• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midlands and North - Rail Needs Assessment report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
I think it assumes that Sheffield trains stay on the MML the whole way. Something has to, otherwise Leicester is screwed. Which I know some people wouldn’t be too disappointed about.

Surely Leicester could be a destination in it’s own right with some trains still extending to Sheffield & Derby.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoRoute

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
504
Location
Midlands
I am feeling rather left out by this report in the Leicester area. While it is mentioned it seems very much sidelined compared with Derby and Nottìngham. But that is very much the general feeling you get from this forum as well.

Agree, the East Midlands extends a lot further South than the boundary within the report and includes not only Leicester but also Northampton which gets completely neglected. Yet on the West Midlands side, it considers improvements all the way down to Hereford and Worcester. The obvious issue it should have considered for Northampton and Leicester is the lack of North - South rail services, there's the M1 motorway which is the economic artery running down the East Midlands yet there's no rail services along that route south of Leicester, to Northampton and Milton Keynes.

On the positive side there's reports that DfT and Network Rail have been looking at the Northampton to Market Harborough route outside the NIC report, though whether anything will come of it...
 

Greybeard33

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2012
Messages
4,335
Location
Greater Manchester
I think it assumes that Sheffield trains stay on the MML the whole way. Something has to, otherwise Leicester is screwed. Which I know some people wouldn’t be too disappointed about.
Well, it shows a frequency increase between Sheffield and London from 2tph in the baseline to 3tph in the +25% package. So maybe the 104 minutes is an average, with 1tph on HS2 and 2tph remaining on the MML. Whereas at least 3 of the 4tph between Nottingham and London are assumed to be routed via HS2?

I suspect the current timings in the report are also averages, rather than the fastest service between each city pair.

It would have been helpful if the report had explained the methodology.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,706
Location
Nottingham
I am feeling rather left out by this report in the Leicester area. While it is mentioned it seems very much sidelined compared with Derby and Nottìngham. But that is very much the general feeling you get from this forum as well.
MML would still need something very similar to the existing service (at least south of Derby and Nottingham) to continue to serve Leicester.
 

Roast Veg

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2016
Messages
2,325
Given that nearly all EMR long-distance services to Derby are now (not including Covid changes) scheduled to continue to Sheffield which services did you have in mind?

Surely what would effectively be extra little local shuttles between Derby and Burton would just clutter up a route that is already bursting at the seams operationally?
I do mean a local service. In the event of absence or reduction in Cross Country services I fail to see why such a thing would not be possible, or indeed required. Whether it interworks or provides a through service to Matlock or Nottingham (or Crewe?) is implementation specifics.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Agree, the East Midlands extends a lot further South than the boundary within the report and includes not only Leicester but also Northampton which gets completely neglected. Yet on the West Midlands side, it considers improvements all the way down to Hereford and Worcester. The obvious issue it should have considered for Northampton and Leicester is the lack of North - South rail services, there's the M1 motorway which is the economic artery running down the East Midlands yet there's no rail services along that route south of Leicester, to Northampton and Milton Keynes.

On the positive side there's reports that DfT and Network Rail have been looking at the Northampton to Market Harborough route outside the NIC report, though whether anything will come of it...

Northampton is one of the big beneficiaries of Phase 1 released capacity, so hardly "neglected".
 

NoRoute

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
504
Location
Midlands
Northampton is one of the big beneficiaries of Phase 1 released capacity, so hardly "neglected".

Firstly it was neglected in the NIC report, which is the topic of this thread, because Northampton wasn't included or considered despite it being within the East Midlands region.

Secondly, the major problem with rail if you live in Northampton is that there are no rail services to most of your nearby towns and cities - you can't get to Wellingborough, Kettering or Corby, despite them being significant county towns just along the A45, or Leicester or Nottingham just along the M1, or Market Harborough, or Daventry.

Northampton already has fast rail services down to London and to Birmingham, these services are already good, so HS2 Phase 1 releasing extra capacity on the WCML while it may provide some marginal benefits to the travelers using those services to existing destinations, doesn't address the more significant problem for Northampton which is the lack of rail routes and services to most of its adjacent towns and cities.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,706
Location
Nottingham
I do mean a local service. In the event of absence or reduction in Cross Country services I fail to see why such a thing would not be possible, or indeed required. Whether it interworks or provides a through service to Matlock or Nottingham (or Crewe?) is implementation specifics.
With the fastest trains running via HS2 there is still a need for the present number of services on the Birmingham-Derby route to provide a reasonable service between those places. With them no longer needing to provide fast service between the largest cities, there would be scope for more calls at Burton.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,662
I wasn't convinced by any of the complete options in the report to be frank. I think we need to be looking at wiring Kettering to Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield and then onwards to Doncaster, Wakefield Westgate and also York via Ferrybridge. I would add Derby to New Street via both Tamworth and Lichfield routes and the link to the WCML at Lichfield. I would also consider Nottingham to Chesterfield and routes via Rotherham Central for add ons.

Transpennine between Manchester Stations and York via Huddersfield and Dewsbury. Leeds to Hull and ECML connections at Hambleton and Temple Hirst. Whether you would then add Huddersfield to York via Castleford and Normanton to Leeds at a later date I don't know.

As for the High Speed route I preferred the route via Bradford as shown in one of the options as well as the HS2 Stage 2B complete though whether the link to Sheffield is worth it now I'm not sure. How much of a saving is it from Toton to Sheffield compared to joining the MML at Chesterfield? I also wonder if a spur to Leeds is the right thing to do and that actually it would better to have an through Station at Leeds, though probably at the expense of being underground.
 
Joined
24 Jun 2014
Messages
442
Location
Derby
Oh they’ll stay, maybe on a lower frequency, back dup with more regional services. Remember Cross Country isn’t all about flows between the big cities, it isn’t even mostly about that. The typical cross country journey is a 20-50 mile town to city or town to town trip.

From what I'd read so far, I'd got the impression that the frequency would stay.

Is the typical Cross Country journey of 20-50 miles influenced by the inclusion of former Central services? I ask that because back in the 1990s BR's IC XC had the longest average distant journey of any IC sector.
 

HST43257

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
1,650
Location
York
Is there a speculative thread for this topic, or is it basically being done here?
 

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
Related to the report, but has there been any further information made available as to when the IRP will be published? And does anyone know of a link that documents the timetable for tabling phase 2b western branch legislation?
 

gjturner1

New Member
Joined
13 May 2019
Messages
1
I have been unable to find it but I am sure there was either an Atkins or Greengauge report call for a HS2 junction at Litchfield that would allow a London-Birmingham interchange-Derby-Chesterfield-Sheffield service.... Nottingham and Leicester gained with Notts Leicester London Fast service twice an hour direct to St Pancreas.

That would potentially leave scope and money for Notts Birmingham service via Stenson Junction....

I am convinced that the best option for Leeds is to go via Manchester Pic and onto London/Birmingham....
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,718
I have been unable to find it but I am sure there was either an Atkins or Greengauge report call for a HS2 junction at Litchfield that would allow a London-Birmingham interchange-Derby-Chesterfield-Sheffield service.... Nottingham and Leicester gained with Notts Leicester London Fast service twice an hour direct to St Pancreas.

That would potentially leave scope and money for Notts Birmingham service via Stenson Junction....

I am convinced that the best option for Leeds is to go via Manchester Pic and onto London/Birmingham....
The current plans still allow that, the eastern leg just needs to dump itself on the classic network near Kingsbury/Tamworth.
 
Joined
18 Oct 2017
Messages
215
I have been unable to find it but I am sure there was either an Atkins or Greengauge report call for a HS2 junction at Litchfield that would allow a London-Birmingham interchange-Derby-Chesterfield-Sheffield service.... Nottingham and Leicester gained with Notts Leicester London Fast service twice an hour direct to St Pancreas.

That would potentially leave scope and money for Notts Birmingham service via Stenson Junction....

I am convinced that the best option for Leeds is to go via Manchester Pic and onto London/Birmingham....

Litchfield...? That's a seriously long spur off HS2. Dam them spell checkers - I presume you meant Lichfield..! :) [/PEDANT]
 
Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Related to the report, but has there been any further information made available as to when the IRP will be published? And does anyone know of a link that documents the timetable for tabling phase 2b western branch legislation?

Was supposed to have been published in December
 

HST43257

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
1,650
Location
York
I am convinced that the best option for Leeds is to go via Manchester Pic and onto London/Birmingham....
On the whole I agree. HS2 eastern leg should eventually be built, but as a third phase (which comes after HS2 to Manchester is built and NPR as well).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have been unable to find it but I am sure there was either an Atkins or Greengauge report call for a HS2 junction at Litchfield that would allow a London-Birmingham interchange-Derby-Chesterfield-Sheffield service.... Nottingham and Leicester gained with Notts Leicester London Fast service twice an hour direct to St Pancras.
I’d agree with this too. If the XC route can be sped up that’d be great. It’d be good to have 1tph calling at Birmingham Int, Burton, Derby and Sheffield and the other calling at Birmingham Int, Derby, Cheyseriekd and Sheffield. This opens up possibilities for XC services between Leeds and Birmingham to be sped up. Eventually when the eastern leg comes along the journey could be sped up further.
 
Last edited:

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
No, the NIC report is advice to Governemnt, the IRP is the Government's plan, which will of course be informed by the NIC report.

Yes I understand that. I’m just wondering about the timings of reports. I.e. NIC report was what was due in December and has since been published, but the IRP report comes at a later date (unless that too was due in December and is now late).
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,907
0
Yes I understand that. I’m just wondering about the timings of reports. I.e. NIC report was what was due in December and has since been published, but the IRP report comes at a later date (unless that too was due in December and is now late).

The IRP was due by the end of the year, so must now be late. It won’t be far away though.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
I saw it reported that HS2 Ltd minutes from the start of December said it was going to be published before Christmas so that it was before the Parliamentary recess. It was also reported to be following close behind the rail needs assessment though that itself was a month or two late (was originally supposed to be October in time for the spending review which then got cancelled).
 

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
Ah I see now. I was clearly confused with the timing. No doubt it is emblematic of further delays across the whole project.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top