• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan line special - 1938 stock outings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Tickets have just gone on sale for a trio of Metropolitan line outings using the 1938 stock: https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/heritage-vehicle-outings/metropolitan-special

Friday 5 September: Amersham to Harrow (2x return journeys, 2x single journeys)
Saturday 6 September: Amersham to Watford (5x return journeys, 2x single journeys Harrow-Watford-Amersham and return)
Sunday 7 September: Amersham to Harrow (5x return journeys, 2x single journeys)

Sadly it is now unlikely that Sarah Siddons will also be in operation due to the previously reported defect identified en route to the Greatest Gathering - Sarah currently remains at Litchurch Lane.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
The Heritage Day as a whole will still be going ahead - as it is independent of TfL or the LTM - although I don’t know if the LTM will still be sending a vehicle. Other operators/owners also provide vehicles for the bus services.
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,959
Location
Devon
The Heritage Day as a whole will still be going ahead - as it is independent of TfL or the LTM - although I don’t know if the LTM will still be sending a vehicle. Other operators/owners also provide vehicles for the bus services.

How did the event go in the end @bluegoblin7?
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,739
Location
Watford
Small sample, but my mum and niece did it on Saturday, and thought it was great.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
How did the event go in the end @bluegoblin7?

Now it’s out the way… phew! I hope everyone who was able to join us on Friday and Saturday enjoyed themselves. We had some healthy loads and, with one exception due to a tree on the track, were able to allow photos at every reversal point (a challenge in itself with some incredibly tight turnarounds!).

I was one of the ‘operating officials’ from the Met line on the train over the weekend, and it was a privilege to speak to so many and show a little glimpse into this special train!

Apologies to anyone who was hoping for a photo at Watford on the penultimate trip yesterday and couldn’t… sadly the tree meant we had to do a rapid turn around (precisely the time it took me to change ends!) to protect the rest of the timetable, and the decision not to open the doors was one of the hardest and most considered I’ve had to make in my career…

Finally, just a personal note to the RailUK Forums community - today will go down as the second proudest (after closing Edgware Road cabin!) of my career. Never would I have thought a decade plus ago that I’d one day I’d be doing the role of the people who made me want to work for LU. It’s a massive full circle moment, and I’m very grateful to several here (you know who you are) who gave me encouragement and motivation to apply. Hopefully someone reading this will be the ‘me’ of another ten years.

If anyone has any photos or videos of the train I'd be incredibly grateful if you could share them with me - the only downside to being on it is you don't get to see it!

Small sample, but my mum and niece did it on Saturday, and thought it was great.
Excellent news to hear!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,959
Location
Devon
Now it’s out the way… phew! I hope everyone who was able to join us on Friday and Saturday enjoyed themselves. We had some healthy loads and, with one exception due to a tree on the track, were able to allow photos at every reversal point (a challenge in itself with some incredibly tight turnarounds!).

I was one of the ‘operating officials’ from the Met line on the train over the weekend, and it was a privilege to speak to so many and show a little glimpse into this special train!

Apologies to anyone who was hoping for a photo at Watford on the penultimate trip yesterday and couldn’t… sadly the tree meant we had to do a rapid turn around (precisely the time it took me to change ends!) to protect the rest of the timetable, and the decision not to open the doors was one of the hardest and most considered I’ve had to make in my career…

Finally, just a personal note to the RailUK Forums community - today will go down as the second proudest (after closing Edgware Road cabin!) of my career. Never would I have thought a decade plus ago that I’d one day I’d be doing the role of the people who made me want to work for LU. It’s a massive full circle moment, and I’m very grateful to several here (you know who you are) who gave me encouragement and motivation to apply. Hopefully someone reading this will be the ‘me’ of another ten years.

If anyone has any photos or videos of the train I'd be incredibly grateful if you could share them with me - the only downside to being on it is you don't get to see it!


Excellent news to hear!

That looked like a fantastic day out.

Just had a quick look through YouTube and there’s some really nice footage of it in this video:
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,739
Location
Watford
That looked like a fantastic day out.

Just had a quick look through YouTube and there’s some really nice footage of it in this video:
I can see my mum on it both ways - the white hair is a clue!
 

43094

Member
Joined
19 May 2010
Messages
1,010
Had an enjoyable trip to Watford on the 1215 ex Amersham, yesterday afternoon.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Photo at Watford
 

Attachments

  • 20250906_124402.jpg
    20250906_124402.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 60

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
572
Location
Maidstone
Was certainly interesting to watch on Saturday. The areas it went to, such as Amersham and Rickmansworth, were nice to look round in between spotting the stock.

Hopefully, next time it will be Sarah Siddons with the Bluebell Railway's Metropolitan railway coaches, however, what would be on the other end of the train locowise?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
That looked like a fantastic day out.

Just had a quick look through YouTube and there’s some really nice footage of it in this video:
Thanks for sharing this. Was certainly a fantastic day at work in my book...!
I can see my mum on it both ways - the white hair is a clue!
I enjoy spotting my arms in the offside/instructor window...! :lol:
Had an enjoyable trip to Watford on the 1215 ex Amersham, yesterday afternoon. Photo at Watford
A lovely photo! Glad you enjoyed it.
Was certainly interesting to watch on Saturday. The areas it went to, such as Amersham and Rickmansworth, were nice to look round in between spotting the stock.

Hopefully, next time it will be Sarah Siddons with the Bluebell Railway's Metropolitan railway coaches, however, what would be on the other end of the train locowise?
It won't be the Ashburys - the costs involved are too high to justify when LUL has its own 4TC rake that has had significant expenditure in recent years. It will be top and tailed with a class 20, as usual. The Ashburys were a one*-off for the 2013(/14/etc) anniversaries.

Never say never, but they don't factor into any current plans.
 

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
572
Location
Maidstone
It won't be the Ashburys - the costs involved are too high to justify when LUL has its own 4TC rake that has had significant expenditure in recent years. It will be top and tailed with a class 20, as usual. The Ashburys were a one*-off for the 2013(/14/etc) anniversaries.

Never say never, but they don't factor into any current plans.
Totally understandable. I'm glad that the 38 stock was used as an alternative for Saturday, and the Siddons, Class 20, and 4TC would be a good combination to see once Siddons is deemed fit to run again. How much would a seat cost on a tour like this in comparison to the 38 stock? as this does sound rather tempting.

I saw the Ashburys with the Met E tank in 2019 for the District line anniversary and potentially the last steam train on the Underground I believe? The platforms were certainly busy wherever I went to see it, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
 

Dualsystem

New Member
Joined
15 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
The outskirts
I have no new or profound observations to add, but this was my first experience of such an event, having been offered a ticket out of the blue by a friend of mine. I rode from Harrow to Amersham on the Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it, I found it to be well run, the staff were helpful and personable throughout and the atmosphere between riders was also pleasant. The highlight for me was around Chorleywood, the speed at least as I perceived it felt so impressive and whilst flying through stations between Moor Park and Harrow is nothing unusual, this certainly was! The gorgeous weather was the cherry on top, just as it would be if zooming along in a car at a comparable lick

All in all great fun, with a nice hint of nostalgia for me. 38s were still running on the Bakerloo when I used to occasionally travel to Elephant and Castle when I was 3/4 years old. The arrival of a red train with the green inside was particularly exciting for me and even though I rode on them much later on the Isle of Wight, that was never comparable in terms of the time machine experience

edited to change ‘ass’ to the intended ‘add’. Autocorrect trying to make an add of me…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top