• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile Roaming Costs - Cheaper than being in UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Has anyone else found this?

I'm an Orange (EE) PAYG customer, and outside of the bundled texts I get when topping up, texts cost 12p (and in the case of texting a friend in another country who has a local (to that country) mobile number, 20p. Call costs are always 30p (rip-off in itself, I know, but I don't call much on it anyway) a min (or part of)

I was away with family in the Netherlands just over a week ago. I didn't actually check roaming costs at the time, as I knew I wasn't going to use it much, but did a bit of digging on my account at the texts I did send, which I have since verified on the website advertising. It appears all texts I sent to mobiles, both UK and another country, were charged at 8p. Call costs to UK numbers it seems are 24p min a minute to make.

So, roaming charges have now reduced to the point that its cheaper to text from abroad than in the local country! I wonder when they will stop ripping off UK customers when in their home country!

I'd love to have a whinge at them, but the only way to do it is by letter (make it as difficult as possible ;)) and at the end of the day, I doubt it would achieve anything useful :(
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Three 321. 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB. Undercuts Giffgaff, Tesco and other MVNOs. A fantastic tariff for those who make a modest amount of calls and texts and use data sparingly (1p/MB might sound cheap but 1GB = £10!).

This tariff was released recently and IMO is an excellent addition to a market which has seen little serious competition in a long time.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I am with Tesco. On a recent trip to Tenerife, my usage came out of my contract UK minutes. No extra charges were shown for these items, and my bill came at its normal £15. I therefore propose Tesco mobile to provide the best roaming charge.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Three 321. 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB. Undercuts Giffgaff, Tesco and other MVNOs. A fantastic tariff for those who make a modest amount of calls and texts and use data sparingly (1p/MB might sound cheap but 1GB = £10!).

This tariff was released recently and IMO is an excellent addition to a market which has seen little serious competition in a long time.

That does a rather good tariff - thanks for sharing :D

To be honest, I suspect had I been using the Orange phone as my main one, I would have seriously considered a change by now (my phone is ancient and only does WAP!)
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Roaming call, text and internet charges in the EU are now regulated by new EU legislation.

Domestic charges are not.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Roaming call, text and internet charges in the EU are now regulated by new EU legislation.

Domestic charges are not.

Wonderful...just wonderful...

I wonder if the likes of what Three have, as posted above, will kick the other big players into knocking themselves into line...
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
I wonder if the likes of what Three have, as posted above, will kick the other big players into knocking themselves into line...

The Three tariff is good for many UK customers but:
  • They rip you off on non-geographic numbers (35p/min for 0844/0845/0870) unlike Giffgaff
  • I haven't checked roaming charges - they might be higher than other PAYG tariffs
A panacea tariff would be the Three 321 + Giffgaff's free 0800 and 8p/min non-geographic rates + cheap data add-ons + reasonable roaming charges. I'm still waiting!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Every tariff has to get you somewhere! For me, the Three tariff is awesome for data. You get 150MB free for every top up so do £5 top ups and you're even better off!
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Personally I avoid Three (like I used to avoid T-Mobile until they joined with Orange) due to their signal coverage being so bad from my own personal experience, so I think that they can only so much as there will always be others, like me, willing to pay a bit more to avoid the stress.

Nonetheless, I thought most companies give you such a high inclusive text allowance that it was almost impossible to go over it! I'm looking for a change of 'phone at the moment; I was on an 18 Month contract and have been on Giffgaff for the last 18 Months but my 'phone is getting on a bit now; and the companies offer far more than I need but I seem forced to take it because I want at least 750mb data.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Personally I avoid Three (like I used to avoid T-Mobile until they joined with Orange) due to their signal coverage being so bad from my own personal experience, so I think that they can only so much as there will always be others, like me, willing to pay a bit more to avoid the stress.

Three does of course share cell sites with EE. It was originally Three and T-Mobile that began, with Orange joining later.

Only difference is for 2G, but my phone is locked to 3G to save battery anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
 

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,058
The Three tariff is good for many UK customers but:.....
I haven't checked roaming charges - they might be higher than other PAYG tariffs
In the EU they cannot exceed the rates stated above. Roaming rates are capped by EU law. Outside the EU they can (and often do- all of them) charge whatever they like.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Three once charged less than the capped rates. It also had its '3LikeHome' deal, so you just used your bundled minutes/texts/data anywhere in Europe.

Sadly, they axed this and went with the flow. It was later (much later) replaced with a £5 for 24 hours of unlimited data in the EU - but without tethering, which sadly makes it a lot less useful.

I do hope that we don't see any nasty tricks when the EU finally does away with roaming charges within the EU, but can already see how that's going to happen by looking at Vodafone's advertising that shows your bundles as 'UK only'. So, when roaming, you'll have to pay extra (technically) as it will be on top of whatever data you have already paid for.

In that respect, Three's 321 deal could be even better value.

I am with Tesco. On a recent trip to Tenerife, my usage came out of my contract UK minutes. No extra charges were shown for these items, and my bill came at its normal £15. I therefore propose Tesco mobile to provide the best roaming charge.

Are you sure about this? I am not aware of any network not charging anything for roaming (at least not without some extra subscription/add-on/bundle) - but it can sometimes take a month or two for the charges to show up.
 
Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Are you sure about this? I am not aware of any network not charging anything for roaming (at least not without some extra subscription/add-on/bundle) - but it can sometimes take a month or two for the charges to show up.

Yep 100% certain
see attached screen print of my bill, personal info deleted.
 

Attachments

  • phone bill.jpg
    phone bill.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 26

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,777
Location
Yorkshire
Personally I avoid Three (like I used to avoid T-Mobile until they joined with Orange) due to their signal coverage being so bad from my own personal experience, so I think that they can only so much as there will always be others, like me, willing to pay a bit more to avoid the stress.

Nonetheless, I thought most companies give you such a high inclusive text allowance that it was almost impossible to go over it! I'm looking for a change of 'phone at the moment; I was on an 18 Month contract and have been on Giffgaff for the last 18 Months but my 'phone is getting on a bit now; and the companies offer far more than I need but I seem forced to take it because I want at least 750mb data.

I found my 3 connectivity very reliant on what phone I used. My Samsung S3 seems fine - I've just a couple of gaps on the EC line and oddly, a couple of low signal points on the Isle of Dogs. Great at home in rural West Yorkshire going on North Yorkshire.

I'm a big fan of their One Tariff (http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/All_about_The_One_Plan) but I really use the data (including specifically allowing use as a hotspot).
I've been on the contract nearly 3 years and my data usage has increased from about 1Gb in the first month I had it to 7.5Gb last month (and looking similar this month).

No-one else seems to do proper unlimited data.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I have one PAYG phone on giffgaff (O2 network), which I use for work, and a contract phone on Three's One Plan for personal use. Three is clearly better for mobile internet, the coverage and speed is quite impressive considering it's the smallest (non-virtual) network. I find that O2 has better coverage for making calls/texts, and I sometimes struggle to get a decent Three signal inside buildings. I am sure others can explain the technical reason.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I have one PAYG phone on giffgaff (O2 network), which I use for work, and a contract phone on Three's One Plan for personal use. Three is clearly better for mobile internet, the coverage and speed is quite impressive considering it's the smallest (non-virtual) network. I find that O2 has better coverage for making calls/texts, and I sometimes struggle to get a decent Three signal inside buildings. I am sure others can explain the technical reason.

I'm changing to 02 as soon as I can. I've had enough of Orange and I've had enough of Apple. I'll be switching to Blackberry (or Samsung) once I've paid for a few other things, most of which involve railway tickets!

I also struggle to get a decent signal. Remember that story about the woman in Sainsbury's who wouldn't get served because she was on her mobile? I don't know how she managed that, because I can never get a signal in Sainsbury's, and quite a few other shops as well.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
I sometimes struggle to get a decent Three signal inside buildings. I am sure others can explain the technical reason.
Higher frequencies don't penetrate buildings as well as lower frequencies.

Three's allocated 3G spectrum is in the 2100Mhz band. Whereas Vodafone and 02 have some 3G spectrum in the 900MHz band.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Yes, and 4G also has some at 800MHz. Orange/EE has its 4G currently at 1800, reusing analogue spectrum.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
If anyone is on Orange or T-Mobile and is under 24, then ask customer services about it. I get unlimited calls & texts to the EE family eg Orange, T-Mobile & EE plus an extra 1GB data.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top