A) Break of Journey (BoJ). All but eliminated on LU but still useful if you need to pop to the shops en route. Enforce splitting in this case will rarely be cheaper and often more expensive, especially between stations in the same cluster.
B) Returns - currently they're about a £1 than singles off peak - how would a station know (when I touched in) that I was making a return journey?
C)If one uses such a card like Oyster PAYG then consider the scenario below. If you buy a ticket "loaded" onto the card then ignore it
- want to travel from Birmingham [BHM] to Paignton [PGN] and return on Thursday
- I have £90 stored on my card
- A SVR costs £84.60 whereas a single is £83.50.
- The system doesn't know I intend to return on Thursday so it charges £83.50
- Leaving me in PGN with £6.50
- On Thursday I touch in at PGN but how does it know I'm going to BHM
- does it charge me £83.50 and leave me in the red until I touch out at BHM
- Does it charge the £1.10 difference in fares - but then how does it know I'm going to BHM?
- How would it work with a BoJ as per A) above
D) Season tickets - suppose I hold a Birmingham zones 2-5 weekly season. I touch in at Chester Road (CRD) which is in zone 3 and want to go to Tame Bridge Parkway.
- How does it know if I change at Aston/Duddeston (zone 2) or BHM (zone 1)? Admittedly a pink reader at interchange stations would work here
- What would it charge if I left the zones completely? For arguments sake let's say I went from CRD to Tamworth via Lichfield TV. The NWM zone ends at Blake Street so do I get charged from Blake Street/Boundary Zone 5 to Tamworth (via LTV) or from Boundary Zone 2 (if it exists) to Tamworth? Although pink readers at LTV will read it
- What if one never touched out until back in the zones? More for London this one but how would it know what to charge
I'd not fancy any changes to ticketing whilst we have a government determined to make passengers pay more and is definitely not a good idea with toothless Passenger Focus and passenger advocacy groups practically non-existent. Better the devil you know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Smart ticketing will probably end up being a way of preventing people from splitting their journey without changing trains.
Ignoring splits, though, it shouldn't be too difficult to programme a ticket to select the cheapest fare - isn't this essentially what Oyster does now by discerning between peak/off-peak, and relevant zone caps.
Yet there is clearly enough demand for
MikeWh's site to get off the ground and maintain activity.
Everything on that left side bar under "Pages" is complexity within the Oyster system although Buses & Trams and Wimbledon wouldn't apply to a wholly rail scheme. In terms of area the TfL network is tiny compared to the NR one.
Actually that wholly rail scheme reminded of just how would combined tickets work - Whether a nNetwork (valid on bus+metro too) or a plusbus?