• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Met line - Northwick Park announcement at Neasden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railguy1

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2016
Messages
254
Why do the southbound met trains constantly announce that the next station is Northwick Park at Neasden?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I’ve never heard them do this.
 

A60stock

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2019
Messages
249
Location
London
I had raised this question months back, since the area got resignalled and got no answer.

It seems to happen on southbound fast/semi fast trains. I wonder if someone can finally shed light on this
 

Railguy1

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2016
Messages
254
I wonder if it’s a particular train? I was on the semi-fast to Baker Street that arrived at Harrow at about ~0826am. I’ll try to get a recording but it’s normally quite busy so may be tricky.
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
761
Location
London
Buggy S stocks, though it’s probably more of a cbtc bug issue. Not a big issue though.
 

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
This morning train 411 next stop Northwick Park announced approaching Finchley Road southbound
 

DLRnotDave

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2020
Messages
35
Location
London
Can concor, happens an all the Southbound fasts I've been on since CBTC reached Preston Road
Anecdotally, I think all the ones I've been on recently have been switched to fasts at last minute HOTH due to disruption, not sure if the destination change makes a difference
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Anecdotally, I think all the ones I've been on recently have been switched to fasts at last minute HOTH due to disruption, not sure if the destination change makes a difference
This would actually make a lot of sense - and probably is therefore a CBTC bug. Drivers don't necessarily change the CIS code from an 'All Stations' code to a '(Semi-)Fast' one when they get a last minute diversion from Harrow. This should get corrected automatically when the train next passes over a track-based tag, or it can be overridden/set automatically by the CBTC system. I suspect there is some kind of mis-match that is recognising the train doesn't stop at Wembley, and so won't trigger any announcements there, but does when on the approach to Finchley Road. However, as it still 'thinks' the next station is Northwick Park, that is the announcement playing, then corrected automatically once an 'Accurate Stop' (AS) occurs at Finchley Road.

I'll see if I can confirm/deny this theory later in the week... and then I can absolutely pass it on to the CIS team too (albeit it is likely to be a short lived bug around SMA8/9 interfaces so may not get changed!).
 

Route115?

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2021
Messages
377
Location
Ruislip
In my experince the westbound indicator at Northwick Park can give odd information with trains sometimes dropping off (or did ,I've not noticed recently). I don't know if its to do with being on the signalling migration border. The announcements could have something to do with this and be a bug.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Westbound? I assume you mean Northbound (the Met is a north/south railway throughout).

Entirely separate and unrelated issue with the interface between CBTC and the legacy signalling.
 

Route115?

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2021
Messages
377
Location
Ruislip
Westbound? I assume you mean Northbound (the Met is a north/south railway throughout).

Entirely separate and unrelated issue with the interface between CBTC and the legacy signalling.

You are correct it is officially Northbound. However, the trains to Uxbridge are going westbound. I wonder if many people get confused at Ruislip Manor where the indicators show Northbound & Southbound or am I being pedantic?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
You're being pedantic. The Met is a north/south railway and is signed as such throughout. Across LUL all line directions are (generally) derived from how the line passes through Central London, the Met's of course pre-dating the all-day service to Aldgate.

To be equally pedantic, at Northwick Park trains are still northbound even if they then go on towards Uxbridge.
 

A60stock

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2019
Messages
249
Location
London
I was under the impression that the stations Great portland street - Aldgate are Eastbound/Westbound?

The Met main being Northbound/Southbound makes sense, irrespective of the all day running to Aldgate, as it follows a North/South ish sort of alignment, from Baker Street onwards.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
I was under the impression that the stations Great portland street - Aldgate are Eastbound/Westbound?

The Met main being Northbound/Southbound makes sense, irrespective of the all day running to Aldgate, as it follows a North/South ish sort of alignment, from Baker Street onwards.
Signed east/west but operationally are outer rail/inner rail.

Again this is a historical anomaly for the Met.
 

LondonMitch

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2016
Messages
9
As fast/semi-fast trains pass Neasden, CBTC switches it's destination code to an all stations one and prompts the driver to do the same on the train.
If the driver confirms the change before Finchley Road, it'll trigger the Northwick Park message because of a software bug
 

Itsjustesh

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2025
Messages
5
Location
Harwich Town
As fast/semi-fast trains pass Neasden, CBTC switches it's destination code to an all stations one and prompts the driver to do the same on the train.
If the driver confirms the change before Finchley Road, it'll trigger the Northwick Park message because of a software bug
Have they fixed it as of yet?
 

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
761
Location
London
S Stock still have bugs in 2026?
I was kidding but from my experience yes, but minor bugs such as internal door lights not switching off sometimes. If I could remember. Sometimes the external amber lights at stop don’t all light up if I can remember or the white light would show instead. However maybe this is normal for trains but because the s stock and 09 stock use much more light indication than former stock it’s very noticeable. Also the door chimes probably can sound milliseconds out of sync with each other. I think older stock probably just use one door chime for all the doors???
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top