• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum service levels for passenger rail during strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
Can someone explain how you would get 25% service to work in a PSB / IECC / ROC?

that’s what happens now on strike days in many places. But first you need to define what 25% service means, hence my earlier question. Is it:

25% of the normal service on all routes all day
100% of the service on 25% of the routes, all day
50% of the service on all routes for 50% of the day
50% of the service on 50% of the routes all day

or some other combination.

Then I can tell you how it works.
 
Last edited:

Class 317

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2020
Messages
571
Location
Cotswolds
A minimum service level still leads to substantially reduced revenue which maintains the leverage withdrawing labour provided but protects access for essential uses.

I'vee experienced minimum service levels when living and working in Italy and they have implemented it as a reduced service level on most routes between 06:00 -09:00 and 18:00 - 21:00. All Trains completed thier journeys by the end of this period.

Nothing in the proposed UK legislation states a minimum number of staff required to work a MSL. I spoke to a driver in Italy as I could not understand how the MSL works and he said that the basic MSL requires a higher number of staff than you would expect to work short 3 hour shifts but nothing in excess.

In terms of IECC etc I would assume for the MSL decided upon they would require all work stations to be covered. whenever the MSL is operable eg 07:00 to 19:00.

One thing that is not clear to me or I may have missed it is would a MSL essentially cap the maximum number of trains that could run which would seem to be necessary to protect the right to strike?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
A minimum service level still leads to substantially reduced revenue which maintains the leverage withdrawing labour provided but protects access for essential uses.

I'vee experienced minimum service levels when living and working in Italy and they have implemented it as a reduced service level on most routes between 06:00 -09:00 and 18:00 - 21:00. All Trains completed thier journeys by the end of this period.

Nothing in the proposed UK legislation states a minimum number of staff required to work a MSL. I spoke to a driver in Italy as I could not understand how the MSL works and he said that the basic MSL requires a higher number of staff than you would expect to work short 3 hour shifts but nothing in excess.

In terms of IECC etc I would assume for the MSL decided upon they would require all work stations to be covered. whenever the MSL is operable eg 07:00 to 19:00.

One thing that is not clear to me or I may have missed it is would a MSL essentially cap the maximum number of trains that could run which would seem to be necessary to protect the right to strike?
This is exactly the sort of way that I'd expect a MSL to work if (as I'd favour) it guaranteed peak trains on most, if not all, lines.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
I can't!
This is the exact reason that it isn't going to work in the signalling world.
Lord only knows how it would work on the maintenance world lol.... Routine maintenance wouldn't matter but emergency response?
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,019
Location
Yellabelly Country
Lord only knows how it would work on the maintenance world lol.... Routine maintenance wouldn't matter but emergency response?
Management have already helped solve that by cutting maintenance work. So now they only need a smaller reduction to comply.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
Lord only knows how it would work on the maintenance world lol.... Routine maintenance wouldn't matter but emergency response?

It’s fairly obvious! Same as signalling. If the line is open - you’re in !
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,626
Location
Isle of Man
I’m a bit surprised there has been no comment on what type of minimum service people are favouring, or example whether:

1) the whole network or some part of it (eg principal routes only)
2) open 24/7, or the ‘passenger day’, or perhaps a 12 hr day (as now in strikes)
3) a normal or reduced level service on what is open.

I get the distinct impression the politicians leading this initiative haven't given this very much consideration either.

I think any minimum service has to be a regular service on core routes, with the extremities of a network not served. Anything else makes no sense. For Intercity TOCs an hourly service (e.g. hourly London-Cardiff, London-Bristol, London-Plymouth, London-Leeds, London-Edinburgh, etc etc).

And in strike periods now we usually get something approaching that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top