• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Met 1 failed at Steam on the Met

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Sadly Met1 was failed after the 2nd run. I understand it will be top and tailed by a pair if 20's from Amersham to Harrow-on-the-Hill at about 17.30 & then on to Ruislip depot Shame but a great day & thanks to all at the LT museum & TFL for making it happen.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Sadly Met1 was failed after the 2nd run. I understand it will be top and tailed by a pair if 20's from Amersham to H ot H at about 17.30 & then on to Ruislip depot Shame but a great day & thanks to all at the LT museum & TFL for making it happen.

Oh what a great shame for all concerned. I wonder if they will re try again, perhaps over the August Bank Holiday.
 

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
On a more general note, how did the day go? I was looking forward to it for months, thinking it would be like the old "Steam on the Met" days where there was a two train service, headed by steam in each direction with three locos, one on each train and one resting. Admittedly they had a Class 20 or Sarah Sissons in each consist, AFAICR to provide air braking. The Steam on the Met days were good value and provided a great afternoon's entertainment.

Then I saw this year's programme :( Only one train and only steam hauled in one direction. And then I saw the ticket prices. :( :( . Decided not to go in the end, had an excellent afternoon with the family at the Herts County Show instead for a fraction of the cost.
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,103
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
You forgot to mention the feature event of the original Steam on the Met.
The Parallel running with trains overtaking then slowing to be passed.
Or High speed (within linespeed) steam passing each way.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
On a more general note, how did the day go? I was looking forward to it for months, thinking it would be like the old "Steam on the Met" days where there was a two train service, headed by steam in each direction with three locos, one on each train and one resting. Admittedly they had a Class 20 or Sarah Sissons in each consist, AFAICR to provide air braking. The Steam on the Met days were good value and provided a great afternoon's entertainment.

Then I saw this year's programme :( Only one train and only steam hauled in one direction. And then I saw the ticket prices. :( :( . Decided not to go in the end, had an excellent afternoon with the family at the Herts County Show instead for a fraction of the cost.

I must admit that when I saw details of this year's event, I had similar feelings. I'd previously seen adverts which mentioned 'fares from £15-£45', and had mistakenly assumed that £45 would be a day rover fare. I was therefore rather surprised that it was in fact the fare for one trip! I attended Steam on the Met in 1999 (which I think was the last one?) and it was a fantastic event - 4 steam in action, plus a 20 and Sarah Siddons, and the bonus of some parallel running. Still, I'm glad the event took place this year and plenty of people enjoyed it, even if I wasn't there.
 

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
Well, you've got some good photos, there's no denying that, and the red class 20 looks magnificent. All in all, I can see that a loot of work has gomne into organising the event and I suppose that the decider for me (bearingin mind taking the family also) was the expense. I was surprised to see the 4-TC set in use, when the adverts for the event said ex BR 1950's coaches were being used, I assumed this would be a Mk 1 set and that the 4-TC set (introduced at the time of the Bournemouth electrification in 1967) had been got rid of - even knowing that was going to be used might have been a clincher to persuade me to go. Whatever, it still seems to have been a shadow of its former self, and therefore a disappointment to those of us who had been expecting a repeat of what had been done previously.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,848
Location
Epsom
The 4-TCs were converted from older locomotive hauled Mk1 stock so the description is accurate. Have to say it looks very nice in the pseudo teak livery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top