• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink weeklies and other transport options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee15_16

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2009
Messages
39
First off I'll apologise now if the answer to this is glaringly obvious.

Spent the best part of today looking for such a thing as a week long season ticket to use on the Tram network in Manchester. My partner and I are going for 4 night's in September and I want to price up which method of transport will be cheaper. Does this season ticket exist and how much does it cost please?

Whenever I try to use the ticket selector on the Metrolink website It does nothing, I press NEXT and all it does is sit there with my options still highlighted.

I'm not sure if it matters which stop we get on at but we will be staying at the Travelodge at Salford Quays. I would hope to be able to use the ticket on any tram/stop/station but if it only allows one route then Salford Quays to the city centre would suffice. (Going to Trafford centre once or twice will have to be done another way if unlimited travel is unavailable).

Can anyone help me with this please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dggar

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2011
Messages
472
First off I'll apologise now if the answer to this is glaringly obvious.

Spent the best part of today looking for such a thing as a week long season ticket to use on the Tram network in Manchester. My partner and I are going for 4 night's in September and I want to price up which method of transport will be cheaper. Does this season ticket exist and how much does it cost please?

Whenever I try to use the ticket selector on the Metrolink website It does nothing, I press NEXT and all it does is sit there with my options still highlighted.

I'm not sure if it matters which stop we get on at but we will be staying at the Travelodge at Salford Quays. I would hope to be able to use the ticket on any tram/stop/station but if it only allows one route then Salford Quays to the city centre would suffice. (Going to Trafford centre once or twice will have to be done another way if unlimited travel is unavailable).

Can anyone help me with this please.

Metrolink does not go to Trafford Centre.
Best suggestion is to start at this site
http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Tickets/Pages/tickets.aspx

and check if any of the system one tickets suits.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
The ticket selector works for me. A weekly season from Salford Quays to Piccadilly is £15. For a weekly, no photocard is required and it can be bought from the ticket machine. There is no full network season but you can get full network day tickets, including bus, if you travel after 0930 Monday to Friday, anytime weekends. You will need to use the bus to get to the Trafford Centre. Or you could get the weekly tram season and get a bus only day ticket (for example a Stagecoach Dayrider, or System One Daysaver for all companies) when you need to use the bus.
 
Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
To get the Trafford Centre, you need up take a tram to Stretford, and then catch the ML1 Shuttle Bus to the centre.

If it's your first time at the Trafford, you will be very impressed. Even if you don't like shopping. It is a truly magnificent structure and I am awe-inspired every time I go in there!

As for the nearest Metrolink stop to the hotel, Anchorage or Salford Quays are about the same distance apart from the hotel.
 

Bee15_16

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2009
Messages
39
The ticket selector works for me. A weekly season from Salford Quays to Piccadilly is £15. For a weekly, no photocard is required and it can be bought from the ticket machine. There is no full network season but you can get full network day tickets, including bus, if you travel after 0930 Monday to Friday, anytime weekends. You will need to use the bus to get to the Trafford Centre. Or you could get the weekly tram season and get a bus only day ticket (for example a Stagecoach Dayrider, or System One Daysaver for all companies) when you need to use the bus.

That's exactly the information I needed. Thank you so much. I don't know why the ticket selector wouldn't work for me. With the weekly ticket, can I get on and off the tram at any stop between Salford keys and Piccadilly? Or is it subject to getting on at either of the two stops with no break of journey? Thank you
 

dggar

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2011
Messages
472
That's exactly the information I needed. Thank you so much. I don't know why the ticket selector wouldn't work for me. With the weekly ticket, can I get on and off the tram at any stop between Salford keys and Piccadilly? Or is it subject to getting on at either of the two stops with no break of journey? Thank you

There are no ticket barriers on the metrolink system.

If your ticket says " Valid after 09.30 up to date dd/mm/yyyy" there shouldn't be a problem.

This site may be useful:-
http://manchestertransport.wordpress.com/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To get the Trafford Centre, you need up take a tram to Stretford, and then catch the ML1 Shuttle Bus to the centre.

If it's your first time at the Trafford, you will be very impressed. Even if you don't like shopping. It is a truly magnificent structure and I am awe-inspired every time I go in there!

As for the nearest Metrolink stop to the hotel, Anchorage or Salford Quays are about the same distance apart from the hotel.

There is a Stagecoach bus service X50 that runs between Piccadilly and Trafford centre and passes by the Imperial War Museum of the North which is just over the bridge from the Lowery centre.

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/RouteMaps/X50.pdf

Incidently I've never been impressed by a visit to the Trafford centre.
 

Bee15_16

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2009
Messages
39
To get the Trafford Centre, you need up take a tram to Stretford, and then catch the ML1 Shuttle Bus to the centre.

If it's your first time at the Trafford, you will be very impressed. Even if you don't like shopping. It is a truly magnificent structure and I am awe-inspired every time I go in there!

As for the nearest Metrolink stop to the hotel, Anchorage or Salford Quays are about the same distance apart from the hotel.

Thank you, Yes first time staying longer than the day. Quite excited :)
Planning the 18 hole inside golf, Lego discovery and cinema. Still figuring out other things.


There are no ticket barriers on the metrolink system.

If your ticket says " Valid after 09.30 up to date dd/mm/yyyy" there shouldn't be a problem.

This site may be useful:-
http://manchestertransport.wordpress.com/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


There is a Stagecoach bus service X50 that runs between Piccadilly and Trafford centre and passes by the Imperial War Museum of the North which is just over the bridge from the Lowery centre.

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/RouteMaps/X50.pdf

Incidently I've never been impressed by a visit to the Trafford centre.

Thank you very much. I actually tried using the Ticket Selector in explorer instead of chrome and it worked! Stupid browser.

I assume I pay for a season ticket for that line. As Eccles to Piccadilly is the same price as Salford Quays to Piccadilly so changing line, to go to say Old Trafford, would need a separate ticket?

Forgive me, I want to be as clued up as possible by those in the know :)

Thank you.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Old Trafford stadium is within walking distance of Exchange Quay on the Eccles - Salford Quays - Piccadilly line, so you don't actually need to get the tram to Old Trafford. It isn't actually very far from Salford Quays either. During the Olympics, the canalside walk from MediaCityUK was one of the recommended routes to Old Trafford stadium.

But yes, if you intend to do any other lines other than the Eccles - Piccadilly line then you need a separate ticket. It may be worth evaluating whether you really want the weekly season ticket for that line, or a series of day tickets, with or without incorporating the bus, or maybe even a bus only weekly ticket and forget about the tram. The advantage of restricting yourself to buses is that they go everywhere, whereas the tram only goes to a few places.
 
Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
There is a Stagecoach bus service X50 that runs between Piccadilly and Trafford centre and passes by the Imperial War Museum of the North which is just over the bridge from the Lowery centre.

There is indeed, and the slower 250. However, this is of no use to the OP if he is getting a tram to Stretford. If he decides to get a bus instead, then indeed the X50 is the best option. I believe the combined tram/bus ticket is £6.50.

It may be worth evaluating whether you really want the weekly season ticket for that line, or a series of day tickets, with or without incorporating the bus, or maybe even a bus only weekly ticket and forget about the tram. The advantage of restricting yourself to buses is that they go everywhere, whereas the tram only goes to a few places.

This is one thing I was thinking; however, trams are slightly more unique compared to the bus. If considering a visit to the Trafford, you may find the X50/250 bus quite useful, because even if you go by tram you still need to get a bus from Stretford. You can also get the bus to Salford Quays. I believe the 50 serves the area.

In this particular case, the bus maybe better. It's Enviro 400 land in Manchester too, which are nice buses I think!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top