• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink on 13th February 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Noticed today Ashton to Eccles trams are running in double formation and running via MediaCityUK and the Piccadilly to MediaCityUK trams aren't running. Is this a new thing and is it going to be perminant? I hope not personally.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,363
I hope not too!

May be related to the power failure at St.Peters square? I boarded a Bury tram there around 5:00 pm. None of the information boards, help points or ticket machines were working.

As such, not wishing to be fined, I phoned customer services who took my details in case revenue staff questioned my ticketless travel.
 

richardio123

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2012
Messages
105
Location
Fareham
It may be due to the fact the network is going to be split in half for a week and more trams may be needed at other depots simplest way to do it.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Has there been any pronouncements of what the network will look like when Victoria reopens?

I know at first the Eccles trams were going to terminate at Piccdailly and the Ashton to Piccadilly trams were going to be extended to Bury utilising the current Bury to Crumpsall shuttle. I have heard that this is not the case now and Ashton to Eccles is staying as it is.
 

richardio123

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2012
Messages
105
Location
Fareham
Well metrolink have said it's going back to how it was before Victoria closure so
Bury to Ashton ,
Altrincham to Bury,
Altrincham to Piccadilly,
Eccles/media city to Piccadilly,
East didsbury to Rochdale and
Airport to cornbrook
 
Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Well metrolink have said it's going back to how it was before Victoria closure so
Bury to Ashton ,
Altrincham to Bury,
Altrincham to Piccadilly,
Eccles/media city to Piccadilly,
East didsbury to Rochdale and
Airport to cornbrook

I think the Ashton to Eccles services are staying now Metrolink said on their Twitter that the trams which currently terminate at Abraham Moss will extend to Piccadilly but there will be no other route changes.

I haven't seen a map of the proposed routes post Victoria reopening and I don't think Metrolink has made one.
 

familyguy99

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
981
Location
Oldham
I think the Ashton to Eccles services are staying now Metrolink said on their Twitter that the trams which currently terminate at Abraham Moss will extend to Piccadilly but there will be no other route changes.

I haven't seen a map of the proposed routes post Victoria reopening and I don't think Metrolink has made one.

It was confirm on Skyscrapercity website that Bury to Ashton service will resume once Victoria fully reopening but this was confirm by TFGM and not by Metrolink so we probably have to wait until new maps start popping up until we found out if Bury line running back to Ashton which probably be Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=121377915&postcount=36444
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
What I am looking forward to mostly is having a direct Piccadilly to Victoria tram again.

The with the Ashton to Eccles and Piccadilly to MediaCityUK trams I generally find that in the morning a large amount of people arriving from Ashton want to go into the city centre (Piccadilly Gardens) while most people wanting to go to MediaCityUK come from trains arriving at Piccadilly hence when the Ashton to Eccles and Piccadilly to MediaCityUK trams are joined up Piccadilliy to Piccadilly gardens is very congested.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Metrolink have sort of posted a new route map on their website which shows the network as it is except the Bury to Abraham Moss trams have been extended via Piccadilly to Ethihad Campus.
 

familyguy99

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
981
Location
Oldham
What I am looking forward to mostly is having a direct Piccadilly to Victoria tram again.

The with the Ashton to Eccles and Piccadilly to MediaCityUK trams I generally find that in the morning a large amount of people arriving from Ashton want to go into the city centre (Piccadilly Gardens) while most people wanting to go to MediaCityUK come from trains arriving at Piccadilly hence when the Ashton to Eccles and Piccadilly to MediaCityUK trams are joined up Piccadilliy to Piccadilly gardens is very congested.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Metrolink have sort of posted a new route map on their website which shows the network as it is except the Bury to Abraham Moss trams have been extended via Piccadilly to Ethihad Campus.

Yeah I got leaflet talking about Victoria reopening and it mentions that Bury to Abraham Moss service will become Bury to Etihad service on Monday to Saturday and Bury to Piccadilly service on Sunday only.

Metrolink service from Monday 23rd Feb.

Altrincham to Piccadilly - 07:00 to 20:00 on Monday to Friday and 09:00 to 18:00 on Saturdays, this service will run all day Sunday.

Bury to Altrincham - all day Monday to Saturday but not run on Sundays

Bury to Etihad/Piccadilly - 07:00 to 20:00 on Monday to Friday and 09:00 to 18:00 on Saturdays, service will run only to Piccadilly on Sundays

Eccles to Ashton - Normal Service

East Didsbury to Rochdale - Normal Service

Airport to Cornbrook - Normal service.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/15938078024/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/16560655075/

^^ Them two links are service info from that Victoria leaflet.
 

Boysteve

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
235
Location
Manchester
I noticed new network maps inside the trams today (above the doors). It showed;
Bury-Etihad
Eccles-Ashton
Alty-Bury
Alty-Picc
Rochdale-East Dids
Airport-Cornbrook
MediaCity -Picc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never seen a Media City to Picc on a map before. It is always shown as MediaCity to Cornbrook even though this has never happened. It reality it either runs MediaCity-Picc or it doesn't run at all (usually on a Saturday) and Eccles and MediaCity are combined. This could be the first accurate map since the MediaCity extension opened. Wow, we are honored!
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Ah, that would explain why some trams were running as far as Etihad Campus on the weekend of 7th and 8th February. I just thought the first tram I saw (3046) was just on a late running Ashton service but then 3003 and 3015 were also on services to there too.

I think an Eccles to Ashton through service is very handy. I believe very strongly in cross-city services.
 

familyguy99

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
981
Location
Oldham
Ah, that would explain why some trams were running as far as Etihad Campus on the weekend of 7th and 8th February. I just thought the first tram I saw (3046) was just on a late running Ashton service but then 3003 and 3015 were also on services to there too.

I think an Eccles to Ashton through service is very handy. I believe very strongly in cross-city services.

BIB - That would been Rochdale to Etihad service that you saw running on 7/8th February due to work going on at Deansgate-Castlefield meant Bury service run to Ashton and Oldham/Rochdale service run to Etihad Campus.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top