It’s not generalised or prejudiced at all.
It’s a simple fact that in most cases trams encourage greater modal shift than buses do. Heavy rail has even higher modal shift.
The stuff people will get offended at!
I'm not offended by reasoned arguments such as this, its more the underlying prejudice of influential lobbies such as the BBC (paid for by the licence payer) and others. See also Thatcher's comments...which in keeping with the attitude of the free marketeers in the bus industry, was just copied from someone else with 30 changed to 26. For those who weren't around at the time, the original comment was made by the Duchess of Westminster in about 1961, but Thatcher paraphrased it during the lead up to Bus Deregulation.
I recently saw a "public survey" - another shamocracy con; have you ever been canvassed for your political opinions? No, neither have I, nor anyone I know, or anyone my family knows. This (national) survey was actually from about 10 years ago, and straight away it was unrepresentative as it stated that 81% of people asked had a car/van in the household. The national average at that time would have been about 70%. It asked about transport modal habits and it stated that 22% of respondents didn't use buses because they found it "socially unacceptable". To me that's no different than saying you wouldn't go into a "gay" bar, because its socially unacceptable, or you wouldn't buy from a business that employs people with different coloured skin, because its socially unacceptable. But then again, I'm not a qualified psychologist.
The tram has the benefit of being easier to understand for the occasional user - it is obvious where it stops and there is a simple service pattern with a diagrammatic map, as well as real time information. This is easier to understand than a multiplicity of bus routes, not always presented in a clear way, with the risk of "waiting for ages then three turn up" then getting off at the wrong stop and having to walk some distance.
Again though, a lot is perception rather than reality. Metrolink routes swap and change regularly, and punctuality of rail can be appalling. I DO use the train at present - dependent on the weather; my day-to-day health; and whether the train is actually running. Since the clocks went back until Christmas, I have caught or attempted to catch the train to M'cr on 24 occasions; Twice the line was closed due to Signal Failure, so it was (service) bus to the rescue. The total delay on the other 22 occasions was 2hrs 14 minutes (average c.6 mins - not good for a 4 mile journey). Further, I managed to avoid two other Signal Failures due to pure luck with days off work; plus one in the evening which I knew in advance, so again I went for the bus; plus a "line incursion"on a Saturday, which RTI simply couldn't cope with; plus one other one which I didn't know about until the 4 weekly Performance Report was posted. Incidentally, those Reports didn't recognise any of the other SIX I've detailed above.
As for Metrolink, there is one thing that hasn't been mentioned amongst all these discussions, and that is that they are the least comfortable public transport vehicles I have EVER tried sitting on. Worse than Blackpool trams; worse than Tyne & Wear Metro, worse than any bus Stagecoach Manchester have run (except some Dennis Darts inherited from Bluebird and Dennis's) and even worse than First's 1999 Volvo/Alexanders. I only use Metrolink to cross the city (with a "CTLZ" rall ticket), and I stand up irrelevant of how full or empty the carriage is.