• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

DGH 1

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2020
Messages
391
Location
County Durham
I don't see why length would be the issue. Metro have successfully operated 4x 555s coupled together out on the network for a delivery, and 3x 555s coupled together for a rescue during service hours, so 2x 555s plus the RHTT wagon (MA06) should theoretically be fine.

There is also an adapter for coupling a 555 to a metrocar, used for the first couple 555 deliveries, so I don't see why they couldn't use that for between a 555 and MA06. However, if they would need a 555 on either side, I'm not sure if they have two of these adapters, so that could be a problem.
I see, thank you for enlightening me.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

390Trains

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2023
Messages
75
Location
Sunderland
I have another sad update to bring you.

Metrocar update - 16th May 2026

For a third consecutive day, no Metrocars are out on the system. :(
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,096
Location
North Yorkshire
I have another sad update to bring you.

Metrocar update - 16th May 2026

For a third consecutive day, no Metrocars are out on the system. :(
Even if this is the standard now, I wouldn't be surprised to see some out next weekend as it is the big Radio 1 festival at Herrington (with shuttle buses from Heworth and Park Lane metro stations). There are three extra sets out on Friday and Saturday, and five on Sunday (because Sunderland are playing at home in the last game of the season as well). Of course, I am in London that weekend!
 

390Trains

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2023
Messages
75
Location
Sunderland
Metrocar update - 17th May 2026

As expected given that it's a Sunday and fewer trains are required, there are no Metrocars out today. This marks a fourth consecutive day with no Metrocars in service.
 

DGH 1

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2020
Messages
391
Location
County Durham
Metrocar update - 17th May 2026

As expected given that it's a Sunday and fewer trains are required, there are no Metrocars out today. This marks a fourth consecutive day with no Metrocars in service.
It's a bit depressing, thanks for the update though.
 

390Trains

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2023
Messages
75
Location
Sunderland
I’m coming to you with good news… the 555 that was originally on T108 seems to have carked it, which means…

Metrocar update - 18th May 2026

T108 (Green) - 4078 + 4081
 

kingston_toon

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2014
Messages
133
Hi, can anyone confirm whether the Metrocars are still out on T108? Hoping to catch them on their next run ex-Airport if so!
 

390Trains

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2023
Messages
75
Location
Sunderland
The Metrocars that were on T132 have been withdrawn due to developing a fault. T132 has been replaced with a Class 555.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Out of interest, what is the latest news on the scrap moves? Obviously the company that transported the metrocars to the scrapyard have gone into administration but is there any info when the scrap moves may start again?
 

390Trains

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2023
Messages
75
Location
Sunderland
Metrocar update - 21st May 2026

According to the Tyne and Wear Metro's Twitter account, there are no Metrocars out today. If a 555 fails, they might make an appearance later, but that's quite unlikely. I expect that there'll be a couple out over the weekend due to the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Sunderland: I'll share more updates here when I have them.
 

DGH 1

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2020
Messages
391
Location
County Durham
Metrocar update - 21st May 2026

According to the Tyne and Wear Metro's Twitter account, there are no Metrocars out today. If a 555 fails, they might make an appearance later, but that's quite unlikely. I expect that there'll be a couple out over the weekend due to the Radio 1 Big Weekend in Sunderland: I'll share more updates here when I have them.
As always, thank you for your information, it's very much appreciated.
 

mansonlo49

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2023
Messages
1,019
Location
uk
4009 - Last seen in service 31/03/2026
4020 - Withdrawn 09/01/2026. Stored Gosforth
4024 - last seen in service 31/03/2026
4027 - Withdrawn 10/02/2026. Stored Gosforth
4029 - last seen in service 31/03/2026
4035 - last seen in service 31/03/2026

4041 - last seen in service 31/03/2026
4050 - last seen in service 31/03/2026

4060 - Last seen in service 31/01/2026. Stored Gosforth
4061 - Last seen in service 25/02/2026. Stored Gosforth
4065 - Last seen in service 14/03/2026. Stored Gosforth

4068 - Last seen in service 30/03/2026
4069 - Withdrawn 25/10/2025. Stored Gosforth
4078 - Last seen in service 30/03/2026
4079 - Last seen in service 28/03/2026
4081 - Last seen in service 31/03/2026
4085 - Last seen in service 31/03/2026
Are there any units scrapping recently since the EMR dock or what went into administration
 

StoneRoad

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2010
Messages
486
Location
Haltwhistle
No plans for a big "last trips" day to mark the official withdrawal ?

Pity, if so.
I worked for the PTE for a while, just before the system started operating, even spending some time at the test track.
 

Top