• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Military tension in Portugal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,314
Location
Valongo - Portugal
Good Evening everyone!

I'm going through a bit of a frightening situation right now here in Portugal.
The Portuguese Military and Police forces have gathered in great number at the capital in protest against next year's government plan and things are looking really tense right now.

In the last two weeks I've been watching an increasing number of military men and equipment hanging around in the streets, a very uncommon sight over here, and it looks like the police has been patrolling far more often than usual. I also have seen the civil guards in places where normally the police is on duty, specially in my home town that is police exclusive.

Could these be movements preceding a coup d'état? I'm feeling really unconfortable right now...


ng2888768.JPG

Courtesy of JN

This was the situation more than na hour ago.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,314
Location
Valongo - Portugal
I wasn't thinking about a near dictatorship situation, but that the unrest would turn into a rebellion. The worst that could happen right now would be a fight between the police force in charge of the parliament security and the police man in protest. This kind of unrest increased over the past months between the police and the government.

What I fear the most is the government to fall and a technocracy to be implemented. Not that it would be bad in political terms, but it would be a major catastrophe after some years of hard work trying to stabilize the economy and regain confidence in the market.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
There has been a query as whether Portugal would have to apply for a second EU financial bailout in the very near future, which will do nothing to lessen any fears of the end of hopes regarding a financial relaxation in Portugal.

It must be a very worrying time for you at present.
 
Last edited:

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,314
Location
Valongo - Portugal
I'm not sure about that fowler. It's too risky to move abroad without an idea of were to live and were to work when you're on the beginning of your adulthood and all you do by that time is study, while your parents pretty much fund all the expenses. It's a tough situation.

Well, I'm saying this because I wanted to live abroad way before the country had problems. I would say I'd move abroad regardless of how my country is, since it always has been a dream of mine: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93000

One thing is for sure. I won't leave the country because it is looking bad. I just feel bad for my parents and family that have to deal with this situation while they pay for my studies at college and try to keep me from leaving the country. Anyway, we can't deny that my college is showing signs of the underinvestment it has been victim of with all this austerity issue. Long are the days we actually had toilet paper in the bathrooms. They almost feel like public bathrooms with good looks...
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I'm not sure about that fowler. It's too risky to move abroad without an idea of were to live and were to work when you're on the beginning of your adulthood and all you do by that time is study, while your parents pretty much fund all the expenses. It's a tough situation.

Well, I'm saying this because I wanted to live abroad way before the country had problems. I would say I'd move abroad regardless of how my country is, since it always has been a dream of mine: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93000

One thing is for sure. I won't leave the country because it is looking bad. I just feel bad for my parents and family that have to deal with this situation while they pay for my studies at college and try to keep me from leaving the country. Anyway, we can't deny that my college is showing signs of the underinvestment it has been victim of with all this austerity issue. Long are the days we actually had toilet paper in the bathrooms. They almost feel like public bathrooms with good looks...

I hope things get better for you mate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top