• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missed connection but not in a single itinerary

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsl11913

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
Hello,

I booked two tickets separately due to a change to the plan. Both are Advance single.
(07/05/2026)
1747-1901 Hull to York
1911-2102 York to Kings X (1st)

Then today 1747 was delayed and eventually curtailed at Selby. So I had to take a later train (1927 from Selby) arriving at York at 2001.

The Northern social team says I can use the next LNER train, and the ticket office staff said the same at York. So I am currently sitting in 2018 York-KingsX 1st class waiting to be challenged by the guard

So what should I do re delay repay? I will need to do that from Northern but will that only cover the first leg or the both legs? Given I booked tickets separately.

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
You can claim for the whole journey from Hull to Kings Cross.

The claim should be submitted to Northern as they caused the delay.

There is no requirement to purchase the tickets in one transaction, although it is often advisable to do so as a slot ticketing site like the forum’s will ensure that minimum interchange times are met. In this case the minimum interchange time at York is 8 minutes and your journey complied with that.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
Hello,

I booked two tickets separately due to a change to the plan. Both are Advance single.
(07/05/2026)
1747-1901 Hull to York
1911-2102 York to Kings X (1st)

Then today 1747 was delayed and eventually curtailed at Selby. So I had to take a later train (1927 from Selby) arriving at York at 2001.

The Northern social team says I can use the next LNER train, and the ticket office staff said the same at York. So I am currently sitting in 2018 York-KingsX 1st class waiting to be challenged by the guard

So what should I do re delay repay? I will need to do that from Northern but will that only cover the first leg or the both legs? Given I booked tickets separately.

Thanks!
The minimum connection time at York is eight minutes. You have left ten minutes, surpassing this, so you are covered to your final destination of King's Cross. Apply for delay repay for the full journey from Northern, uploading screenshots of both tickets, and giving the ticket numbers and prices when required.
 

zsl11913

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
You can claim for the whole journey from Hull to Kings Cross.

The claim should be submitted to Northern as they caused the delay.

There is no requirement to purchase the tickets in one transaction, although it is often advisable to do so as a slot ticketing site like the forum’s will ensure that minimum interchange times are met. In this case the minimum interchange time at York is 8 minutes and your journey complied with that.
Thank you!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The minimum connection time at York is eight minutes. You have left ten minutes, surpassing this, so you are covered to your final destination of King's Cross. Apply for delay repay for the full journey from Northern, uploading screenshots of both tickets, and giving the ticket numbers and prices when required.
Thanks very much!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,533
Location
LBK
When they inevitably decline your claim, you can appeal it, and further, you can take it to the Rail Ombudsman after 40 days (or otherwise if you get a deadlock letter). Northern's delay repay functionality is horrific.
 

zsl11913

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
When they inevitably decline your claim, you can appeal it, and further, you can take it to the Rail Ombudsman after 40 days (or otherwise if you get a deadlock letter). Northern's delay repay functionality is horrific.
Will prepare myself for the first deadlock letter... Thank you!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Buying the tickets separately does not negate your right to Delay Repay compensation, nor to be conveyed on later services as appropriate (usually with the same operator, but without that restriction if you'd otherwise be stranded or if given permission to take an alternative)

However, I do still recommend buying such tickets as one journey in future; the forum's site will be happy to issue that, and we also offer a seat selector.

Buying as one journey will give you clear evidence of the overall contract from Hull to London, which no Guard could possibly argue with (some Guards may argue - wrongly - that it is two journeys otherwise).

Also, if you had bought it as one journey from the forum ticketing site, and you get grief and need to be supported, we would help in any way we reasonably could.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top