jnjkerbin
Member
Hi all 
Yesterday I went on a bit of a trip around the south west, and I thought I would post here, in case anyone is interested.
I woke up at 0535 in order to catch the 0639 train. Last time I went on a big trip I got the 0709, and the time before, the 0739, so in two trips time I should, using that logic, end up on the first train of the day, at 0539
. Anyway, today it would be worth it, as I would be going on a 400+ mile trip around the south west. I got to the station with plenty of time to spare, to get the train to Orpington, which was formed of 465186. The journey to Orpington takes 11 minutes to cover the seven miles and we run on time throughout. At Orpington I get out, along with a few others, to head via the subway to platform 2, for the 0654 fast train to London. It is formed of 375714, which is good! I quite like the 375s (except the /9s with their nasty seats compared to the rest of the class), mainly because they're reasonably quiet and comfortable, as well as having properly lined up windows and normally quite good air-con. The train was surprisingly busy for 0654 in the morning and we have a good run throughout, only being held up a little bit around the Bricklayers Arms area. London Bridge is changin by the week and we (somewhat unusually) arrive at Charing Cross bang on time. I walk quickly down to the Bakerloo line, and there is already a train in the platform and off we go. The journey to Paddington took just 12 minutes, helped by the fact we didn't stop at Edgware Road. I make my way up through a quite busy tube station to Paddington mainline, where the sleeper stock is in platform 1, with 57603 against the buffers. I take a picture, but because it's quite dark inside, it doesn't come off very well so I won't bother to post it. My train has not yet been advertised with a platform, and I head into the ticket office to buy a Heart of Wessex ranger for later. It costs only £4.65 with my 16-25 railcard and a £7.90 Voucher from East Coast after a delay last year. While I queue my train is advertised as leaving from platform 8, so after getting my ticket I head to my train where 43143 is up against the buffers. I don't see what is on the front, but a bit of research shows it may have been 43069, in which case, this is my second time behind it, the last having been just in April, heading down to Taunton via Melksham, during the Reading diversions.
We departed on time at 0800, and I have two seats to myself. The train is generally pretty quiet and we have a clear run all the way. 66738 is sat with an empty train at Royal Oak, and then we pass 57602 on the West End of the sleeper heading down the flyover into the depot. 66121, 66092 and 66021 are all seen before Reading, where we leave on time before passing 66005, 66204 and 66124 near Didcot and it's lifeless power station. The whole journey is pretty unremarkable, and the first new line of today is between Chippenham and Bath, completing the Chippenham - Bath-Trowbridge triangle. We are delayed a few minutes outside Bristol but arrive 4 minutes early at 0935. It's been a good day so far and my next new line is coming up with the line to Avonmouth. It would have been nice to have done it all the way to Severn Beach but I couldn't fit it in. I get a few snaps at Bristol
I make my way to platform 1 where a Class 150 is leaving on a train to Gloucester. 150202 arrives from Avonmouth arrives at about 1045, but the traincrew lock up the train and walk off. About 10 minutes later a new driver and guard arrive and open up the train, and I board the front coach and we set off. It's an ex-London Midland set, because of the nasty low seats which look uncomfortable but once you've been sitting in them for 20 minutes actually aren't too bad. We leave on time and run down he Avonmouth branch. The guard seems very attentive to collecting tickets and we stop at all stations except Lawrence Hill. Montpelier looks quite old but is covered in graffiti - is it meant to be like that? The line beyond Clifton is surprisingly scenic and we reach Avonmouth on time, where I hop off for a quick shot of our train.
I reboard the train and we head back to Bristol, this time calling at Lawrence Hill, with the guard once again checking and selling tickets. Someone asks tfor a ticket for Leeds, and you have to feel a little sorry they couldn't/didn't buy it in advance. Arrival into Bristol is 5 minutes early at 1105 and I make my way over to platform 8 to wait for my next train, the 1122 to Westbury. I took a few more pictures of the comings and goings at the station before 158960 arrives from Cardiff.
The train is busy, but again I get two seats to myself for the run to Westbury. We leave on time and have a scenic run through the Avon valley to Westbury. A lady gets on at Bradford to take any rubbish - a good idea seeing as the total journey time for this train is 3 and a half hours. We arrive into Westbury 2 minutes early at 1259 and I have a wait until 1237 for the service to Weymouth. I get a few more shots of trains in the yard.
My idea of being a bit artistic
:
Eventually 150248 arrives, and I get on, again getting a seat. We leave 2 minutes late and stop at Frome, where the platform is quite busy, but fortunately they're all waiting for the train going the other way which is running a little late. Fortunately it passes us at Bruton and we get on to the Yeovil Branch without difficulty. The run down to Yeovil and beyond was quite fun, with the train going quite fast, it seems, for such a short train. We stop at all 3 request stops and eventually get to Weymouth, still two minutes late.
My next service is the 1503 to Waterloo, so I decided to go for a walk around town. I walk down to the seafront, and then by the harbour, and notice the rails of the tramway are still in place, and not blocked up. I arrive back at the station at 1445 and take a couple of photos before boarding 444042 for the run back to London.
I sat down in the small bit of standard class immediately behind first, and we leave on time. It's a shame how much the journey time has slowed down in recent years. I think it's a little silly stopping at Parkstone and Branksome, and the 5 minutes stop at Bournemouth is a little annoying, especially when we're not joining another train. We lose a minute around Winchester and never get it back, arriving in at Waterloo 1 minutes late. During the journey, I see (among others) 70006, 66594 and 66687 at Southampton and 60049 with a train of cars and 66087 at Eastleigh.
From Waterloo, I get the 1409 back home.
All in all, a great day out and very good value. The tickets used were (16-25 RC):
Advance: Dunton Green - Swindon £6.50
Heart of Wessex Ranger : £12.55
Advance Weymouth - Waterloo £9.25
Off P Day S London - Dunton Green £6.45
Total : £34.75
Mileage: 410m49ch
Thanks for reading!
Joe

Yesterday I went on a bit of a trip around the south west, and I thought I would post here, in case anyone is interested.
I woke up at 0535 in order to catch the 0639 train. Last time I went on a big trip I got the 0709, and the time before, the 0739, so in two trips time I should, using that logic, end up on the first train of the day, at 0539
We departed on time at 0800, and I have two seats to myself. The train is generally pretty quiet and we have a clear run all the way. 66738 is sat with an empty train at Royal Oak, and then we pass 57602 on the West End of the sleeper heading down the flyover into the depot. 66121, 66092 and 66021 are all seen before Reading, where we leave on time before passing 66005, 66204 and 66124 near Didcot and it's lifeless power station. The whole journey is pretty unremarkable, and the first new line of today is between Chippenham and Bath, completing the Chippenham - Bath-Trowbridge triangle. We are delayed a few minutes outside Bristol but arrive 4 minutes early at 0935. It's been a good day so far and my next new line is coming up with the line to Avonmouth. It would have been nice to have done it all the way to Severn Beach but I couldn't fit it in. I get a few snaps at Bristol
I make my way to platform 1 where a Class 150 is leaving on a train to Gloucester. 150202 arrives from Avonmouth arrives at about 1045, but the traincrew lock up the train and walk off. About 10 minutes later a new driver and guard arrive and open up the train, and I board the front coach and we set off. It's an ex-London Midland set, because of the nasty low seats which look uncomfortable but once you've been sitting in them for 20 minutes actually aren't too bad. We leave on time and run down he Avonmouth branch. The guard seems very attentive to collecting tickets and we stop at all stations except Lawrence Hill. Montpelier looks quite old but is covered in graffiti - is it meant to be like that? The line beyond Clifton is surprisingly scenic and we reach Avonmouth on time, where I hop off for a quick shot of our train.
I reboard the train and we head back to Bristol, this time calling at Lawrence Hill, with the guard once again checking and selling tickets. Someone asks tfor a ticket for Leeds, and you have to feel a little sorry they couldn't/didn't buy it in advance. Arrival into Bristol is 5 minutes early at 1105 and I make my way over to platform 8 to wait for my next train, the 1122 to Westbury. I took a few more pictures of the comings and goings at the station before 158960 arrives from Cardiff.
The train is busy, but again I get two seats to myself for the run to Westbury. We leave on time and have a scenic run through the Avon valley to Westbury. A lady gets on at Bradford to take any rubbish - a good idea seeing as the total journey time for this train is 3 and a half hours. We arrive into Westbury 2 minutes early at 1259 and I have a wait until 1237 for the service to Weymouth. I get a few more shots of trains in the yard.
My idea of being a bit artistic
Eventually 150248 arrives, and I get on, again getting a seat. We leave 2 minutes late and stop at Frome, where the platform is quite busy, but fortunately they're all waiting for the train going the other way which is running a little late. Fortunately it passes us at Bruton and we get on to the Yeovil Branch without difficulty. The run down to Yeovil and beyond was quite fun, with the train going quite fast, it seems, for such a short train. We stop at all 3 request stops and eventually get to Weymouth, still two minutes late.
My next service is the 1503 to Waterloo, so I decided to go for a walk around town. I walk down to the seafront, and then by the harbour, and notice the rails of the tramway are still in place, and not blocked up. I arrive back at the station at 1445 and take a couple of photos before boarding 444042 for the run back to London.
I sat down in the small bit of standard class immediately behind first, and we leave on time. It's a shame how much the journey time has slowed down in recent years. I think it's a little silly stopping at Parkstone and Branksome, and the 5 minutes stop at Bournemouth is a little annoying, especially when we're not joining another train. We lose a minute around Winchester and never get it back, arriving in at Waterloo 1 minutes late. During the journey, I see (among others) 70006, 66594 and 66687 at Southampton and 60049 with a train of cars and 66087 at Eastleigh.
From Waterloo, I get the 1409 back home.
All in all, a great day out and very good value. The tickets used were (16-25 RC):
Advance: Dunton Green - Swindon £6.50
Heart of Wessex Ranger : £12.55
Advance Weymouth - Waterloo £9.25
Off P Day S London - Dunton Green £6.45
Total : £34.75
Mileage: 410m49ch
Thanks for reading!
Joe
Last edited: