold each year?

They do quote commuting from Birmingham New Street to London now costs over £10k per year - to which I would comment that if you paying that out of your own pocket you should be factoring in annual inflation increases.
 

Amberley54

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
305
Location
East Cheshire.
On my commute into Waterloo on a weekday I'm more often than not a hard pressed commuter!

On a serious note if infrastructure renewal projects carried out over Christmas were finished on time the media wouldn't have half the ammunition that they were gifted last Christmas. Finsbury Park anyone? The media publish stories about over running projects because its that kind of thing that attracts people's


For what its worth I can't stand the Daily Mail however I think its worth pointing out that its the 2nd best selling daily paper after the Sun so it must be doing something right!

The Scum has Pandered to the lowest common denominator for years under Murdoch. He Belatedly realised that readers could get their daily dose of naked breast off the internet (especially via rival Desmond's subscription porn channels) so he moved on to migrant and minority bashing. Can't wait for the front page apology he has been ordered to make on that issue by the regulator.

Whilst the hate mail blames all our woes on immigrants, trade unionists and the crypto-communists embedded in the public sector. Therefore it hasn't moved on in the 75 years since it praised a certain inter-war German politician that also made a point of blaming all his country's woes on communists, ethnic minorities and trade unionists.
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Therefore it hasn't moved on in the 75 years since it praised a certain inter-war German politician that also made a point of blaming all his country's woes on communists, ethnic minorities and trade unionists.
Inter-war German politician, who are you on abou..... Wait a minute!
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
We should play bingo!

The RailUK Forums Sighing Game
When you read these words, sigh heavily!

'Slammed'

'Rail bosses'

'Admit'

'Misery'

'Furious'

'Crush'

'Fiasco'

'Meltdown'

'Unacceptable'

'Thousands of passengers...'

'...one in 3/5/7 journeys...'

'Chelsea, 21, from Southend, says...'

'They should have...'

'i cant get home becuz u CANCELLED the train *angry emoji*'

'*A relatively famous person* said...'

'Thousands took to social media/twitter/facebook to say...'
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
The BBC is protected by its license fee

The BBC has had a £1bn cut in it's revenue in the period 2010-2020 (£250m to fund the world service, £600m cost of funding free TV licence fees for over-75s, £150m for funding broadband, £125m for S4C and BBC Monitoring etc), plus a reduced income (not only a freeze on the license fee, but I was close to not bothering renewing my license this year as I very rarely watch live TV, I'm sure others who are more concerned by the £2.80 a week have given up watching live TV completely)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For what its worth I can't stand the Daily Mail however I think its worth pointing out that its the 2nd best selling daily paper after the Sun so it must be doing something right!

Pandering to people's fears. Telling them it's OK to have their base prejudices, while shifting the Overton Window to the "disgusting" end.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They do quote commuting from Birmingham New Street to London now costs over £10k per year - to which I would comment that if you paying that out of your own pocket you should be factoring in annual inflation increases.

Surely if you're season ticket is £10k, £5k or £2.5k you'd have to keep in mind inflation. Most annual ticket holders will have bought before christmas anyway, thus this year's rise won't apply until next year.

At least Birmingham have competition - Virgin, Chiltern and LM.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Inter-war German politician, who are you on abou..... Wait a minute!

Yup, Otto Wels
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
Surely if you're season ticket is £10k, £5k or £2.5k you'd have to keep in mind inflation. Most annual ticket holders will have bought before christmas anyway, thus this year's rise won't apply until next year.

I suggest we get rid of season tickets given the negative publicity every year and make people buy daily tickets - it would get the railway more income and doubtless reduce the subsidy and satisfy the public :roll:

Perhaps then they might appreciate the value of their season ticket
 

PrinceBishop

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2014
Messages
45
Location
Co. Durham
The BBC has had a £1bn cut in it's revenue in the period 2010-2020 (£250m to fund the world service, £600m cost of funding free TV licence fees for over-75s, £150m for funding broadband, £125m for S4C and BBC Monitoring etc), plus a reduced income (not only a freeze on the license fee, but I was close to not bothering renewing my license this year as I very rarely watch live TV, I'm sure others who are more concerned by the £2.80 a week have given up watching live TV completely)

Well perhaps in time the BBC will be forced to get rid of its dedicated transport correspondents as well. The BBC still has many times the funding that none publicly funded news gathering organisations have, license fee cut or no license fee cut.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
The Scum has Pandered to the lowest common denominator for years under Murdoch. He Belatedly realised that readers could get their daily dose of naked breast off the internet (especially via rival Desmond's subscription porn channels) so he moved on to migrant and minority bashing. Can't wait for the front page apology he has been ordered to make on that issue by the regulator.

Whilst the hate mail blames all our woes on immigrants, trade unionists and the crypto-communists embedded in the public sector. Therefore it hasn't moved on in the 75 years since it praised a certain inter-war German politician that also made a point of blaming all his country's woes on communists, ethnic minorities and trade unionists.

I don't buy either of these papers but this vitriol and bile is pretty pathetic quite honestly
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Well perhaps in time the BBC will be forced to get rid of its dedicated transport correspondents as well. The BBC still has many times the funding that none publicly funded news gathering organisations have, license fee cut or no license fee cut.
Don't forget that in return for the licence fee the BBC also has obligations that the other organisations do not and doesn't receive any revenue through advertising unlike everyone else.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
Don't forget that in return for the licence fee the BBC also has obligations that the other organisations do not and doesn't receive any revenue through advertising unlike everyone else.

I would happily see some advertising on BBC during certain times or for certain programmes. eg Peak time slots and for the major sports if it meant more sport on the BBC rather than having to buy a subscription.

Not sure what this has to do with Railways and Monday 4 January mind.
 
Last edited:

PrinceBishop

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2014
Messages
45
Location
Co. Durham
Don't forget that in return for the licence fee the BBC also has obligations that the other organisations do not and doesn't receive any revenue through advertising unlike everyone else.

I haven't forgotten. Though even taking this into account it still has far more resources for news gathering than those not funded by the license fee. I didn't mean for this to become an argument about the BBC vs. the rest of the media though. Simply that all media organisations (including the BBC) will be stretched to employ specialists in given subject areas. Most already are. The quality of reporting on things such as the railways has therefore declined. Not a good thing but that's the way it is unfortunately.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
I would happily see some advertising on BBC during certain times or for certain programmes. eg Peak time slots and for the major sports if it meant more sport on the BBC rather than having to buy a subscription.

Not sure what this has to do with Railways and Monday 4 January mind.
The commercial channels (like ITV) would love that. They're struggling enough as it is.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Was Hitler, the Daily Mail under its owner Lord Rothermere supported Hitler, Mussolini and Mosley during 1933/34 until the violence carried out by fascists became hard to defend. The paper continued to oppose Jewish refugees coming to Britain from Germany throughout the 30's calling it 'A problem we have often pointed out'.
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
If it's ok to mention railways in this thread there are signal problems at Purley, whether they are connected to the engineering work that was completed on time I don't know? Also signal problems at Hastings.
 
Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
BBC Breakfast are at it this morning. As part of a series about the struggles getting to work Chorley to Manchester was compared to a commute to berlin. Packed out on a 156 doesnt seem to compare with what looked like a half full bombardier tram and with half the equivalent fare. Why? The bbc asks, i can answer that! UK Govt put in 5bn into uk's private railways GDR pay in to state owned DB 10bn!
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,464
Location
Back in Sussex
If it's ok to mention railways in this thread there are signal problems at Purley, whether they are connected to the engineering work that was completed on time I don't know? Also signal problems at Hastings.

How dare you take this thread off at such a ridiculous tangent ...........
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Anyway.... The Guardian is up to its usual slanderous reporting, this time about rail fare rises. Although to be fair they are right! Corbyn is calling for renationalisation which some people think is the be all and end all solution while others think that is the worst possible answer.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...r-staggering-rail-fare-rises?CMP=share_btn_tw

That's not a piece about railways, it's about politics (both sides quoted).
It was also written by the Press Association, not a Guardian staffer.
They are usually one of the fairest papers with good industry contacts.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
If it's ok to mention railways in this thread there are signal problems at Purley, whether they are connected to the engineering work that was completed on time I don't know? Also signal problems at Hastings.
See other thread. This one is about moaning newspapers and will inevitably descend into Godwinesque comments, which of course, I have studiously avoided. Actually, they are very slow off the mark this morning, probably new year office parties not recovered from yet (or political editors sunning in Barbados more probably).

Update I notice that the problems north of Carlisle have not been awoken to in any great degree, for instance. I had expected 'WCML meltdown' but nothing.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top