Thats a 25% increase in price because some jakeys cant behave themselves. Not very fair that is it?
There would be outrage if that was placed on a pasty
The fuss over the pasty tax was stupid, but I get your point.
Personally, I am not too bothered as I don't drink that much at home. Buying loads of beers (for a single can or two, I could live with 25p more) would likely be for a party only. I guess I'll moan when I can no longer see any cheap multipacks!
Otherwise, I mostly drink when out and prices are so much higher that the minimums won't make any difference at all. The pub/restaurant industry must actually really like this increase as it reduces the difference in price and might just encourage more people to go out sooner, rather than preload.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The root cause is not the price of the alcohol.
I do agree with that. It won't stop problems in pubs, given what I said above - the minimum price won't affect the retail price of drink there.
It might stop kids getting the cheap beer and cider to drink in the park, or reduce the amount of consumption in the home.
We do have a cultural problem to deal with, but that takes successive generations and we're not actually breeding a generation that will improve as they're being brought up by the very people that probably think the mission in life is to get as wasted as possible.
Being seriously drunk (as in being unable to look after yourself) should be socially unacceptable and not a mission to measure how good a night out was.
One thing I did hear on the radio yesterday was talk about how some brewers are now able to reduce the strength, without affecting the flavour, of many drinks. I would actually be happy to drink weaker alcoholic drinks if they didn't taste awful - and that would help those who still feel obliged to drink too fast!