• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mistakes in the moves book/records

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all,

I'm sure we've all done it at somepoint. Is there any mistakes you've made in your moves list or on record, especially when you've not been able to rectify them?

I just noticed one today on my RailMiles, how I came up with this I don't know!

http://james143611.railmiles.org/tops-150950/

Maybe I got a 150 and 950 combination :lol:! Unfortunately I don't know where my records for that are, and don't know what it could have been, 150050? Was that a number with LM then?

I also remember making a complete error on a 142 number once on a move in the Valleys, it was only until a few days later I was going to red pen the number, and noticed the depot code was Newton Heath. Somehow I got a Northern Pacer on the valleys!

I think I put one on here too where I had a 165 on the Windsor branch and then a couple of hours later from Reading. Thankfully my mate had his records and I got the number from Reading wrong.

Anyone else stuffed up their numbers massively?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
Anyone else stuffed up their numbers massively?

As far as I know, no.

The closest I've came to getting it wrong was double-checking numbers on here when something looked a bit suspect in my notes. On a couple of occasions, I've had the same power car on consecutive days, but paired differently. This is of course very plausible (set changes do happen frequently, let's be honest!) but I obviously thought that something wasn't quite right.

However, this sort of thing can be checked on here very easily and confirm that the power car in question had indeed gained a new pair as suspected. 43132 just enjoys following me....

Other minor cock-up averted was in France, with the Z 26500 class on Paris -Normandie services. They carry a set number on the nose, but it was only upon getting a fleet list that I realised that the set number on the nose is not the 'actual' number.

For example, the unit which carries number 516 on it's nose is actually unit Z 26531/532. Before getting a fleet list, I was writing the unit in as Z26516, which is actually unit 408 and based in the South (PACA region). French logic there....
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
That's what I thought. In fact, that SHOULD be definitely the correct one. Memory serves we did the Lickey Incline that day, and 158950 sounds familiar. Not got my RailMiles account active to check, but it should be 158950 for that one.

I'm sure I've made glaring mistakes like that in the past, although usually I notice them there and then so get them fixed quickly. However I am missing a lot of journeys on my RailMiles pages, trying to find all the details now is not proving easy whatsoever! I'd estimate I have around 3,000 miles missing from my totals because I am missing stuff and I haven't yet got all my records found. Doesn't help I didn't have one book for the moves until 2012!
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I somehow managed to do a move on 143617 in the Valleys, which is a FGW unit!

In Belgium I managed to have a couple of non-existent EMUs for sight after getting the number wrong when passing yards at high speed.
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
I quick search through my spreadsheet reveals I photted a non-existant 159, 159409, at Cambridge in 2010, and no doubt have made more mistakes like that in the past, however they are normally quickly rectified.

The biggest mistake I make when it comes to my records is not making them at all! So my moves spreadsheet looks like this in places (N.B. Data such as which service it was is missing because I haven't yet inserted that information - I only started compiling the record last week using photographs I took at the time!):
 

Attachments

  • Moves spreadsheet.jpg
    Moves spreadsheet.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Cambridge? That could be NXEA's 156409.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top