• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missed Connection. Next Train in Two Hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Day

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2018
Messages
761
Location
Bristol
Slightly concerning to me that the OP appears to be a member of staff who hasn’t had sufficient training to know the answer to a common situation and is using this public forum for advice.

Is there any mechanism behind the scenes whereby LNER get paid for carrying the passenger even if the passenger doesn’t buy a new ticket?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,463
Location
Somerset
I've had an LNER Train Manager dig in a bit and want details of the connecting service I'd claimed to be delayed on and subsequently missed my connection, and checked it out for herself before correctly accepting my ticket.

The only time I've had that happen and it seemed a bit OTT, but ultimately people will take the mick.
Seems absolutely fair enough.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I thought that was the case. There was a lot going on that night so it was easier to just let him pass!

Would it be same if, for example, the Underground was delayed? As long as they’ve left enough time between connections?

Laura x
Presumably the Underground leg would have to be part of a through ticket, otherwise it would be the same as if a bus was late.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
416
Thank you my lovelies. It’s great to see so many different ways of thinking when I ask questions on here!

I think going forward I’ll just pass anyone. I just worry about getting into trouble if I don’t sell enough tickets or accept tickets from other TOCs. I guess if I ever get asked, then I have a good reason for helping other people.

Laura x
It’s great to know that staff are doing their best to help passengers, despite a crazy and complex system, and despite (no doubt in some instances) senior managers getting in the way of them doing so.

But two things, if you’re worried. 1. I assume you’re not using your real name here. That’s very sensible. 2 I also assume you’re an RMT member. That’s the best protection from troublesome managers. You can use that security that provides to use your own powers of discretion to help passengers as much as you can. That’s how a lot of guards I know see it.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
Is there any mechanism behind the scenes whereby LNER get paid for carrying the passenger even if the passenger doesn’t buy a new ticket?
Not without formally agreed ticket acceptance.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I also assume you’re an RMT member. That’s the best protection from troublesome managers. You can use that security that provides to use your own powers of discretion to help passengers as much as you can.
Unions can't keep people in jobs if procedures for managing them out are followed correctly.
 

Coolzac

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2014
Messages
359
Nobody is saying LNER/GBR shouldn't be reimbursed by GC for carrying affected passengers. Just that passengers shouldn't be inconvenienced through petty arguments about who to contact to vindicate their legal rights.
Fair point! I absolutely agree that it's not the passengers who should suffer.

Though as someone who has just commented has pointed out, I don't think LNER get reimbursed if there isn't formal ticket acceptance.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
416
Unions can't keep people in jobs if procedures for managing them out are followed correctly.
It really depends on what we’re talking about, doesn’t it? An employee giving reasonable discretion shouldn’t be reprimanded, but it could happen, and you better not be alone if it does.
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
Came back from Sunderland the morning after last years Springsteen gig, Grand Central cancelled, no GC staff to hand at the station, Northern staff acknowledged my PRO rights but said no ticket acceptance. Faced with the prospect of having to pay for a new LNER ticket and then potentially suing GC for the cost I chose to wait the two hours and claim the delay repay.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
An employee giving reasonable discretion shouldn’t be reprimanded, but it could happen, and you better not be alone if it does.
I agree, but I'm not sure the comment of "going forward I’ll just pass anyone" would be seen as reasonable. And unions will ensure the process is followed and seek the best outcome for their member but that often doesn't avoid dismissal.
 

azOOOOOma

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2023
Messages
303
Location
Durham
Slightly concerning to me that the OP appears to be a member of staff who hasn’t had sufficient training to know the answer to a common situation and is using this public forum for advice.

Is there any mechanism behind the scenes whereby LNER get paid for carrying the passenger even if the passenger doesn’t buy a new ticket?

Which part, exactly, didn’t I know the answer to and didn’t I do correctly? Under PRO the company causing the delay was meant to arrange rerouting. They didn’t, and thus I rerouted the customer in question free of charge.

How do other TOCs train their staff when it comes to allowing displaced customers from an open access competitor to travel on their own services without any reimbursement for the TOC?

It seems that in the circumstances I did do the right thing but was merely seeking clarification from the (usually) helpful members on this forum.

Laura x


== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I agree, but I'm not sure the comment of "going forward I’ll just pass anyone" would be seen as reasonable. And unions will ensure the process is followed and seek the best outcome for their member but that often doesn't avoid dismissal.

When I say ‘pass anyone’ I mean in the context of a similar situation to the one I faced with this gentleman in question.

Laura x
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
When I say ‘pass anyone’ I mean in the context of a similar situation to the one I faced with this gentleman in question.
I was hoping that was how I understood your comment. As stated, there are tools like RealTimeTrains to confirm they were genuinely delayed and no-one should object to you confirming the details. Chancers should deservedly get charged.
 

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
416
I was hoping that was how I understood your comment. As stated, there are tools like RealTimeTrains to confirm they were genuinely delayed and no-one should object to you confirming the details. Chancers should deservedly get charged.
But surely that always applies to all passengers travelling on a train they are not booked on? I think a guard would know to check such things, and how to do it, and that's assuming they weren't already aware of disruptions to service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top