• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes - Kendal Return + a Rover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I am off to Kendal on Friday 31st Jan to meet some friends for the weekend returning on Sunday 2nd Feb. Due to a break down in communication up no tickets have been booked for me so I need some help in getting a cheaper fare.

The best I can come up with is a single to Manchester then a single to Preston then a single to Kendal. The return is pretty similar and quite expensive. There are also bus replacement services :(

To throw a spanner in the works I am considering a rail rover ticket form Manchester to fill in the day. My knowledge of these tickets is rusty and I would appreciate some advice.

Can anyone offer me some guidance? Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Do you have a target price in mind? I assume that you would like to avoid LM?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,971
Location
Airedale
A Lancs Day Ranger would cover you from Manchester to Carnforth, thence you could use the 555 bus which stops nearby. £21.

There's a very reasonable train and tram TfGM ticket, £7.50 IIRC.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
The cheapest Advances from Milton Keynes to Manchester on Friday 31st would be £21.50/£26.50 on the 0646/0950 arriving at 0828/1128. You could combine that with an £8.25/£9 Advance on to Kendal in the TPE sale as already suggested on the 0946/1146.

Coming back on Sunday 2nd, a Kendal-Manchester Advance in the TPE sale would be £6.75 on the 1315 arriving at 1528. You could combine that with a £26.50 Advance on the 1615 to MKC.

Total would be from £63.

Alternatively, Trainscanbecheaper suggests a £24 Super Offpeak Return (LM only) from MKC to Liverpool, and then a £30 Offpeak Return from Liverpool to Kendal. Total £54. But that seems likely to involve a somewhat longer journey time. Outward travel from MKC would have to be on the 1219, 1319, 1419 or 1956.

There are still cheap Advances between MKC and Crewe (£12 or a bit less each way), but it's not easy to find ways of then doing Crewe-Kendal-Crewe for much under £45 at times that connect with the cheap Advances to/from Crewe.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Thanks for the help.

I have booked the cheap advance to Manchester then I will get a Lancashire Rover and potter about (any suggestion? ;) ) before making my way to Penrith at c.19:00 where i will get picked up!

Coming back is proving very difficult! I will wait until the trains start again from Penrith c.16:00 on Sunday and try and finagle my way home! Looks like a standard ticket or a number of singles
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Are you after a multi-day Rover product, or a Day Ranger product for just one day?
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,741
Location
Yorkshire
I think i would only get value out of a 1 day rover mainly due to the fact the WCML is closed most of Saturday and Sunday

I think Yorkie's getting at the fact that (apart from the West Yorkshire Day Rover which irritates some people enormously) day tickets are called Rangers.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I think Yorkie's getting at the fact that (apart from the West Yorkshire Day Rover which irritates some people enormously) day tickets are called Rangers.

Can you not range about on a rover or rove about on a ranger? ;)

(I had not picked up on that fact!)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Can you not range about on a rover or rove about on a ranger? ;)
True!:lol: The names don't really make a lot of sense.

I would suggest the Lancashire Day Ranger, and going via Hebden Bridge gives you a couple of routes over the Pennines. I'd also consider the line via Darwen, as that's quite rural.

I have gone to Colne and then got a bus to Skipton before, but I don't think there's a Day Ranger to cover that (only multi-day Rovers). In 2005 that bus route was still operated by a Leyland National!
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,741
Location
Yorkshire
True!:lol: The names don't really make a lot of sense.

I would suggest the Lancashire Day Ranger, and going via Hebden Bridge gives you a couple of routes over the Pennines. I'd also consider the line via Darwen, as that's quite rural.

I have gone to Colne and then got a bus to Skipton before, but I don't think there's a Day Ranger to cover that (only multi-day Rovers). In 2005 that bus route was still operated by a Leyland National!

There certainly used to be...

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/special_offers/dayrangers/dayrangers_eastlancashire_2010.pdf

Think that's been withdrawn now :(

Don't think there's any multiday tickets that let you do it either now. Be happy to be proven wrong though.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prac5207d917477888a8290cdc5118d2.aspx
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top