• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink tram withdrawn due to vandalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Greater Manchester Police are investigating a report of vandalism after a Metrolink service East Didsbury was terminated at St Peters Square at around 08:30 due to the vandalism deemed to be too serious to keep the tram in service. No details seem to be available about exactly what was vandalised.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,038
Location
Gloucester
What an absolute idiot. East Didsbury services run every twelve minutes. I appreciate the fact that people have places to be etc; I'm exactly one of those people who is constantly going from one place to another, but if I missed a tram I wouldn't react in such a manner over having to wait for the next service!! Twelve minutes really isn't going to make a life-changing difference.

People like this really, REALLY irritate me, and shock me thinking they can get away with such behaviour. I hope he is fined hundreds for such reckless actions.
 
Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
:D thats canny funny and certainly beats trying to punch a horse
 

jp4712

Member
Joined
1 May 2009
Messages
561
Location
Lichfield
I don't think it's funny at all. I'm sure the driver felt very threatened, and because one man missed his tram many people are inconvenienced. I hope he gets taken to Court.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
I'm guessing that when they say drivers window, they mean one of the side windows, trying to punch out the windscreen would be very difficult. Even then, one of those side windows must be quite pricy to replace. What would make this story even more outrageous (particularly for those on the tram) would be if our window punching friend was getting off before Trafford Bar.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
I was thinking running behind it and punching it, it would be a bit less dangerous
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
What an absolute idiot. East Didsbury services run every twelve minutes. I appreciate the fact that people have places to be etc; I'm exactly one of those people who is constantly going from one place to another, but if I missed a tram I wouldn't react in such a manner over having to wait for the next service!! Twelve minutes really isn't going to make a life-changing difference.

People like this really, REALLY irritate me, and shock me thinking they can get away with such behaviour. I hope he is fined hundreds for such reckless actions.

Idiots like that should be banned from public transport if they're going to behave in such a way that is deemed idiotic.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
:D thats canny funny and certainly beats trying to punch a horse
Perhaps you would like to sit in your car and I will smash the door window in for you!
Just to see how funny you think that is! <(
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
I don't think it's funny at all. I'm sure the driver felt very threatened, and because one man missed his tram many people are inconvenienced. I hope he gets taken to Court.

I don't think it's very funny either.

And for the record yes she did.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
He was probably furious that Mosley Street was demolished, as otherwise he would probably have caught up with it there.

Would be good if he is made to pay the full cost of repairs, if he is ever caught.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
He was probably furious that Mosley Street was demolished, as otherwise he would probably have caught up with it there.

Now you mention it, it seems that the platform aspect of Mosley Street is still intact (if Wikipedia is to be believed) and so he might have caught up with it there. So, perhaps it isn't so bizzare after all.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Flattened and all traces removed now

There is still a Metrolink departures display in that area. The intention being to show whether passengers for Altrincham should go to Piccadilly Gardens or Market Street for the next service, given that Mosley Street was served by all Altrincham trams while Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street are both served by alternate Altrincham trams.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Even when the platform was still present at Mosley Street, trams passed through without stopping anyway.

All southbound trams towards Altrincham and Salford Quays were supposed to stop there but if a pair of M5000s were used then special arrangements needed to apply.
 

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
When double M5000s were used the rear unit would be locked out of use until St. Peter's Square due to the low platform at Mosley Street.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top