• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 for sitting in First Class with a standard class ticket for 1 one stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Provided you cooperate when written to, apologise, promise not to do it again, and ask very nicely for an out of court settlement, it would be very unusual for GTR to prosecute you, although I suppose there may be a very slightly higher chance given you have had a few penalty fares (one of which was completely wrong anyway, as others have noted, from the information you have given us about it
No, absolutely I will cooperate and apologize, I fully admit my mistake, I have no doubt about it and I’m only hoping for a better outcome

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

They won’t bother searching cctv. They have no need to.

And your bad back is of no relevance it seems to
Me as you say there were empty seats in standard.

Not meaning to sound harsh but your focus should be on the apology and the request to settle out of court.

Have they written to you yet? If not wait until they do then get your draft checked here before replying
Yes, I’ll leave it and apologize and promise it won’t ever happen again

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The story is really implausible to me for a number of reasons.

1. Why pick a seat in first class? Acknowledging that you knew it was first class and it wasn’t an error on that point.

2. When approached by the ticket inspector, why offer to pay for a first class ticket rather than acknowledging your error and moving to a standard seat?

3. You say the ticket inspector said they had been observing you “for a while”, so you must have been sat in the seat for a while rather than what is made out to be a short period?

4. You refer to several other penalty notices yet still make the decision to take a seat in first class? It’s not like you’ve been warned before.

If it sounds unusual to me, it certainly will to the rail company.

This is one for begging for forgiveness, not excuses, and hoping they’re kind enough to offer a settlement. I’ve not seen your proposed reply but you can strip back everything and just apologise and say you’ve learnt your lesson.
I thought I need to pay for first class ticket? I had no idea I could just leave by saying sorry, even though I did say sorry to the inspector

Yes, the ticket inspector boarded the train at Potter’s Bar and I’ve sat in first class like 10-15 seconds before the train stopped at Potter’s Bar

I have no excuse at all and all I’ll beg them for is for an out of court settlement

The other things I’ve said so far is just to give some context and not to find excuses
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,357
Hav
No, absolutely I will cooperate and apologize, I fully admit my mistake, I have no doubt about it and I’m only hoping for a better outcome

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Yes, I’ll leave it and apologize and promise it won’t ever happen again

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I thought I need to pay for first class ticket? I had no idea I could just leave by saying sorry, even though I did say sorry to the inspector

Yes, the ticket inspector boarded the train at Potter’s Bar and I’ve sat in first class like 10-15 seconds before the train stopped at Potter’s Bar

I have no excuse at all and all I’ll beg them for is for an out of court settlement

The other things I’ve said so far is just to give some context and not to find excuses
have they written to you yet?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,357
Could be 6 weeks or so. When you get it see what it says and head here for advice on your draft reply before sending it off.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Your main focus now should be looking out for the reply. Likely hard copy post but check e mail and spam
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Just to clarify a few things.

GTR will almost certainly settle out of court if you co-operate with them. Although you have come to their attention before I doubt being issued with a Penalty Fare that has been settled is going to have too much of an adverse impact.

DO NOT make any further contact with GTR until you receive their letter. When their letter arrives post a redacted copy of it in this thread along with your draft reply and we can assist with proof reading it for you.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Just to clarify a few things.

GTR will almost certainly settle out of court if you co-operate with them. Although you have come to their attention before I doubt being issued with a Penalty Fare that has been settled is going to have too much of an adverse impact.

DO NOT make any further contact with GTR until you receive their letter. When their letter arrives post a redacted copy of it in this thread along with your draft reply and we can assist with proof reading it for you.
Thank you, I will do so
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Hello everyone,

I haven’t received the MG11 yet and it’s been over 6 weeks. Should I call somewhere? The address the inspector had for me was correct

Thanks in advance
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
Hello everyone,

I haven’t received the MG11 yet and it’s been over 6 weeks. Should I call somewhere? The address the inspector had for me was correct

Thanks in advance

As long as you are confident they had your address correctly then sit tight and wait. Until your case has been processed and put on their system an enquiry would not locate it.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Hello everyone,

It’s been 3 months and I haven’t received the MG11. I thought it’s 6 weeks usually from what I’ve been told here and what the station staff have said

Should I get in touch with someone from their department or send out a message to the general inquiries of the train’s website?

Thanks
 

htwestern

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2024
Messages
69
Location
Cardiff & WsM
Should I get in touch with someone from their department or send out a message to the general inquiries of the train’s website?
Absolutely not!

The train companies have 6 months from the issue date to process your charge, it’s not wise to remind them to do this before the time is up.

There is no penalty for not reminding the train company of your offence.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
As long as you gave the imnspector your correct contact address then there is nothing to be gained by contacting GTR.

The general customer services department will not be able to assist with this in any case.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
As long as you gave the imnspector your correct contact address then there is nothing to be gained by contacting GTR.

The general customer services department will not be able to assist with this in any case.
Absolutely not!

The train companies have 6 months from the issue date to process your charge, it’s not wise to remind them to do this before the time is up.

There is no penalty for not reminding the train company of your offence.
I see, I’ll leave it. I thought there was a mention of 6 weeks somewhere in this post
 

VT118

Member
Joined
12 May 2023
Messages
42
Location
England
If all the toilets were out of order then it's the train company in the wrong. How on earth can they not provide a single usable toilet on a commuter train?
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
If all the toilets were out of order then it's the train company in the wrong. How on earth can they not provide a single usable toilet on a commuter train?
The fact that all the toilets were out of order didn't compel or entitle the OP to sit in a First Class seat, so I very much doubt that it will be seen as mitigation.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
If all the toilets were out of order then it's the train company in the wrong. How on earth can they not provide a single usable toilet on a commuter train?
The toilet is not in first class so this is a complete non-sequitur.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
If all the toilets were out of order then it's the train company in the wrong. How on earth can they not provide a single usable toilet on a commuter train?
‍♂️ I thought there’s an issue on the whole train after I checked all 3 toilets. First class seemed odd to be a running service on this train while facilities weren’t fully working and just seemed like it’s a standard class train rather than anything else on top

Still, I know it was my mistake

I see mentions of the words ‘charge’ and ‘offence’ in a few posts. Do I need a solicitor for this?

I looked it up a bit and it looks like one of the ways it could end up is single justice which wouldn’t ultimately lead to a criminal record, fingers crossed
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,650
Location
LBK
I looked it up a bit and it looks like one of the ways it could end up is single justice which wouldn’t ultimately lead to a criminal record, fingers crossed
That’s not true, a single justice procedure is simply a way of prosecuting some crimes. A criminal record is a criminal record, but Bylaw offences are simply recorded usually at the court rather than on the Police National Computer. They’re spent after a year.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
That’s not true, a single justice procedure is simply a way of prosecuting some crimes. A criminal record is a criminal record, but Bylaw offences are simply recorded usually at the court rather than on the Police National Computer. They’re spent after a year.
I see, so then, no matter what, I’ll end up with a criminal record. I know one of the comments here was saying it is very unlikely to be prosecuted, but I’m preparing for the worse since it’s been so long and the MG11 isn’t here yet
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,911
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I see, so then, no matter what, I’ll end up with a criminal record. I know one of the comments here was saying it is very unlikely to be prosecuted, but I’m preparing for the worse since it’s been so long and the MG11 isn’t here yet

No - you'll end up with a criminal record if this is disposed of in court. However it's highly likely that if you behave sensibly this will be ultimately disposed of with an out of court settlement and no reason for it to go to court. But you need to continue waiting for now.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
No - you'll end up with a criminal record if this is disposed of in court. However it's highly likely that if you behave sensibly this will be ultimately disposed of with an out of court settlement and no reason for it to go to court. But you need to continue waiting for now.
I hope so
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,341
Location
Bolton
On some trains first class is exactly the same as standard class, except for the fact that it says first class on it. This is part of the reason why Southeastern and others abandoned offering any first class at all. However that's neither here nor there for the purpose of your case unfortunately. It's still necessary to hold a first class ticket.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Just to clear up a few things.

By travelling in 1st class without a valid ticket you've committed a criminal offence. GTR are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. Prosecutions for this sort of thing are normally done through what is called a Single Justice Procedure Notice. This means that if you plead guilty it is not necessary to attend court in person (unless you choose to do), you simply return the form to the court with any mitigation you want them to take into account and they will write to you with the details of the fine you have to pay.

If you are prosecuted and plead guilty (or are found guilty by the court) then you will have to pay:

- A fine based on your income, normally discounted by a third if you plead guilty at the earliest opportunity
- A surcharge of 40% of the value of the fine
- A contribution towards TfL's costs
- Compensation for the fares avoided

If you are found guilty then this is a criminal conviction. If you are prosecuted under the Railway Bylaws (which is what normally happens) then the conviction isn't normally recorded on the Police National Computer and won't normally appear on Basic DBS checks although we always advise people to be honest when asked if they have a conviction.

The good news is that GTR will normally offer an out of court settlement in cases like this as long as you co-operate with them and haven't come to their attention before. An out of court settlement basically means you pay them som emoney and in return they won't prosecute you. Paying a settlement will feel like paying a fine but technically it's not a fine - a fine can only be imposed by a court as a punishment upon conviction. You won't have a conviction if you pay a settlement.

The first part of the process is that GTR will write to you saying they have received a report, are considering prosecuting but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. The issue at hand is that you haven't yet received a letter from GTR. As long as you gave the inspector your correct contact details, it's not in your interests to chase up GTR - if they want to prosecute they must 'lay papers before the court' within six months of the date of the offence. It's possible they've forgotten about your case. On the other hand they might have sent a letter that's gone missing in the post - if this did happen court papers might follow but if thsi happened you'd normally be able to contact GTR and explain what had happened and be offered a settlelemt.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I see, so then, no matter what, I’ll end up with a criminal record. I know one of the comments here was saying it is very unlikely to be prosecuted, but I’m preparing for the worse since it’s been so long and the MG11 isn’t here yet
A conviction for a railway byelaw offence, whether processed in court, via SJP, or otherwise, is non-recordable and does not appear on DBS checks, unless the offender is convicted of a more serious offence at the same time.
 

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
A conviction for a railway byelaw offence, whether processed in court, via SJP, or otherwise, is non-recordable and does not appear on DBS checks, unless the offender is convicted of a more serious offence at the same time.
Just to clear up a few things.

By travelling in 1st class without a valid ticket you've committed a criminal offence. GTR are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. Prosecutions for this sort of thing are normally done through what is called a Single Justice Procedure Notice. This means that if you plead guilty it is not necessary to attend court in person (unless you choose to do), you simply return the form to the court with any mitigation you want them to take into account and they will write to you with the details of the fine you have to pay.

If you are prosecuted and plead guilty (or are found guilty by the court) then you will have to pay:

- A fine based on your income, normally discounted by a third if you plead guilty at the earliest opportunity
- A surcharge of 40% of the value of the fine
- A contribution towards TfL's costs
- Compensation for the fares avoided

If you are found guilty then this is a criminal conviction. If you are prosecuted under the Railway Bylaws (which is what normally happens) then the conviction isn't normally recorded on the Police National Computer and won't normally appear on Basic DBS checks although we always advise people to be honest when asked if they have a conviction.

The good news is that GTR will normally offer an out of court settlement in cases like this as long as you co-operate with them and haven't come to their attention before. An out of court settlement basically means you pay them som emoney and in return they won't prosecute you. Paying a settlement will feel like paying a fine but technically it's not a fine - a fine can only be imposed by a court as a punishment upon conviction. You won't have a conviction if you pay a settlement.

The first part of the process is that GTR will write to you saying they have received a report, are considering prosecuting but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. The issue at hand is that you haven't yet received a letter from GTR. As long as you gave the inspector your correct contact details, it's not in your interests to chase up GTR - if they want to prosecute they must 'lay papers before the court' within six months of the date of the offence. It's possible they've forgotten about your case. On the other hand they might have sent a letter that's gone missing in the post - if this did happen court papers might follow but if thsi happened you'd normally be able to contact GTR and explain what had happened and be offered a settlelemt.

A conviction for a railway byelaw offence, whether processed in court, via SJP, or otherwise, is non-recordable and does not appear on DBS checks, unless the offender is convicted of a more serious offence at the same time.
I see, I get it. Thanks, I appreciate it and will keep this thread updated
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,948
Location
UK
‍♂️ I thought there’s an issue on the whole train after I checked all 3 toilets. First class seemed odd to be a running service on this train while facilities weren’t fully working and just seemed like it’s a standard class train rather than anything else on top

Class 700s report their conditions to control, and if all three toilets were out of use then there should have been a message on the platform displays (and audio announcements) to say there were no toilet facilities on that train.

First class wouldn't suddenly be declassified as a result. Also, if you're going to Hatfield then walking up to the front of the train and not coming back means you have to walk the entire length of the platform to exit. Of course if you've never been to Hatfield before, you may not know that.
 
Last edited:

ExtraDude

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2025
Messages
30
Location
Sudbury Town
Class 700s report their conditions to control, and if all three toilets were out of use then there should have been a message on the platform displays (and audio announcements) to say there were no toilet facilities on that train.

First class wouldn't suddenly be declassified as a result. Also, if you're going to Hatfield then walking up to the front of the train and not coming back means you have to walk the entire length of the platform to exit. Of course if you've never been to Hatfield before, you may not know that.
Yes, I remember I walked quite a bit on the platform at Hatfield before finally using the toilet at the station

I won’t bring up any toilets or anything in the MG11 anyway, this is just so I understand how more experienced users of this forum see this as.

I only intend to apologize and ask politely for a settlement
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top