• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middlesbrough to Durham Bike Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack H

New Member
Joined
11 Jan 2018
Messages
2
Hi all

First time posting here so apologies if this is in the wrong forum or anything like that, feel free to move it if needs be.

It's likely that I will be commuting from Middlesbrough to Durham in the near future for work. I'm a morning person and the hours are flexible so I plan on catching the 6.50am train direct from Middlesbrough to Durham, gets me in at 7.42am. However, I'm also a keen cyclist and quite fancy riding home maybe a few times a week (25-30 miles route dependent). I was wondering if anyone could advise me how busy this train is likely to be? It sets off from Saltburn so will go through a couple of small stations on the way. It's a Northern service so no issues with booking the bike at all but space/capacity is potentially an issue for getting onto the train even though I'm hopefully missing the worst of the rush hour.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
In my experience that particular service is generally quiet. Even on the busiest services bikes generally manage to get on, even if the owner stands in the doorway with it. The most bikes I normally see are from people going to and from Eaglescliffe for the nearby industrial estate, but these are usually on the train after yours.
 

Jack H

New Member
Joined
11 Jan 2018
Messages
2
Thanks for that, I'll most likely get the train only for a while to get a feel for the commute and then judge whether or not the bike is a good idea. A separate but related question, any idea why there are direct services in the morning (saltburn to Newcastle via Durham) but not in the afternoon?
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Probably mainly due to paths, a 75mph unit on the ECML for 36 miles doesn't really fit in well. There are also no end of connecting services at Darlington, as well as the direct (but longer) trundle around the Durham Coast.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Probably mainly due to paths, a 75mph unit on the ECML for 36 miles doesn't really fit in well. There are also no end of connecting services at Darlington, as well as the direct (but longer) trundle around the Durham Coast.

Putting it the other way, the morning trains have been running for years and originally filled the gap before any longer distance services got going.

Isn't there going to be a Northern Connect service on that route in due course?
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Isn't there going to be a Northern Connect service on that route in due course?

I still don't think anything is set in stone yet. Originally it seemed the plan was to go via Stillington, then there has been talk here of it going via Darlington instead. I'd wager they will all go via the Durham Coast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top