• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes to Grimsby Sunday - Dining en route

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
I'm making this journey on Sunday, it's between two stations I regularly travel between, but via a route I've not used before. As I'm travelling over tea-time, I'm keen to find somewhere to eat.

Departing MKC at 16:37, the tickets I have mean that I must travel via Tamworth and on a train stopping at Derby. I might not have very long to put together a picnic before travelling, and I don't fancy waiting until the 19:37 train to set off, as I don't get home then until after midnight.

I know MKC, and I have been to Sheffield a few times. I don't know Tamworth and the only time I've ever been to Derby was a few years ago to leave the building for a cigarette while changing trains en route to somewhere else.

Will there be any food-buying opportunities to be had during the 20 mins I am at Tamworth? Is there any mileage to be had in getting off the train at Derby to hunt for something to eat, or do I wait for Burger King at Sheffield (which is not the greatest option, and if I'm some time in Sheffield I'd rather just visit the Tap).

Or will it be trolley time on Crosscountry - I'm on that for an hour? There's nothing to be had on either London Midland or Transpennine, though.

Any suggestions, I don't mind breaking my journey for an hour and setting off an hour later - I'm happy to arrive at Grimsby around 11pm, just rather not 12.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
I don't recall there being much in the way of shops close to Tamworth or Derby stations

I have the vaguest of vague recollections of somewhere very narrow in the wall of the station, just outside the entrance of Tamworth (or it might have been Northampton). Nothing more than a kiosk, though.

Are there any buffets of the Pumpkin ilk on either? I've got a BITE card if those are still of any use.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,891
Location
Lancashire
There was a kiosk just outside Tamworth station but sadly that's gone now and a cafe express ( same as Warrington Bank Quay) is on the station concourse but I think it closes around 6-7pm
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Burger King Sheffield is what I have to do.
I traveled via and to Derby alot. The station is like 15mins from the town centre, and since the Eagle Centre became Westfields the price of meals has skyrocketed. There's a station Pumpkin and nothing else.

The trip would be easier had the Nottingham to Milton trains not been cut.
Tamworth has a castle, never been to it's station, but the football stadium is poor quality so I doubt there's many food outlets.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
From what I can remember about Tamworth is that the station is a good 10+ minute walk from the station and didn't really feature any "grab & go" places.

Only thing I would suggest is to try and grab something around Milton Keynes if at all possible
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Yep. Absolutely nothing at Tamworth (except maybe a vending machine), and nowhere you could realistically reach in 20 minutes.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
If you have a seat reserved on the XC train and £8 to spare why not pre-order one of their served at your seat hot meals?
 

blue87

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
136
If I remember right there's a Domino's Pizza or similar place just over road from Tamworth station, may be worth Googling their number and phone to order so u can pick it up when u get there.
 
Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,344
Tamworth, Derby & Sheffield stations are all longish walks from the main shopping areas, and especially on Sundays, there will not be a lot open at the time you are travelling. If your ticket permits, Doncaster might be a better place to break your journey - closer to the shopping area - but you will need a "local" from that area to say what food outlets are available on a Sunday evening.

If it were me, I would probably use something like sausage rolls or pies bought on the Saturday - most of these will keep in good condition for a couple of days, even without a fridge.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
If you have a seat reserved on the XC train and £8 to spare why not pre-order one of their served at your seat hot meals?

That would do it, probably. Is it any good? Is an hour long enough? I presume they'll microwave it on departing Tamworth and then bring it round?

What happens in the unlikely event that there's a reservation problem and I can't sit down, the train's rammed to the gunwhales and they can't get through or it's cancelled? Do I get a refund?

Alternatively, departure from Bletchley (the actual origin of my ticket) 15 mins earlier gives me an opportunity to change at Northampton and I can give myself a 17 minute change at Northampton. I've not been there since it was redeveloped, is there likely to be anything "on-station" that I could grab?
 
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
That would do it, probably. Is it any good? Is an hour long enough? I presume they'll microwave it on departing Tamworth and then bring it round?

What happens in the unlikely event that there's a reservation problem and I can't sit down, the train's rammed to the gunwhales and they can't get through or it's cancelled? Do I get a refund?

Alternatively, departure from Bletchley (the actual origin of my ticket) 15 mins earlier gives me an opportunity to change at Northampton and I can give myself a 17 minute change at Northampton. I've not been there since it was redeveloped, is there likely to be anything "on-station" that I could grab?

The beauty of it is, you don't have to pay up front, only when the attendant serves it to you, the quality is pretty good having previously tried the roast chicken, salmon and the full English breakfast which I think is available all day currently, sorry I can't provide a link but if you go to The XC Trains website and click on food & drink you will find the full menu and ordering form, they will serve it at the exact time you request, it's worked perfectly everytime for me so far, couple of pics below,
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Alternatively, departure from Bletchley (the actual origin of my ticket) 15 mins earlier gives me an opportunity to change at Northampton and I can give myself a 17 minute change at Northampton. I've not been there since it was redeveloped, is there likely to be anything "on-station" that I could grab?

Don't know about NMP, but if departing earlier is an option do so and pop out at MKC to M&S Simply Food, left out of the station then on your left.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Don't know about NMP, but if departing earlier is an option do so and pop out at MKC to M&S Simply Food, left out of the station then on your left.

I have a feeling that Simply Food might yet prove to be my saviour. Although I'm tempted by these cooked Crosscountry meals.

When I was thinking of MKC, I was thinking about Subway and the Convenience Store on the side of the square. Never turned left out of there...
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,942
Location
Fenny Stratford
I do all these journeys on a regular basis. There is nowt at Tamworth but there is a Dominos nearby. Derby is a bit isolated from the town but there are some fish shops and take aways over the road. There isn't much near Northampton either. I wouldn't rely on getting anything of XC either at that time of a Sunday

Stock up at M&S at MKC
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The trip would be easier had the Nottingham to Milton trains not been cut.

Nottingham - Milton trains??????????
 
Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
My older brother used it for work around about 15 years ago.
I think it ran via Leicester and Coventry. But they were cut soon afterwards.
Don't know if it was Central or Cross Country.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
My older brother used it for work around about 15 years ago.
I think it ran via Leicester and Coventry. But they were cut soon afterwards.
Don't know if it was Central or Cross Country.

There was an hourly (CT) Nottingham-Coventry prior to the present service pattern, but I can't see how it would have gone through to MKC
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
i dont think it came through to MK

I did once see something written somewhere (can't remember where) about one journey extending to or from Northampton. But I'm still not sure if it was actually true, and never seen a timetable with it in.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
There were a couple of Central DMU workings from Northampton in the morning, the destination varied, sometimes Shrewsbury, sometimes east towards Leicester and beyond.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Find a supermarket and stock up on sensibly priced supplies in advance of the journey. Failing that, wait until Sheffield and, depending on your connection time, grab a pint then dash into BK afterwards. If you're anything like me, you'll find BK more filling and longer lasting than anything for the same money in M&S Simply Food.

Have a good journey either way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top