• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail why does it finish so early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
often if you are going clubbing at soem fo the more prestigiuous venues it;s the counter flow morning communter services you want wit hthe risk of 4 and 5 am finishes

Back when I had the time for long summer Saturday daytrips, it was not uncommon for me to start my journey on the 05:49 from Birkenhead Central to Liverpool Lime Street.

I would usually see the 05:47 ex-Liverpool arriving in the other platform about half full of revellers from the early morning hours.

In midsummer, the sun would be sometimes be shining at that time and I always thought it a shame that people would be going home, presumably to bed at the start of such a beautiful day.

Then again I was young myself once. Can't remember exactly when the middle-aged mindset crept up on me. :D

I have heard of some clubs being open until 5am, so if I was a serious clubber nowadays, I would certainly forgo the night buses and taxis, and just get the first Merseyrail service of the following day.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,598
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Despite the extensive networks of night buses, in Germany, where this has long been the norm, they are generally fairly quiet and exist for reasons of social inclusion, whereas similarly the revellers leave the clubs around 5-6am and are on the first trains of the day.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
The Crewe-Stoke route must be one of the earliest finishes around with a last service Mon-Sat at 20:45, on a Sunday you can make a proper night of it and stop out until the 21:16!!

That's down to the signalbox opening hours - there's only 2 shifts and the morning commuter traffic is much more lucrative than off peak evening leisure traffic.

Then on a Sunday I believe it is on a single shift, hence the first service is well after lunchtime
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,298
Location
Bolton
The Crewe-Stoke route must be one of the earliest finishes around with a last service Mon-Sat at 20:45, on a Sunday you can make a proper night of it and stop out until the 21:16!!

That's down to the signalbox opening hours - there's only 2 shifts and the morning commuter traffic is much more lucrative than off peak evening leisure traffic.

Then on a Sunday I believe it is on a single shift, hence the first service is well after lunchtime

And yet, on a Sunday, there is a 2241 from Stoke-on-Trent to Crewe, which even calls at Kidsgrove and Alsager.

Monday - Friday there is a 2251, but it runs non-stop to Crewe.

This doesn't get to Crewe until 2310 so the box must be open at least that late...
 
Last edited:

notlob.divad

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2016
Messages
1,609
Back when I had the time for long summer Saturday daytrips, it was not uncommon for me to start my journey on the 05:49 from Birkenhead Central to Liverpool Lime Street.

I would usually see the 05:47 ex-Liverpool arriving in the other platform about half full of revellers from the early morning hours.

In midsummer, the sun would be sometimes be shining at that time and I always thought it a shame that people would be going home, presumably to bed at the start of such a beautiful day.

Then again I was young myself once. Can't remember exactly when the middle-aged mindset crept up on me. :D

I have heard of some clubs being open until 5am, so if I was a serious clubber nowadays, I would certainly forgo the night buses and taxis, and just get the first Merseyrail service of the following day.

Similarly to your story, I ran the Mersey Marathon, when it started in Birkenhead Park and ran through the Queensway Tunnel to finish at Mann Island. Merseyrail started their Sunday timetable on the loop line earlier to ensure all the runners and spectators could get across the water in time for the start. It was funny seeing the night revelers coming to on the steps to the subway stations, waiting for the first train, but not realising everything was started earlier. They couldn't work out what was happening with all these runners trying to descending the stairs around them. All jovial enough of course when they came too, but didn't half give them a shock.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
And yet, on a Sunday, there is a 2241 from Stoke-on-Trent to Crewe, which even calls at Kidsgrove and Alsager.

Monday - Friday there is a 2251, but it runs non-stop to Crewe.

This doesn't get to Crewe until 2310 so the box must be open at least that late...

Yeah, alright wise guy! I read that as Stoke-Derby (which I think the OP probably means!)
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Because there's too many scousers like to kick off after a night on the sauce!:D (probably)

Well it shouldn't affect us Wirralites on the Wirral line, as we aren't ______ Scousers. <(<(<(<(

I remember being told:
"Comin' over ere, nicking our jobs, that job could have gone to a hard working Scouser. Should brick up the tunnel etc. Youz are all like werms crawlin out of an 'ole in the ground"

So no. We are plazzys, thank you.

And, for the record, I reckon Merseyrail's 2330ish nightly finish time is spot on compared to many operators. Tis Metrolink in Manchester who've got it wrong with a 2230ish finish on a Sunday.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,920
And yet, on a Sunday, there is a 2241 from Stoke-on-Trent to Crewe, which even calls at Kidsgrove and Alsager.

Monday - Friday there is a 2251, but it runs non-stop to Crewe.

This doesn't get to Crewe until 2310 so the box must be open at least that late...


Stoke and Crewe PSBs which control that section are 24/7/365. It's Hilton Crossing, Egginton, Tutbury Crossing, Scropton, Sudbury, Uttoxeter, Caverswall and Foley Crossing boxes which are the problem. There's obviously quite a few of them so manning isn't cheap and the resignalling project is on a semi permanent hiatus.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,598
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
"Comin' over ere, nicking our jobs, that job could have gone to a hard working Scouser. Should brick up the tunnel etc. Youz are all like werms crawlin out of an 'ole in the ground"

"Werms", what a wonderful Scouse-ism :)

Time to recount a memory from my youth. In the mid 1990s taking advantage of the Merseyrail 50p special to go as far as possible (Chester). Coming back we stopped at one of the Birkenhead stations. Doors open, doors close. Then up runs a Birkenhead scally. Bangs on the window. "F****** Scousers. F*** off back to f*****g Liverpool" etc.

Doors open.

Scally legs it.

:)
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,937
Location
Fenny Stratford
I'm assuming it's purely down to cost. Merseyrail stations are fully staffed from first train to last, on top of the drivers & guards, the electricity bill etc. It still should be a bit later on a Friday & Saturday at least but the case would have to be made that it's a worthwhile venture, given it would almost certainly cost more than it would make in fares.

I agree - cost will be the real driver
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,196
Then on a Sunday I believe it is on a single shift, hence the first service is well after lunchtime

I know the reasons for the Derby line very early finish with the manned boxes but it does seem a shame that something else couldn't fill the void with at least one later service be that a diversion via Stoke of a Liverpool-Birmingham, a Vt/xc service, an LM short turn Crewe-Stafford, an EMT short to stoke and back or possibly an extension of a Northern service. There's ways of any of those with route knowledge and at LM we have t 4 units and 1 EMT unit stabled at crewe by 21:00.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Because there's too many scousers like to kick off after a night on the sauce!:D (probably)

If you get the last train down the Cheshire Lines route from Lime Street on a Friday or Saturday the problem is wools from Widnes, Warrington and Manchester kicking off. The Scousers will be staying out later and getting a cab.

We had the same thing when people accused Scousers of causing the London Midland service on Friday and Saturday evening to be alcohol free, not true, it was the people from Runcorn and further out. There are naff all Scousers drinking on the 10 minute ride to South Parkway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top